• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Med student fired over gun

EricDailey X-NRA

However unjust, there may be consequences for standing up to claim your rights. We must be prepared to contend for our rights by due process after suffering enforcement. If you are not ready to encounter ignorant or malicious authorities then you must think twice about making a display of your principals.

MKEgal

How is having it in his car a mile away a "display of his principles"? (Note correct spelling.)
Wearing an empty holster at work would be a display of principles that is perfectly within the law & (probably) employer rules.

Mitchell had a Kentucky concealed carry permit, believed he had fully complied with Kentucky law governing concealed carry, and therefore cooperated fully with police and university authorities.
:banghead: :cuss: DON'T TALK TO COPS!!!

Kentucky Revised Statutes sec. 27.020...“[n]o person or organization, public or private, shall prohibit” a concealed carry permit holder from transporting a firearm in his vehicle in accordance with law.
Yet the judge said the U did nothing wrong!
Luckily the KY Supremes agreed to hear the appeal.

Brion

For some reason the link isn't working on my work computer. How did they find out he had a gun a mile away in his car anyway?

Smith45acp

I will be shocked if this doesn't get overturned on appeal. That circuit judge has no nuts and more thankfully, no teeth

papa bear

like most stories nowadays, there are some questions.

was his car on hospital property?

and as Brion asked how did they know?

edrolee

i think that unfortunately is probably SOL, if the hospital has some sort of morality clause in there employment conditions that could and most likely will argue that b/c a doctor takes an oath to "first, do no harm" that owning a handgun is incompatible with that

i think it's a BS argument but the only way it will be settled is more than likely by the SCOTUS saying that no one may prohibit someone who legally can possess a firearm from owning one even as a condition of employment

crap like this shouldn't happen in the US

KBCraig

For some reason the link isn't working on my work computer. How did they find out he had a gun a mile away in his car anyway?
Because he told them.

They had a report that he was keeping a gun in his locker. He wasn't, and showed them, and explained that his gun was securely stowed in his car. They asked to check it just to make sure, and he foolishly agreed.