• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Moving to Indiana

xmanhockey7

Well I'm moving to Plymouth, Indiana for about 6 months. Going to work at a resort down there for my internship. I'm sure I'll still post on here but my OC experiences will probably be from Indiana. The nice thing is I'll be in a state where I can carry openly or concealed and the whole transport and PFZs really won't be an issue for me.

xmanhockey7

Last edited:

F350

As a born and raised Hoosier, the state is very gun friendly; "we" have had a concealed carry law since before anyone here was born (1934, Flori-duh was not the first) so every LEO in Indiana has spent his entire career with it on the books. Unless they have gotten stupid since I left there is no laundry list of prohibited places, no "gun buster" signs etc. But you will be in the edge of what we call "Da Region", Chicago influence, any eastward travel gets more Chicago like; too bad you're not headed for my neck of the woods, south central hill country, "It's like a whole nother state".

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
I'll be moving down there the second or third week in May.
Just be sure you get your Indiana license to carry before you start OCing. Indiana is not a "traditional" OC state. You must have a permit/license to OC in Indiana. Much like PA, Indiana's permission slip is not a concealed license, it is simply a license to carry a handgun.

xmanhockey7

Just be sure you get your Indiana license to carry before you start OCing. Indiana is not a "traditional" OC state. You must have a permit/license to OC in Indiana. Much like PA, Indiana's permission slip is not a concealed license, it is simply a license to carry a handgun.
Thanks for the heads up but I already do have a carry permit (North Dakota and Maine). And because I won't actually be a resident of Indiana while I'm down there I can carry on those.

BGordon42

Formerly St. Louis, MI, now New Haven, Indiana, US
As a born and raised Hoosier, the state is very gun friendly; "we" have had a concealed carry law since before anyone here was born (1934, Flori-duh was not the first) so every LEO in Indiana has spent his entire career with it on the books. Unless they have gotten stupid since I left there is no laundry list of prohibited places, no "gun buster" signs etc. But you will be in the edge of what we call "Da Region", Chicago influence, any eastward travel gets more Chicago like; too bad you're not headed for my neck of the woods, south central hill country, "It's like a whole nother state".
Indiana does not have a concealed carry law. Currently, the law is silent on the manner in which a properly licensed individual carries his or her handgun. While "No Guns Allowed" signs on private do not carry the weight of law, if you are carrying a gun and are asked to leave by the person that owns said property, or represents the owner of said property and do not leave, you can be charged with treaspassing.

If you are interested, the Indiana State Police have a FAQ on their website located here http://www.in.gov/isp/files/2010_Firearms_licensing_FAQs(1).pdf. Pertinent information starts on Page 7.

BGordon42

Indiana requires a valid License to Carry Handgun (if an Indiana resident) or a license, permit, CPL, etc. from a state that Indiana recognizes in order to carry your handgun period, not just OC.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
Indiana requires a valid License to Carry Handgun (if an Indiana resident) or a license, permit, CPL, etc. from a state that Indiana recognizes in order to carry your handgun period, not just OC.
I thought that's what I said. ;) I didn't bother with the "state that Indiana recognizes" stuff, since as I recall, Indiana recognizes ALL states licenses/permits to carry.

I grew up in Indiana, and had a License to carry a Handgun, BEFORE Indiana went to Shall issue status. Back when I got mine, you had to have a reason, or else know someone. I knew someone. ;) I had my first license when I was 19.

BGordon42

I thought that's what I said. ;) I didn't bother with the "state that Indiana recognizes" stuff, since as I recall, Indiana recognizes ALL states licenses/permits to carry.

I grew up in Indiana, and had a License to carry a Handgun, BEFORE Indiana went to Shall issue status. Back when I got mine, you had to have a reason, or else know someone. I knew someone. ;) I had my first license when I was 19.
Sorry about that Al :) I guess what I focused on was when you said "You must have a permit/license to OC in Indiana." In my mind I interpreted that to mean that you needed an LTCH, or equivalent thereof, to OC in Indiana when in fact you just need an LTCH, or equivalent thereof, to carry regardless of which mode (OC or CC) you choose.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
Sorry about that Al :) I guess what I focused on was when you said "You must have a permit/license to OC in Indiana." In my mind I interpreted that to mean that you needed an LTCH, or equivalent thereof, to OC in Indiana when in fact you just need an LTCH, or equivalent thereof, to carry regardless of which mode (OC or CC) you choose.
Yeah, no harm. I usually just refer to what you might need to OC in any particular place, since this forum is about OCing in general. Sometimes I forget that not everyone sees things the same EXACT way I do. :)

An interesting anecdote, my mother had an Indiana LTCH back in the 1960's. She got it because part of her responsibility for her job was making nightly deposits, and a friend on the local police suggested she get a gun and an LTCH. He helped her get the LTCH. She picked the pistol, an Iver Johnson .32 S&W revolver. So far as I can remember, she only had to draw it once, and never had to shoot it at anything alive. The one guy she drew on, dropped his switchblade and ran. Typical 1960's street punk. :)

Last edited: