• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Magazine Capacity

Did you believe there was an ammo limit when hunting deer in Wisconsin?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Parabellum

Founder's Club Member
imported post

When I first purchased my rifle at the Gun Show I was told by the dealer that if I wanted to use it for hunting, I would need to purchase a 5 round magazine apart from the 30 magazine it came with. I have been told this by three dealers, both hunter uncles and other individuals who hunt often. BNH and myself were having a discussion on DNR regulations when I made the off hand comment about the maximum limit of ammunition a firearm can hold while hunting Deer in Wisconsin. He contested my statement and found myself at a loss. I have never actually read anywhere in the regulations a limit on ammo in a firearm sans water-foul three shells limit. I think misinformation has been spread regarding this aspect of hunting. But for the sake of discussion...

Can anyone make a cite to any DNR regulation or state lawthat limits ammo for anything other than water-foul?

Is it illegal to hunt deer (or any other animal)with a 30rd magazine in a firearm?

logan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I used to think there was a limit. Not sure what, but like 5 or 6 or so. But I have never seen that anywhere or heard it from an official source. After buying my AR, a lot of people lead me to believe I could hunt with it, using my 30-round magazines. If I had gotten out and went hunting this year, I might have tried it out!

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Theonly restriction on magazine capacity in Wisconsin is migratory bird (water foul) which is in line with federal regulations, that being three (3) rounds total.

There isno maximum magazine capacityfor allother forms of hunting or carryin Wisconsin.

For those who voted "yes," likePara requested, please cite your source.

across Death's Door on Washington Island, Wisconsi
imported post

The only the laws that are enforced do we suffer, like a five round magazine limit or having within reach an encased hunting-firearm in a vehicle.

I've just watched dozens of strangers walk four abreast down roads bordered on both sides, for miles, by private land.

I've just watched many cased deer guns pulled from behind PU seats.

Citizens legally armed with pistols as defensive weapons are a minority wrongly discriminated against.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Master Doug Huffman wrote:
bnhcomputing wrote:
Theonly restriction on magazine capacity in Wisconsin is migratory bird (water foul) which is in line with federal regulations, that being three (3) rounds total.
I think that a citation preferably of State law is being sought.

Right from the Wisconsin DNR WEB site:

http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/land/wildlife/faq/weapons/Q4.htm

Are there any magazine capacity restrictions for firearms?
There is a 3 shell maximum firearm capacity while hunting migratory game birds. For all other species there is no maximum magazine capacity, however, fully automatic weapons are prohibited.

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

Parabellum wrote:
Can anyone make a cite to any DNR regulation or state lawthat limits ammo for anything other than water-foul?

Is it illegal to hunt deer (or any other animal)with a 30rd magazine in a firearm?

Since no such Code or Statute exists, there is none to cite....;)

If such a silly Code did exist, the DNR would have reference it in giant bold letters in the little paper "rule" books they give our for free with a license. Few people realize that the little paper books are not the actual "laws" but they are fairly safe assuming so..

logan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

bnhcomputing wrote:
For those who voted "yes," likePara requested, please cite your source.
The question for the pole is "Did you believe there was an ammo limit when hunting deer in Wisconsin?" I answered yes, because back when I deer hunting, I did believe there was a limit. I'm not saying I saw that anywhere and can prove that there is. Just saying that's what I believed at the time.

Lammie

Campaign Veteran
imported post

All Wisconsin hunting statutes are contained under Chapter 29 Subchapters II, III, and IV. There is no restriction as to magazine capacity, other than migratory birds.

Mugenlude

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I limit on the number of rounds, in fact I just took my 6.8spc AR-15 rifle into the woods and came out with a nice 5 point buck this weekend... I was only using my 10 round magazines though (a pair of them) because having 25 rounds would be overkill and only extra weight I would have to carry around...

Yooper

imported post

The MI DNR, in all their infinite wisdom, limits semi-automatic rifles (except .22) and shotguns to 6 shots, everything else is unlimited (except for federal migratory 3 shot restriction). I have no idea why they came up with such a retarded thing....but it's the way it is.

SprayAndPray

imported post

Slap in the Beta Mag and go to town....

My question was , in this years pamphlet it says shotguns have to be 18" and rifles 16" to hunt with.... Is that codified or is DNR making up rules as they go again?

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
imported post

Some years ago the idiots at the Brady Campaign falsely stated on their website that it was illegal to hunt with more than 10 rounds in every state. A few minutes of searching the web showed that there were actually very few states that had a limitation... I wrote to them and pointed that it was not true in Wisconsin, nor was it true in a majority of the states. Of course they're not know for their concern about small details, like the truth. They are only concerned with pushing an agenda.

Cobbersmom

imported post

Parabellum wrote:

There is no regs on ammo limits other than the migratory bird.

I could hunt with a 30 round mag, but why would I want to? Way too heavy to carry and who can haul 30 deer out of the woods at one time? <g> I'm assuming you only need one shot to drop them, like me!

Lammie

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Spray and Pray:

The minimum barrel lengths of 16 inch for rifles and 18 inches for shotgun was established by the National Firearms Act of 1934.

Lammie

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Cobbersmom:

I agree. I hunt in a shotgun zone. My weapon of choice is a single shot Winchester 12 gauge with a 4X scope. Last Saturday I got my deer, seven point buck, with one shot at 105 yards. The first shot is the one that counts, My opinion isthat magazines are just a place to carry extra ammunition instead of in ones pocket. But then again to each their own. Thats why there are so many different makes of automobiles.

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

Lammie wrote:
All Wisconsin hunting statutes are contained under Chapter 29 Subchapters II, III, and IV. There is no restriction as to magazine capacity, other than migratory birds.

Don't forget about the administrative code. NR10 is the remainder of the hunting "laws" and much of what is found in the little paper "rule" books you get with your license. Violating the Administrative code subjects you only to a civil forfeiture (fine).

The code contains no magazine restriction either.

Interceptor_Knight

imported post

SprayAndPray wrote:
Slap in the Beta Mag and go to town....

My question was , in this years pamphlet it says shotguns have to be 18" and rifles 16" to hunt with.... Is that codified or is DNR making up rules as they go again?

Do not confuse the little "rule" book with actual Statutes or Code. They are loosely stating that they are illegal. This is the truth unless they are registered. The little rule book is only intended to be a general guideline to keep people out of trouble. The 16" and 18" "rule" is intended todiscourage Bubba from hacking his barrel shorter.

The reality is that so long as you have the$200 tax stamp, you may hunt with a suppressed and short barreled rifle. There is no NR code nor WI Statute prohibiting it,just as there is nothing prohibiting Open Carryand nothing prohibiting you from wearing a purple shirt on Thursdays....

opusd2

imported post

Judging from the person hunting about a mile away from me this weekend, there is no obvious limit. The way He/She show their semiauto rifle, you'd think they came upon a herd of deer and had unlimited tags.

About an hour into the hunting season, I heard a rifle fire off a steady and quick ten shots, a moment passed, and five more shots were heard. Now I am for a person to carry whatever, but if you fire off fifteen shots in such a rapid succession and don't come up with a herd of elephants, then you should just get out of the woods and practice for a while.

But it did sound pretty cool to hear that many shots go off, I started to wish I had magazines with more capacity that the Remington 700 I was using. But then I was taught to shoot with a single shot and to make my shots count, and they do.