• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Moving to NJ with certain weapons?

derhammer

Let's say you buy a gun in one state, that's perfectly legal there, then you move to New Jersey, and that gun would be otherwise illegal there (like you couldn't buy it). If you own this gun, are you banned from moving to New Jersey? If you keep it put away, unloaded, in your house, and never take it out as long as you live there, is that illegal? Or do you have to convert it to NJ legal if you move to NJ at all?

-derhammer

davidmcbeth

Banned
many states allow guns that are banned in other states and states ban guns that other states don't.

don't bring a banned gun into a state that bans the gun, its pretty simple.

you are not banned from moving ... you gun is banned. store it in a state that allows the gun.

KBCraig

I lost a lot of family favor when I got out of the Army and was looking for civilian employment. My now-ex sister-in-law who lived in Cherry Hill trotted out all her corporate connections and promised she could get me a job at Campbell Soup in NJ.

My reply, which is what got me the cold shoulder from then on, was, "I would sleep on a steam grate before I'd live in New Jersey."

And I wasn't even a gun rights activist at the time.

mrjam2jab

I lost a lot of family favor when I got out of the Army and was looking for civilian employment. My now-ex sister-in-law who lived in Cherry Hill trotted out all her corporate connections and promised she could get me a job at Campbell Soup in NJ.

My reply, which is what got me the cold shoulder from then on, was, "I would sleep on a steam grate before I'd live in New Jersey."

And I wasn't even a gun rights activist at the time.

You could have lived in PA and worked in NJ....it's pretty common. :D

Midwest

Solution, sell the prohibited firearm before moving to NJ. Also get the Firearms ID card so you can buy handgun ammo. And some ranges might require the Firearms ID card.

The Firearms ID card consists of a criminal background check, then a mental health check, two or three references depending on your town including an employer reference, you must be fingerprinted, pay $ 65+ for the card, wait three to six months to get the card. (you can buy long guns and bb guns with this card in NJ).

You want to buy a handgun, a separate permit to purchase for each handgun is needed and beware of the one gun a month law for handguns. (Be advised whether it is a Glock, or a BB Gun Pistol or a Black Powder pistol. A separate handgun permit to purchase is required for each one. BB gun and Black Powder pistols are considered handguns in NJ.)

You want to buy a gun in NJ? Assuming you finally have all the permits in place and you found what you want at the local gun store. Then there is the state NICS to deal with! They charge $16 per transaction, they are closed Sundays and State Holidays and have limited hours compared to the Fed NICS.

I won't even mention taxes, housing or rentals. It is triple or more than the rest of the nation....Forget about getting a carry permit. What is legal and normal practice in other states can get you locked up in NJ for a long time.

Last edited:

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I was born and raised in NJ. Escaped at age 17 when I joined the Navy and hit the road of life. I lived there again for a while only because I was ordered to by the Army (changed services when I grew up). There was an occasion recently, where I had to travel back for a funeral of a family member. As I normally Open Carry here in Washington State and knowing you are not allowed even a picture of a weapon, I wore an empty holster while I was there. Did not get arrested and started some good conversations.
On another note, did someone just recently get arrested in NJ for "possession of Hollow Point ammunition"?? Hollow points are very illegal even sitting on the table without a weapon. Be careful, very very careful bringing weapons not authorized by law into NJ. If you do, do not talk about them. Remember the rules of "Fight Club"

Last edited:

markmopar

Hollowpoints are NOT illegal in NJ. You can have them at home or at the range but that's it.
However, if you use them in the commission of a crime, you can get an extra 7 years per round tacked onto your sentence. I have never heard of that provision actually being used but it's there.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Hollowpoints are NOT illegal in NJ. You can have them at home or at the range but that's it.
However, if you use them in the commission of a crime, you can get an extra 7 years per round tacked onto your sentence. I have never heard of that provision actually being used but it's there.

Cite please.

markmopar

Generally it falls under:

"2C:39-3 Prohibited weapons and devices
f.Posted ImageDum-dum or body armor penetrating bullets.

2C:39-4.1. Weapons; controlled dangerous substances and other offenses, penalties.

Posted Imageb.Posted ImageAny person who has in his possession any weapon, except a firearm, with a purpose to use such weapon unlawfully against the person or property of another, while in the course of committing, attempting to commit, or conspiring to commit a violation of N.J.S.2C:35-3, N.J.S.2C:35-4, N.J.S.2C:35-5, section 3 or 5 of P.L.1997, c.194 (C.2C:35-5.2 or 2C:35-5.3), N.J.S.2C:35-6, section 1 of P.L.1987, c.101 (C.2C:35-7), section 1 of P.L.1997,c.327 (C.2C:35-7.1), N.J.S.2C:35-11 or N.J.S.2C:16-1 is guilty of a crime of the second degree.

Posted Imagec.Posted ImageAny person who has in his possession any weapon, except a firearm, under circumstances not manifestly appropriate for such lawful uses as the weapon may have, while in the course of committing, attempting to commit, or conspiring to commit a violation of N.J.S.2C:35-3, N.J.S.2C:35-4, N.J.S.2C:35-5, section 3 or section 5 of P.L. 1997, c.194 (C.2C:35-5.2 or 2C:35-5.3), N.J.S.2C:35-6, section 1 of P.L.1987, c.101 (C.2C:35-7), section 1 of P.L.1997,c.327(C.2C:35-7.1), N.J.S.2C:35-11 or N.J.S.2C:16-1 is guilty of a crime of the second degree."

A second degree crime in NJ can get you 5-10 in the can and a $150k fine.

Depending on the prosector, but sometimes they'll charge a 4th degree possession of hollowpoints which can result in up to 18 months incarceration and a 10k fine.

Here's a discussion about a guy who had some HPs while in possession of cocaine:
http://njgunforums.com/forum/index....-for-possession-of-hollow-points-in-his-home/

Jay Jacobs

I knew there was some reason I avoided New Jersey. :p
Admittedly most of my NJ experience has been in the Teterboro area. But I've never understood the attraction of that place. And as a gun owner the only way I could be enticed to live there would be an offer of the last job opening remaining in the country.

No offense intended to NJ residents of course.

Midwest

Admittedly most of my NJ experience has been in the Teterboro area. But I've never understood the attraction of that place. And as a gun owner the only way I could be enticed to live there would be an offer of the last job opening remaining in the country.

No offense intended to NJ residents of course.

People who live there are staying because of their jobs or family. I visited NJ a while ago and also I have friends there who told me that some Home Depots are opened up 24 hours (great if you are a contractor or need to repair things in the middle of the night).

There are real diners who serve real food, not frozen corporate to microwaved crap. They have real pizzerias there with real east coast pizza and real authentic Italian food. Many food places with original and authentic ethnic leanings of all types.

The sports thing, For gambling ..Atlantic City is 2 hours + from North Jersey, Mohegan Sun in Ct is about 3 hours + from North Jersey. Baseball, Football, Basketball, Hockey, Soccer and all the local networks that carry them. I think they have two all sports radio stations and 2 all news radio stations.

Numerous places to see within a days drive of the state. Gas prices in NJ are surprisingly among the lowest in the country, maybe due to the many refineries in NJ and low taxes on gas.

Unfortunately that is all I can come up with. The price of a modest house in NJ in a livable area starts around $400,000 with a small backyard. Property taxes are $10,000 a year and up (no that is not a misprint).

Traffic is a nightmare, it costs a lot of money to travel North to South or visa-versa due to the numerous toll roads and plazas. Everything is highly regulated, on another forum ...one guy from NJ said that he had to get a permit to put up a bird house. Things that you can do legally in other states could get you locked up for a long time in NJ... You cannot pump your own gas.

There is a city in NJ that will fine you $1000 if you get caught smoking a cigarette in the city park. They have full vehicle inspection beyond the emissions check. One person had to replace a whole windshield because of a barely noticeable chip in order to pass inspection. Fireworks are illegal, sling shots are illegal. Common Daisy bb guns that they sell here in Kentucky at Wallyworld, need a firearms ID card in NJ.

cbxer55

I was born in Elmer NJ in 1961, lived in Glassboro and Pitman. Parents up and decided to move to California when I was 15, 1976. My father and I used to shoot his guns all the time, at a range. I still have the old Series 70 Colt Combat Commander that he bought in Jersey in the 70s. Guns in California were never easy though, but not as strict as you guys have it.

I moved to Oklahoma in 2002, and got my CWL in 2003. Here you can get either a five or ten year permit, funny they trust us for 10 years with a gun but only four for your vehicle. Open Carry just became legal on November 1st, but you have to have the CWL to do so. I go about my day with a Kimber 1911 in .45ACP on my right hipand a NA .32ACP Guardian on my left ankle, and think absolutely nothing of it. It was quite strange at first, but you get used to it right quick. Quite a few of us have been doing it without any problems since. More and more businesses are taking down their gun buster signs every day.

I've always wanted to visit Jersey again, see the places I grew up. Do not think I will bother. Do not want to give any money at all to such an unfree state. Feel sorry for all you good guys that the government wants to keep in chains. People are moving out of California in record numbers, someting you all should consider.

Take care.

BTW: any one here who went to the Academy Street School, the Thomas E. Bowe School, Pitman Middle School or Pitman High School, feel free to pm me to discuss old times. We may have known one another so many years ago. ;-)

Last edited: