• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

May I suggest a different choice of words when referencing one's firearm?

Tony_B

The media and [so-called] law enforcement always refer to firearms of any type as "weapons." The term weapon, at least to my ears and I suspect the majority of the brainwashed masses, tends to connote an item used in an offensive nature as opposed to a defensive nature. A weapon sounds menacing.

Might I suggest that we use the term "firearm" when referencing those items we own that are best characterized as "firearms?" I'm not sure when and where the term weapon came into play in describing what we know as firearms, but I'm certain is was calculated to elicit a specific response in those people who hear that term. A negative one at that.

Furthermore, using an opponent's terms to define us and our property can never be a good thing. Just a thought I've had for some time that I'd throw out for consideration.

Last edited:

Merlin

Might I suggest that we use the term "firearm" when referencing those items we own that are best characterized as "firearms?".

Agreed. I already do this. Consistent, non-threatening terminology can only benefit us. If anyone doesn't agree with that, then try calling your pocketknife a pig-sticker, and see where that gets ya.

Speaking if knives, the same applies, and maybe even more so. In many places, if a knife is agreed to be a 'weapon', then it can get you in trouble. If it is a tool, that is different. One reason I like my Leatherman.

Never, ever, acknowledge, or permit an LEO to refer to anything on you as a weapon. He is likely stealthily using the terminology to preheat your goose. "What weapon, oh, you mean my firearm/utility-tool? Gotcha."

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Maine Expat

Fararm, gun, self defense weapon. Its all good. :banana:

But yes, many people do get the wrong idea and many intentionally promote said wrong idea to scare the unknowing into deeper ignorance.

Carry on!

sharkey

I'm not going PC

Sorry. Mine is a weapon. Maybe I'll start referring to it as my instrument of death. :p

If you're looking for a warm fuzzy moniker call it a peacekeeper.

sharkey

Agreed. I already do this. Consistent, non-threatening terminology can only benefit us. If anyone doesn't agree with that, then try calling your pocketknife a pig-sticker, and see where that gets ya.

Speaking if knives, the same applies, and maybe even more so. In many places, if a knife is agreed to be a 'weapon', then it can get you in trouble. If it is a tool, that is different. One reason I like my Leatherman.

Never, ever, acknowledge, or permit an LEO to refer to anything on you as a weapon. He is likely stealthily using the terminology to preheat your goose. "What weapon, oh, you mean my firearm/utility-tool? Gotcha."

Gotcha how? He carries his service weapon, not tool. I'm not legally barred from carrying weapons of the type we're discussing. Now if s/he refers to my weapon as a criminal device then we'll worry about semantics. But in what jurisdiction/court could someone respectfully argue "He was up to no good. He acknowledged he was carrying a weapon, not a firearm"?

I've gotta look at your location. ETA. Vegas? I don't think you should even fret over this.

Last edited:

Merlin

I don't think you should even fret over this.

Nope, no fret, just discussion. Part of seeing our agenda of OC succeed is getting civilians on our side. If I have to friendly up my language a bit to achieve that, a small price to pay.

I prefer the term constitutionally-protected-constitution-protector.

mwaterous

I have to respectfully disagree with this as well. It is a weapon. My pocket knife can be used as a tool; I can cut through meat with it to make bite size chunks, I can open a box, I can saw at wood if I need some kindling. My gun is a weapon. I never remove it from it's holster to hold something down with its weight, and I sure as heck don't use it to hammer nails. If it comes out of its holster to be used, it will be used as a weapon.

What people need to be more comfortable with is us, not the "tool" or "weapon".

FTG-05

"The mind is the weapon, everything else is a tool."

Having said that, my firearm/sidearm/revolver/S&W 329PD/Glock M23 is still a weapon. I could care less about people who think that there might be a difference between the two. Not referring to the OP here, just the type of people that *might* be swayed by calling something different will actually change their minds about it.

tcox4freedom

I don't use my "firearm" to hammer nails and it's worthless as a wrench or screwdriver.

However, I have heard of someone using it as a drill. Unfortunately, that resulted in a tragedy.

I think the sheeple need to get more comfortable with the term "weapon".

weap·on

[wep-uhn] Show IPA noun

any instrument or device for use in attack or defense in combat, fighting, or war, as a sword, rifle, or cannon.

2. anything used against an opponent, adversary, or victim:

IDK about the rest of you, but this defines what I carry fairly well. ^^^^

-

Last edited:

papa bear

go ahead and use the term "weapon",in NC a weapon is illegal.

the Brady bunch loves to use the word "weapon", because it does conjure up the aggressive use of the term.

a weapon is an offensive item that is used to kill. period. not a device for the production of meat, or to protect your selves from BGs, or just a firearm we love to shoot down range

if you use the term "weapon" then you are the same as the Brady bunch

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
... A weapon sounds menacing.

Might I suggest that we use the term "firearm" when referencing those items we own....

Well, it really does depend on the firearm in question.

For example, in NRA Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun courses, we very specifically do not use the term "weapon." These are safety and shooting courses, not defensive. There should hopefully never be a need to refer to your $20,000 Perazzi shotgun as a weapon.

But in the NRA Personal Protection courses, we do call them weapons, because that's what they are.

