• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Made an OC Info Site

garand_guy

Being new to open carry (and the forum), I did my homework on the laws before I stepped out. I was also a little worried of confrontations and how to cite laws and justifications to people. So I recently made this little, informative website with basic QA about open carry, with citations! Links directly to the relevant statute and I've included some good arguments and information in favor of open carry.

www.nvopencarryinfocard.com

As the name implies, I'm going to print up some business cards with a very brief blub about open carry and a link to the website. I'll even include a QR code (one of those fancy new barcodes) that will link to the mobile version of the website if you scan it with your smartphone.

Of course, we all dread the moment when some ill-informed member of society raises a ruckus over why you have a gun. Rather than argue with them in public (if a good educational conversation just isn't going to happen; how I dread those with closed minds) or when you are asked to leave a business, you can always hand a card (or give them the URL). It's also a good start for someone who is interested, but doesn't know about open carry.

It's a work in progress, but I'm hoping it can answer some questions out there that folks might have. Your input is welcome.

Thanks!

The Big Guy

Good job. If memory serves it is also illegal to carry in a roadside rest stop. Can't remember the statute. I'll try to look it up later.

TBG

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Good job. If memory serves it is also illegal to carry in a roadside rest stop. Can't remember the statute. I'll try to look it up later.

From our Nevada Carry sticky: Per NAC 408.615 in a roadside park or rest area one may not "exhibit or use a firearm or other weapon." There is no definition given of exhibit, but per
NRS 408.433, the penalty for the first violation of this regulation is a fine of not more than $100.

I ignore it. It is not a statute, it is in the administrative codes, and not only is it ambiguous, but I would argue it is null and void by preemption statutes.

Last edited:

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
From our Nevada Carry sticky: Per NAC 408.615

Oops, I need to update that sticky, this last legislative session the maximum penalty for the first violation has been increased to $1000!

I totally agree that it should be invalid based on the preemption statutes, too.

Last edited:

garand_guy

The actual cards

Ordered these through Vista Print. They should be here next week. In the meantime, here's what they'll look like.

f.jpg
b.jpg

Feel free to print them out if you'd like.

TrmptPlyr

These look great!

As a side note, not sure how much you're paying for hosting (if at all), but I would be more than happy to host the site 100% free of charge ad infinitum as a service to our residents and visitors and in support of our 2A rights. PM me if interested.

garand_guy

Thanks for the compliment and the offer. I'm all paid up for the year, and was rather cheap. I just need more visitors and exposures. Pass out those cards!

z28power

Last edited:

Rusty Young Man

Those look pro garand_guy! Nicely done.

I've never had a "bad" encounter (except for once when I put myself into an easy-to-box-in situation, but nothing bad resulted from it), yet this idea of being able to point the sheeple in the direction of the actual statutes could really come in handy. I'll see what I can do about making some cards myself, even if OC is rather boring in AZ:p.

ADD.
Looked at the site, and it makes some good points. My only recommendation (request?) would be the inclusion of some more stories under the category of the "macho man" myth. Just to really hammer that sexist notion that only males have any interest in guns.

Here are some links from another thread here on OCDO:

[Posts quoted in their entirety, but without the quote "bubbles" in case someone later on wishes to simply quote the entire list].

Rusty Young Man in post 24:
To the OP: here is an list I think may help.

Psychiatrist examines anti-gun mentality (may explain your wife's stance):
http://www.vcdl.org/new/raging.htm
http://oldsite.vcdl.org/new/raging.htm

Naive pacifism (though I now doubt she is a real pacifist, this may be applicable):
http://www.learnaboutguns.com/2008/10/03/pacifism-a-naive-and-dangerous-approach-to-life/#kant

And here is one OCDO thread dealing with carry in places the antis usually say don't warrant carry (THANK Protias for keeping it fairly up to date):
http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?80229-No-need-for-a-gun

The advantage of the last one is the inclusion of links to news reports. Invaluable if you are trying to how someone that it isn't likely an Internet-perpetuated myth.

MKEgal in post 57:
"I've brought up having her take the basic pistol class. Can't say she was eager to do it, but I think she would at least give it a go."

If you see a Cornered Cat class near you, sign her up for it. See if there's an all-women class, 'cause the dynamic is completely different. Kathy Jackson is a nationally-known instructor.

www.corneredcat.com is a very good resource for women shooters, and has lots of useful info for shooters of all descriptions and plumbing types.

Here's why it's called "Cornered Cat", and would be a very good place for your wife to start exploring the articles on the site, as well as an explanation of why you carry.
There's a section on ethical questions, "why I carry a gun", understanding crime, and a section for men that you should read.

Beyond that, I think that Skidmark & PistolPackinMama gave good advice.
Try to get her to tell you exactly what her objection is, very specifically, and why she feels that way.
That's the only way you're going to be able to figure out how to help her address her fears or concerns.

golddigger14s in post 92:
A great site for your wife to check out:
http://www.thewellarmedwoman.com/man-i-might-have-killed
Send her an email for her book.

Grapeshot in post 94:
Also two more fantastic sources:

The book Armed & Female by Paxton Quigley
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articl...f-defense-expert-paxton-quigley-says-yes.html

And the site The Cornered Cat
http://www.corneredcat.com/

Last edited: