• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Maine State Police support permit-free concealed carry

Mike

Site Co-Founder
http://www.breitbart.com/big-govern...port-rescinding-concealed-permit-requirement/

SNIP

According to WCSH 6, residents of Maine packed the Augusta State House to support Brakey’s contention that having a concealed carry permit requirement in an open carry state is the same thing as punishing concealed carriers.

They pointed out how people who want to legally carry a concealed handgun have to apply for a license and literally wait to receive a document from the government before they can exercise their Second Amendment rights.

. . .

Maine State Police shared Brakey’s concern over differentiating between when a gun is or isn’t concealed, referring to “inconsistencies with the existing law.” They contend that Maine would “be better off” without a concealed permit requirement.

. . .

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I'd say that the odds of Maine getting Constitutional Carry just took a quantum leap forward.
icon14.png

Last edited:

press1280

Quantum leap = an abrupt, large increase; a sudden large increase or advance.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/quantum+leap

I stand by my original intention and meaning.

This could do a lot to help advance to cause in Maine.

This is very good indeed. Now, I don't know all the specifics of Maine's CC laws, but one question is will the local sheriffs (those who get the $$ for the permits) support, be neutral, or oppose?
In WV we had the state police (who aren't in the CC permit business) not take any position, while the sheriffs association actively opposed our permitless carry bill by sending officers (probably on the clock) to testify that their safety would be compromised if the bill passed.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
This is very good indeed. Now, I don't know all the specifics of Maine's CC laws, but one question is will the local sheriffs (those who get the $$ for the permits) support, be neutral, or oppose?
In WV we had the state police (who aren't in the CC permit business) not take any position, while the sheriffs association actively opposed our permitless carry bill by sending officers (probably on the clock) to testify that their safety would be compromised if the bill passed.
I am told by a friend and activist in Maine that not only is the Sheriff's Association supporting this, but that the governor authored the state police response/endorsement.:)

BTW - permits are not issued there by sheriffs, but rather by municipal LEA or state police.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Maine

Tactical9mm

I'm going to be really irritated if Maine leapfrogs NH.

Same here, but I don't think it will happen. I assume this requires legislative process to repeal existing Maine cc-permission slip infrastructure, and the Maine house is a democrat majority (at the moment). I think this will be the bottleneck that holds up this bus.

I hope I'm wrong however, and i wish Maine the best of luck getting this going.

boyscout399

Against permits? Do they enforce laws that make it a violation to CC w/o a permit? Talk and walk, please.

are you saying the state police shouldn't enforce the current law if they oppose it?

Shouldn't they enforce the laws as written, and if they disagree with them, work to get them changed? Isn't that what a civil society would do? I for one don't want my police force picking and choosing which laws they will or will not enforce. That's a dangerous road, and it's not their job to review the laws. That's basically what the Obama administration is doing with illegal immigration... No thanks

77zach

are you saying the state police shouldn't enforce the current law if they oppose it?

Or course. The law is immoral and violates a fundamental human right, not to mention useless. Only boyscouts believe in the Nuremberg Defense.

Last edited:

OC for ME

Shouldn't they enforce the laws as written, and if they disagree with them, work to get them changed? Isn't that what a civil society would do? I for one don't want my police force picking and choosing which laws they will or will not enforce. That's a dangerous road, and it's not their job to review the laws. That's basically what the Obama administration is doing with illegal immigration... No thanks
Officer discretion. It is used daily, likely many times a day. The arrest and prosecution for the mere peaceful possession of a properly holstered CC'd firearm is not supporting permit-free concealed carry. If prosecutors know that cops will not arrest for folks just hiding a gat under their shirt w/o a permit, when that is the only violation, then the state will either get cops who will arrest folks, or the state will get rid of a ineffective law that is not being enforced on peaceful LACs.

It is amazing that some folks have a issue with this concept...not arresting folks for going about armed for self-defense and not harming anyone. The "law and order crowd" ... :rolleyes:

press1280

Same here, but I don't think it will happen. I assume this requires legislative process to repeal existing Maine cc-permission slip infrastructure, and the Maine house is a democrat majority (at the moment). I think this will be the bottleneck that holds up this bus.

I hope I'm wrong however, and i wish Maine the best of luck getting this going.

Not really, it should be a minor change since the CC licensing scheme itself will be left in place. It still has to get through the legislature though.

boyscout399

Officer discretion. It is used daily, likely many times a day. The arrest and prosecution for the mere peaceful possession of a properly holstered CC'd firearm is not supporting permit-free concealed carry. If prosecutors know that cops will not arrest for folks just hiding a gat under their shirt w/o a permit, when that is the only violation, then the state will either get cops who will arrest folks, or the state will get rid of a ineffective law that is not being enforced on peaceful LACs.

It is amazing that some folks have a issue with this concept...not arresting folks for going about armed for self-defense and not harming anyone. The "law and order crowd" ... :rolleyes:

Maine has permitless carry already. It's not like they are preventing folks from carrying at all. Also, I'm not a fan of "officer discretion." I don't think that's the job of a police officer. Police officer's are there to enforce the laws as written, not pick and choose what they personally want to enforce.

boyscout399

Or course. The law is immoral and violates a fundamental human right, not to mention useless. Only boyscouts believe in the Nuremberg Defense.

The law preventing concealed carry does not violate a "fundamental human right."... Maine has a permitless carry option. CC is just convenience. Don't get me wrong, I very much support this bill, but I think it's a far cry to compare an officer enforcing the law as written as it pertains to concealed carry vs an officer committing genocide on orders...

KBCraig

The best way to overturn bad laws is to enforce them with zero exceptions.

When police stopped using discretion and started arresting little old white ladies on their way to church over the revolvers in their purses or glove boxes, when "everyone knows" those those laws were only supposed to be used against "real criminals", we saw the explosion of shall-issue gun licenses.

JoeSparky

Centurion
The best way to overturn bad laws is to enforce them with zero exceptions.

When police stopped using discretion and started arresting little old white ladies on their way to church over the revolvers in their purses or glove boxes, when "everyone knows" those those laws were only supposed to be used against "real criminals", we saw the explosion of shall-issue gun licenses.

Along this line the "elected ones" should only be passing laws they are will to have enforced, much like never promise a child a consequence one is not willing to deliver cuz the child will sure test this. If they are not willing to have the law enforced on EVERYONE then that law should be revoked, repealed, and done away with!

Remember, supposedly we are to all be equal under the law but if the law is not applied the same towards all then this is turned on its head!

77zach

The law preventing concealed carry does not violate a "fundamental human right."..

Of course it does, especially in ME'S climate and the fact that it's inconvenient and even dangerous to handle a gun to unload and load it every time one gets into or out of a vehicle.

I understand but reject the idea CC is not a right. I agree with Vermont and their Supreme Court