Especially for OC firearms, I like the term "sidearm." Handguns, after all, are designed to be weapons carried at our side when do not expect that we will need a weapon.

Last edited:

mwaterous

go ahead and use the term "weapon",in NC a weapon is illegal.

the Brady bunch loves to use the word "weapon", because it does conjure up the aggressive use of the term.

a weapon is an offensive item that is used to kill. period. not a device for the production of meat, or to protect your selves from BGs, or just a firearm we love to shoot down range

if you use the term "weapon" then you are the same as the Brady bunch

Don't you think sticking your head in the sand and pretending it's something other than what it is makes you (or anyone in a rhetorical sense) more like the brady's than accepting it for what it is? Attacking an issue that's a non issue just because telling someone the sky is green when it's actually blue will make them pee their pants just a little less... seems to me like a huge waste of effort.

A gun is a weapon is a weapon is a weapon. You don't open letters with a sword. You don't hang pictures with a bow. Brass knuckles don't make good dental tools, just good dentist bills.

pfries

Personally mine is medical device designed to save lives.
It injects a large dose of minerals in a rapid manor necessary to saving lives.

Maine Expat

I have to respectfully disagree with this as well. It is a weapon. My pocket knife can be used as a tool; I can cut through meat with it to make bite size chunks, I can open a box, I can saw at wood if I need some kindling. My gun is a weapon. I never remove it from it's holster to hold something down with its weight, and I sure as heck don't use it to hammer nails. If it comes out of its holster to be used, it will be used as a weapon.

What people need to be more comfortable with is us, not the "tool" or "weapon".

There ya go!

I generally have a smile on my face, hold doors for folks and say "hi, how ya doin?" and generally get pleasant replies in return. Starting this weekend, I'll see if the responses change much when I pick up my Bersa 45 and start OCing for the first time. I'm guessing friendly overtures will get mostly friendly responses with the usual OC questions right after.

I won't have a recording devise to start with, but keep an eye on the Maine board for OC reports.

Merlin

Don't you think sticking your head in the sand and pretending it's something other than what it is makes you (or anyone in a rhetorical sense) more like the brady's than accepting it for what it is?

I don't think anyone is suggesting that we pretend that it is something else. I think the OP's question is a valid one. Would/could our cause (OC, and firearms possession in general) benefit from a more public-friendly vocabulary? Sure, why not. Nobody is required to comply. We're just discussing whether it might benefit the cause. I for one think it couldn't hurt.

I don't refer to my firearm as a "gat" (except maybe jokingly amongst gun-toting friends). Why? Cause it makes you sound like a wanna-be gangbanger.

I don't refer to its use as "bussin' a cap", I use the the phrase "using justifiable lethal force".

Is it wordplay? Sure. But a large part of winning over the hearts and minds of the civvies is using terminology that does not evoke a negative image in their minds. Kinda like that image at the top of the page, with the OC folks. The Admins of the site didn't choose a bunch of dudes that look like gangbangers (even though they might in fact be honor students with bad fashion sense). They chose people that look "normal". Because it is inclusive. "See, you too could be one of us, the few, the proud, the armed!" Not "We're a bunch of bad-mother-lovers" (even though some of us may well be).

Yes, I think our cause benefits from non-threatening terminology, and demeanor. How many of you purposely are overly outgoing and amiable when you OC? I am. I open doors for old ladies, I make eye contact with employees of businesses, and make it a point to be super respectful. Why? Am I really that nice of a guy? Nah, not really. I'm a curmudgeon. But it is important to me that people have a positive image of OC, so I shed my usual surly presence in favor of a more likeable one. Because it benefits the cause. Hell, I even return my cart to the cart corral.

Now get off my lawn.

hazek

I like "my self defense tool" best because that's what it really is.

mwaterous

I don't refer to my firearm as a "gat" (except maybe jokingly amongst gun-toting friends). Why? Cause it makes you sound like a wanna-be gangbanger.

I don't refer to its use as "bussin' a cap", I use the the phrase "using justifiable lethal force".

Is it wordplay? Sure. But a large part of winning over the hearts and minds of the civvies is using terminology that does not evoke a negative image in their minds. Kinda like that image at the top of the page, with the OC folks. The Admins of the site didn't choose a bunch of dudes that look like gangbangers (even though they might in fact be honor students with bad fashion sense). They chose people that look "normal". Because it is inclusive. "See, you too could be one of us, the few, the proud, the armed!" Not "We're a bunch of bad-mother-lovers" (even though some of us may well be).

With all due respect, you just illustrated my point, not yours. ;) You're not using wordplay, you're using the correct terminology and that makes you sound educated and less dangerous about the issue. People aren't afraid of police and military open carrying because they suspect (sometimes incorrectly) that they are trained and therefore will only deploy their weapons in a safe manner. If I discussed the issue with somebody who called it a gat, I would be afraid of them accidentally discharging it while showing off. If I discussed the issue with a person who explained that their "weapon was loaded but currently holstered unless there is a justifiable reason to display it or use deadly force in defense of my life or another" then I would feel perfectly comfortable standing next to that person because they know what they are doing.

This is a politician's stand; use spin and wordplay to trick the general public into believing one outcome when there may be another. I refuse. I will be honest and straight forward about the weapon I carry and you will know you can trust me because I don't beat around the bush.