• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Moving from Michigan

kmcdowel

imported post

Just thought I'd say hello. I'm moving from Michigan where I can OC just about everywhere to Tampa, for school. I'll be going to a doctoral clinical psychology program and will be graduating with my BS degree in a month. As a graduation gift, I have been offered a new pistol in the $500 range. So I come to you, 'fellow' Floridians to seek your advice.

What do you carry, and how? I've never carried IWB regularly, but I think I might give that a shot.

Here is what I've got in mind. Springfield Armory xd Compact .45 (with extended clip option).

FzSBLACKMAGICK

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Well...you can't carry OC here at all, so it's concealed only.

Going to have to let others tell you the best means, ways and methods, as I'm still waiting on my CCW.

I have a Glock 21, and have just ordered a Safariland holster, but it will be for when I'm home, going to get a tactical light for it and night sights. For carry, so far I'm leaning towards a Glock 27, but I really like the Sig Equinox in a .40 as well.

The Glock holds more rounds and is smaller and lighter and cheaper, but the Sig, just feels like an extension of your hand...at least my hand, it's like it was custom made for me. And it's a looker too.

Decisions...decisions. I'm thinking ofjust getting both.

I'm thinking right now, get the Glock27, then get the rifle I want-a 6.5 Grendel, then go for the Sig.

It's hot down here, big difference from MI - that should be a consideration in whatever way you decide to carry it, harnesses are pretty much out of the question because you can't wear a jacket. I'm thinking hip holster or crossdraw probably the best as far as heat is concerned, but then you have to be sure your shirt covers it and in such a way that your not constantly having to worry about OC'ing.

Klaatu

imported post

Welcome to the Sunshine State!

I've been carrying a mid-size semi for years here, always in a IWB holster. Don Hume makes a very good one for cheap, compared to other brands and it's pretty easily concealed. Get familiar with the laws here first and don't forget that little CC permit; if you'll do the electronic fingerprinting at your local police station, it'll cut down on the lead time considerably - though it only takes about 3 weeks anyway.

No bars, govt property (especially schools of any type!), etc.

Klaatu

kmcdowel

imported post

Welcome to OCDO!

No bars, govt property (especially schools of any type!), etc.
Could you elaborate on the "etc."

I haven't found Florida's CC laws to be readily available online. If you have any sources, please share them with me.

Klaatu

imported post

Check out www.Handgunlaws.us for some good info. There was an excellent site that appears to be shut down now - http://www.packing.org - which listed all the reciprocity states and other info about CC laws.

As far as the etc. goes, basically no govt. property (with the exception of state and national forests in FL - at least according to the above mentioned site), no business that makes it's major income from selling liquor for consumption on site, no 'nuisance' locations - brothels, hangouts, juke joints, any place considered a public nuisance by the law, no sites where non-shooting sporting events take place, no public meeting places, no voting/polling sites. Check the state of Floridawebsite for specifics (http://www.myflorida.com).

Supposedly, if you have a CC permit, you can carry on a university campus if you are a registered student, but I'd be sure to verify that with the state or the university first!

Laters

K

Hotshot718

imported post

Get a copy of Florida Firearms: Law, Use and Ownership by Jon Gutmacher. He's a Fl attorney and an absolute pro when it comes to the gun laws and explaining them. As I understand it, the book is required reading with some of the local PD's down here. I've got mine highlighted on almost every page. The official statutes can be found here: http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes...tm&StatuteYear=2007&Title=->2007->Chapter 790
Hope it helps and welcome to Florida!