• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Michigan laws

Cobra469

I will be traveling to Detroit this weekend and was wanting to find information on where I cannot carry openly or concealed. I have a valid WI permit and know that I will be visiting a plce that serves alcohol. I do not drink personally but am under the impression that with my concealed weapons license I can almost carry everywhere. Do you have any laws in regards to establishments posting? If so are the signs law or just suggestions?

TheQ

The law (For CC) doesn't give a percentage. This is debated over and over.

Let's say a business has:

35% alch
31% games
34% food

Primary source is...?

Last edited:

detroit_fan

True. In such case he may be asked to leave. Could ruin a good time.

you MAY be asked to leave, but that can happen at any business. your post said he NEEDS to leave his gun in the car, implying it is illegal to carry there. your post could confuse someone new and make them think it is illegal to carry there.

Last edited:

GlockIt

you MAY be asked to leave, but your post said he NEEDS to leave his gun in the car, implying it is illegal to carry there. your post could confuse someone new and make them think it is illegal to carry there.

My wording a bit off. Thanks for the correction. Imho I would just leave it in the car to avoid any confrintation.

Is it legal sure. Do you want to deal with cops who could care less about your rights
and try to jam you up, especially when your from out of state?
Would it be worth the possible hassel? Thats a personal decision.

xmanhockey7

The law (For CC) doesn't give a percentage. This is debated over and over.

Let's say a business has:

35% alch
31% games
34% food

Primary source is...?

Thank you I was about to say that. I would like to add the definitions on merriam-webster:

Primary:
1: first in order of time or development : primitive <the primary stage of civilization> <the primary lesion of a disease>
2a : of first rank, importance, or value : principal <the primary purpose>

Majority:
a : a number or percentage equaling more than half of a total <a majority of voters> <a two-thirds majority>
b : the excess of a majority over the remainder of the total : margin <won by a majority of 10 votes>
c : the greater quantity or share <the majority of the time>

stainless1911

Banned

cmdr_iceman71

You will not be exempted from the federal gun free school zone. You will have to stay 1,000 feet away from all schools.

Staying outside of 1,000 ft of all public/charter schools in a dense urban environment like Detroit that’s going to be very difficult.

As I understand it I’ve heard rumors of police stopping and questioning anyone on foot between dusk and dawn these days in an effort to stem the tide of shootings. Also some units are scanning citizens from the comfort of their squad car with some kind of device that scans for a high lead content, the kind of lead commonly used in bullets. So don’t think that if you are carrying concealed you’ll be overlooked. Without reasonable suspicion of a crime, if you get pinged with this device by a DPD LEO he’s going to stop you and ask if you’re carrying a gun. I just hope you aren’t within a 2 1/2 block radius of any school.

detroit_fan

does anyone have a case or reference of someone with reciprocity being charged and prosecuted under the GFSZ as a stand alone charge? i've seen it added on as an additional charge after someone was arrested for something else (e.g. drugs in school zone) but never as the single charge against someone. not saying it can't happen, but has it?

cmdr_iceman71

whatever you heard about some sort of lead detector was a complete fabrication... probably based on the true story of the nypd testing an unconstitutional infrared gun scanner:

http://theweek.com/article/index/223493/the-nypds-infrared-gun-scanner

the ACLU and many other civil rights organizations are all over this and i doubt it will ever see the light of day

Thanks for the link

"Well, this might provide NYPD Commissioner Ray Kelly with "an elegant solution to sidestep the controversy over his department's stop-and-frisk policy," says John Del Signore at Gothamist."

That's like saying using the date rape drug, Rohypnol, is an elegant solution to sidestep the controvesry of raping a woman when she is fully conscious, aware and refusing consent. It's still a violation of her persons, it is still rape. What is wrong with this guy!?

stainless1911

Banned
Staying outside of 1,000 ft of all public/charter schools in a dense urban environment like Detroit that’s going to be very difficult.

As I understand it I’ve heard rumors of police stopping and questioning anyone on foot between dusk and dawn these days in an effort to stem the tide of shootings. Also some units are scanning citizens from the comfort of their squad car with some kind of device that scans for a high lead content, the kind of lead commonly used in bullets. So don’t think that if you are carrying concealed you’ll be overlooked. Without reasonable suspicion of a crime, if you get pinged with this device by a DPD LEO he’s going to stop you and ask if you’re carrying a gun. I just hope you aren’t within a 2 1/2 block radius of any school.
I

llegal search w/out PC or RAS. Theres money to be made here folks.

stainless1911

Banned
does anyone have a case or reference of someone with reciprocity being charged and prosecuted under the GFSZ as a stand alone charge? i've seen it added on as an additional charge after someone was arrested for something else (e.g. drugs in school zone) but never as the single charge against someone. not saying it can't happen, but has it?

I dont have the cite handy, its the federal one, but you have to be licensed in the state of issuance.