• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Manassas

ps1mhd

I will be going to Manassas the end of the month for rolling thunder from Ky. I will be on my Harley.
What laws if any do I have to watch out for?

Mike D

FreedomVA

Manasshole, is ok place with open or CC......

watch out for the mexican pulling insurance scam.....they will slam their brakes on you to collect insurance payout.

There will be a lot of inconsiderate drivers, keep an eye out.....

If your off of rt.28, stop by Captain D for some good seafood fast......

bbMurphy

If you're going to participate in the full Rolling Thunder ride, remember that it goes into D.C. where OC or CC will be met with a very dim view of your 2A rights. As long as you stay in Virginia, you're good while riding. OC wherever, no permit required, CC with a CHP. *** Edited to refrence a glaring ommision... As long as you stay off of/out of federal property. They don't like guns of any kind.

Last edited:

solus

Got a friend who is riding his scoot from NC > CA to join up to ride back to DC...tis a better man than I!

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Rolling Thunder ride is a "First Amendment Demonstration Run..." What if ALL those bikers strapped a rifle on their back while riding into DC; do you really think the police would harass them?

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Not only is OC fine; CC is fine with a permit, and VA recognizes all other permits.

But I echo -- the actual ride begins in the Pentagon parking lot, thus federal property, and DC is not at all friendly.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Not only is OC fine; CC is fine with a permit, and VA recognizes all other permits.

But I echo -- the actual ride begins in the Pentagon parking lot, thus federal property, and DC is not at all friendly.
But, who is going to challange a thousand bikers with rifles on their backs?

ps1mhd

I've seen numbers from 80,000 to 1.5mil biker going. This is the last one.
Unless they install metal detectors at the state line CC should be safe.
Better judged by 12 than carried by 6.

Mike D

color of law

Accomplished Advocate

Mike D
Last one, at least 80,000 bikers, even more of a reason for those bikers to strap a rifle loaded rifle to their backs.

Tess

Founder's Club Member

Mike D

Last one, at least 80,000 bikers, even more of a reason for those bikers to strap a rifle loaded rifle to their backs.

From the forum rules:
(14) LONG GUN CARRY IS OFF-TOPIC: This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. We do NOT promote the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the members of this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control and lack of trigger guard coverage, we cannot support long gun open carry.
(15) WE ADVOCATE FOR THE 'LAW-ABIDING' ONLY: Posts advocating illegal acts of any kind are NOT welcome here. Even if you feel that a law is unconstitutional we do not break it, we repeal it or defeat it in the courts.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
From the forum rules:
(14) LONG GUN CARRY IS OFF-TOPIC: This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. We do NOT promote the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the members of this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control and lack of trigger guard coverage, we cannot support long gun open carry.
(15) WE ADVOCATE FOR THE 'LAW-ABIDING' ONLY: Posts advocating illegal acts of any kind are NOT welcome here. Even if you feel that a law is unconstitutional we do not break it, we repeal it or defeat it in the courts.
As to rule (14) - The subject matter is not long guns, it is exercising a constitutional protected right.

As to rule (15) - Carrying guns into DC is a protected right. Article VI of the Constitution describes what qualifies as the law of the land. The only national laws are the Constitution, congressional law, and treaties. And, congressional law (statutory law) and treaties are only lawful if they pass constitutional muster. In Heller, Scalia told you what the law of the land is, the “Second Amendment implicitly recognizes the pre-existence of the right and declares only that it ‘shall not be infringed.” Then Scalia reiterated, “Our opinion is, that any law, State or Federal, is repugnant to the Constitution, and void, which contravenes this right, originally belonging to our forefathers.”

You cited rules (14) and (15) for what purpose?

mobeewan

The Pentagon is actually in Arlington Virginia but as you pointed out it is still Federal property.

solus

Mike D
OK, please let's not confuse 'Rolling Thunder' parade - Friday, May 24th is a biker gathering begins at the Pentagon, with "Run to the Wall' - 15 > 24 May comprised of bikers from across the country participate who converge in DC., these are two separate activities. Run for the Wall press release, quote:

Run for the Wall® and Rolling Thunder ARE NOT the same organization, and are not affiliated. They never have
been affiliated, nor have they ever been the same thing or organization.

The Rolling Thunder organization has announced that 2019 will be the last year they will have their 2-mile
demonstration parade in Washington, DC, the Sunday of Memorial Weekend.

This has ZERO impact on Run for the Wall® operations.

We [Run for the Wall] will always ride to Washington, DC… Every Year. We we will always lay our “Mission Complete” Plaque at the
apex of the Vietnam Memorial Wall. We will still go to Arlington National Cemetery. We will still wash The Wall.
We will still gather on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial for a group photo.

so both events mean there will be gaggles of scoots, riders & passengers roaming DC this upcoming weekend!

Last edited: