• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Michael Brown unarmed shooting in Ferguson, MO

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Truth

Did a quick forum search and found nothing, thought it should be shared here. Remember though, investigation is pending, so there are no opinions allowed whatsoever regarding the case as per unwritten forum rules. However, to make it relevant to OC, I'll pose this question: If you saw this happen to a friend you were walking with and you were carrying, OC or CC, would you defend yourself and your friend with force?

*disclaimer: I hate the mainstream media. The accounts and subsequent comments by CNN reek of race-baiting in sad attempts to continue to subdivide people into groups. There has been considerable protest and rioting in Ferguson, unfortunately including looting of local businesses.

An eyewitness account:

"Dorian Johnson, 22, told CNN that he and Brown were walking in the middle of the street when a white male officer pulled up and told them, "Get the f*** on the sidewalk." The young men replied that they were "not but a minute away from our destination, and we would shortly be out of the street," Johnson said.

The officer drove forward but stopped and backed up, almost hitting the pair, Johnson said.

"We were so close, almost inches away, that when he tried to open his door aggressively, the door ricocheted both off me and Big Mike's body and closed back on the officer," Johnson said.

Still in his car, the officer then grabbed Brown by his neck, Johnson said. Brown tried to pull away, but the officer kept pulling Brown toward him, he said.

The officer drew his weapon, and "he said, 'I'll shoot you' or 'I'm going to shoot' " and almost instantaneously fired his weapon, hitting Brown, Johnson said.

Johnson and a bloodied Brown took off running, and Johnson hid behind the first car he saw, he said. The officer got out of his car.

"I saw the officer proceeding after my friend Big Mike with his gun drawn, and he fired a second shot and that struck my friend Big Mike," Johnson told CNN's Wolf Blitzer. "And at that time, he turned around with his hands up, beginning to tell the officer that he was unarmed and to tell him to stop shooting. But at that time, the officer firing several more shots into my friend, and he hit the ground and died."

From the police:

"That Brown was unarmed is undisputed -- St. Louis County Police Chief Jon Belmar said every casing found at the scene was from the officer's weapon -- but he said at a Sunday news conference that Brown was not an innocent victim.

"The genesis of this was a physical confrontation," Belmar said, adding that Ferguson police asked his office to investigate the case.

Without revealing what led to the dispute, Belmar said the preliminary investigation showed that the Ferguson officer tried to exit his vehicle, but Brown pushed him back into the car," where he physically assaulted the police officer" and struggled over the officer's weapon, Belmar said.

A shot was fired inside the police car, and Brown was eventually shot about 35 feet away from the vehicle, Belmar said.

It's unclear how many times Brown was shot. Johnson said it was more than three, and Brown's mother said she was told he was shot eight times. Some witnesses said they heard as many as 10 shots. Belmar said only that it "was more than just a couple."

The chief didn't explain how Brown got so far away from the car or whether he was surrendering. He said he was declining to disclose certain details because he didn't want to "prejudice" the case."

Cite: http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/11/us/missouri-ferguson-michael-brown-what-we-know/index.html

The Truth

The police have investigated themselves and found that there was no wrongdoing.

:banghead:

Midwest

Gun sales spike around Ferguson after 3 days of riots

Gun sales spike around Ferguson after 3 days of riots

Sales at two local gun shops have gone up 50% in the wake of the Ferguson protests/riots. Both Black and White customers have been buying firearms for protection according to the story.

http://rt.com/usa/180084-gun-sales-ferguson-protests/

" Steve King, owner of the Metro Shooting gun store just 8 miles down Interstate 70 from Ferguson, told St. Louis Business Journal that his shop has been “unbelievably busy” in recent days.

“We’ve sold a variety of handguns, shotguns and AR-15s (a semi-automatic rifle),” said King. “All of the sales are having to do with home defense.”

King said both black and white customers have been in the store in recent days, some buying new guns while others have looked to upgrade."

Redbaron007

I wonder how many of them were against the 2A or wanting it limited to hunting before this. Just curious. :confused:

Midwest

I wonder how many of them were against the 2A or wanting it limited to hunting before this. Just curious. :confused:

Good question. During the LA Riots, it was said that liberals were shocked when they were told that they would have to wait 15 days before they could get a gun for protection!

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/archive/index.php/t-68257.html

"As far as I recall, the issue was that liberal types were shocked that in order to purchase a firearm to protect themselves, a wait time of (I thought it was 14 days) would ensue before they could take possesion. Obviously if you lived in the most affected affluent areas say Hancock park and the Beverly wilshire areas that actually saw damage, fires and looting, This would have come as quite a shock to the unknowing types. And that's the way it was(and of course still is) albeit now for 10 silly days."

And in that case, the Korean shop owners used AR-15's to keep the looters from their stores.

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/archive/index.php/t-788483.html

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/archive/index.php/t-103700.html

Now if people ask why we need "those" rifles (AR-15's) ...the LA Riots and now the Ferguson Riots are two good examples.

Here is more on the infamous LA Riots
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/archive/index.php/t-68257.html

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
no more questions about the police state, however some of the loudest about it remain silent, a sad state for sure.

Primus

Why do u need guns for home protection? Those aren't riots they are troubled youths about to turn their lives around who are expressing their 1a rights by assembling for liberty.

Right?

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

davidmcbeth

Banned
Why do u need guns for home protection? Those aren't riots they are troubled youths about to turn their lives around who are expressing their 1a rights by assembling for liberty.

Right?

Anyone pointing a rifle at me must assume responsibility for doing so. Went to reddit ... not looking good for the po po ...

OC for ME

Ferguson is not anywhere near LA nor are the two events comparable.

What is needed is for the cops to say, "Well, you can block the road all you want. You start damaging private, or public, property we are gunna come down hard on ya."

Defuse the situation by letting "blocking" the road slide. Calls to disperse or be arrested is nothing but the cops flexing their muscle because they can.

Primus

What is needed is for the cops to say, "Well, you can block the road all you want. You start damaging private, or public, property we are gunna come down hard on ya."

Defuse the situation by letting "blocking" the road slide. Calls to disperse or be arrested is nothing but the cops flexing their muscle because they can.

So what about the other citizens of the city in town? You know the ones who actually have to drive down that road to get to work to feed their kids or buy their clothes? Just tell then take the day off and join the looting like everyone else?

OC for ME

So what about the other citizens of the city in town? You know the ones who actually have to drive down that road to get to work to feed their kids or buy their clothes? Just tell then take the day off and join the looting like everyone else?

Hyperbole and deflection, as usual. The cops are blocking the road too and have closed off even more roadway to "ensure" the safety of they and the public at large. OK, they can do that, though I disagree with their simply creating a constitution free zone.

Folks in the area continue to go to work and have been, no more a inconvenience as if the road were closed for construction. Businesses in the affected area are open for business. Schools in the area remain closed until Monday next due to violence not blocked roads.

Let the protesters exercise their constitutionally protected civil disobedience and let the cops do their job and protect surrounding private property. Tossing gas and smoke only exacerbates the situation, what some outsiders want the cops to do. Outsiders from Chicago it has been reported.

You will use well worn "cop logic" to support your position regardless of the facts in evidence.

You consistently call for cops to deescalate a situation to avoid the use of force if possible, good and proper mindset. How about the Ferguson cops do this too. What harm is there in being noisy without breaking things?

Oh, being noisy is a violation of the law and cops won't let this stand. :rolleyes:

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
You have not been paying attention if you have missed the image of a half-dozen armed protectors of a business.

I was out of town all last week and frankly, pretty much ignored the news. So yes, I have not been paying attention... as you suggested. As for a half-dozen armed business people? Somehow that number seems a bit small in light of what has been happening in all of this.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate

Yeah, those reporters sitting in McDonalds were sure creating traffic problems, so were the TV cameras that were seized that were on tripods on the sidewalk. I guess firing tear gas at folks standing in their own yards helped with the traffic flow as well eh?

Perhaps one of those business owners will have the courage to file a federal lawsuit against the police for intentional and forcefully and illegally forcing the citizens out of the area eliminating their customer base.

Protesting = right guaranteed
Rioting - bad
Police response to protest because of previous looting = PATHETIC

WTF it makes me want to PUKE to hear citizens of this country defend the actions of these pathetic thugs called cops for aiming tripod mounted high powered rifles at people protesting by sitting on the curb with their hands in the air.

Every level of management within the police ortgs involved needs to be terminated immediately.

The Truth

I tend to disagree. Both cases involve an unarmed man being killed. Ferguson involves a suspect with his hands up, the LA case involves a suspect on his stomach on the ground, neither of which appear to be on the offensive. Totally submissive state, IMO.

Plenty of unrelated facts, sure, but the cases do share commonalities...

Kopis

Id like to hear the autopsy results of where Brown was struck at. If he was shot in the back, there might be more to the story then.

It's interesting that witnesses are now saying that the LEO was trying to pull Brown into driver's side of the police car. That just doesnt seem to hold water to me but im not an LEO. Another witness said Brown's hands and feet were on the ground with his arms raised........huh?

At any rate, the police AKA ferguson military unit is looking ridiculous wearing full body armor including deltoids while pointing SBRs at some metrosexual black dude with a man purse...... i cant find the picture though.....

has all this paramilitary gear just been sitting up in closets? where has it been stored and how often have they been training with it?

here's a high end AR! JP enterprises handguard ($175 i think), two bipods, SS bead blasted barrel, nice comp on the end, high end scope with sunshade. Im thinking he's holding $2000-3000 worth of AR there depending on the scope.
http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/60f.../2014/08/13/1407987080008-Brown-gallery-1.jpg

Here we have all Eotech's and oakley gloves...... those are cheap
http://www.gannett-cdn.com/-mm-/26e.../2014/08/13/1407987080006-Brown-gallery-4.jpg

here we have a white dude getting arrested for protesting....
628x471.jpg

more misunderstood youth removing items from stores so they dont spoil. (while packing a pistol which im sure he has a permit for)
http://www.pressherald.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/Police-Shooting-Misso_Acco.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.