• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MS becomes open carry July 1, when do you carry open or concealed

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
.........What I really want to do is be able to follow the law and open carry because the more of us that do that the faster we will approach societal normalcy regarding firearms and their rightful place in our country.

Top, do follow the law and Open Carry all the time, everywhere you go. People will interact with you, not the weapon. You have a diamond, so you must be a strong personality, use your presence and be a 2A role model.

See the quote from MY role model in my sig block.

and stop yelling.

Last edited:

Q-Tip

Are you referring to the federal GFSZ law (which applies to specific types of campi, not "any type of campus")? Or is there a state law?

I realize I'm a little late responding here, but I was referring to MS Code 97-37-17, which generally prohibits firearm possession on both K-12 and college campuses. Of course, the Enhanced permit "overrides" this statute, but not for OC. OC on college campuses is limited to a person who is not a student and is inside a motor vehicle (see paragraph 6 of the cited code. Hope this helps!

gripping hand

Why would i OC when I have a CC permit?

My feeling is that OC "scares the horses" and makes me a target.

If I want to publicly represent the 2nd Amendment and spark dialogue, I'll wear a t shirt or a button.

Fallschirjmäger

The first cars 'scared the horses' as well, they even had laws that people were supposed to fire off rockets, have flagmen preceding the cars, or even that cars were supposed to be disassembled and hidden behind bushes.

Eventually the horses saw enough cars that it didn't frighten them anymore. But that would never have happened if everyone had kept hiding or disassembling their cars, would it?

If I may inquire...
I've always thought of the average criminal as being somewhat... shall we say 'lazy'... and preferring the easy target over the hard.
Do you feel that visibly advertising that you have the means to defend yourself makes you more of a target than looking like you do not possess any means to defend yourself?

Last edited:

Bernymac

If I want to publicly represent the 2nd Amendment and spark dialogue, I'll wear a t shirt or a button.

Sweet! I'm sure you joined an "Open Carry" group just so you can tout the superiority of your practice and its "tactical advantage" Way to go.

To further the illusion of being unarmed and hence surprise your attacker, you should also wear a t-shirt or a button that says "I am not armed" and a sign on your lawn that says "Gun Free Zone".:uhoh:

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

And you came here, a open carry board, to tell us that OC scares the people? Our purpose here is to educate the people by open carrying. Everybody benefits even those NFA people by lowering the public's fears.

I think I have been told lately if I don't support this or that I am anti 2A.:lol: Most here no better then that, but if are against something you are not for it. You don't have to jump up and down for it, just not be against it. Carry is a choice, a personal choice, no matter what the excuses or claims it remains a choice and a right. How you do it is up to you.

The 2A is very clear "shall not be infringed", and it says nothing about scaring people.

gripping hand

Okay, fair enough.

Looking at my original post, I can see how it seemed confrontational. I apologize.

I've carried a firearm for longer than a lot of you have been alive and I'm just trying to understand how OC is "educating the people." I came to this forum expecting an articulate explanation and defense of the practice that I haven't been able to find anywhere else.

Can you try to look at it from the perspective of the general public and specifically people unfamiliar with or afraid of firearms? They see someone they don't know, who's intention, capabilities and temperament are unknown to them with a weapon and you expect them to automatically understand that you're one of the good guys, thereby "lowering the public's fears". Is it possible that you're creating a barrier to the just the dialogue you express an interest in sharing? Yes, I understand your rights "shall not be infringed", but what about theirs?

Help me out here. I've never carried openly in public and don't see the point. Can you explain it dispassionately or am I the enemy simply because I dare question your opinion?

Last edited:

BB62

Accomplished Advocate

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
... (1) I've carried a firearm for longer than a lot of you have been alive and (2) I'm just trying to understand how OC is "educating the people." I came to this forum expecting an articulate explanation and defense of the practice that I haven't been able to find anywhere else.

(3) Can you try to look at it from the perspective of the general public and specifically people unfamiliar with or afraid of firearms? They see someone they don't know, who's intention, capabilities and temperament are unknown to them with a weapon and you expect them to automatically understand that you're one of the good guys, thereby "lowering the public's fears". Is it possible that you're creating a barrier to the just the dialogue you express an interest in sharing? (4) Yes, I understand your rights "shall not be infringed", but what about theirs?

(5) Help me out here. I've never carried openly in public and don't see the point. Can you explain it dispassionately or am I the enemy simply because I dare question your opinion?

(1) Irrelevant and usually the first statement of someone who must resort to it as their most important argument. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and ignore it.

(2) Fair enough. Also remember that "educating the people" is a side benefit, and an optional one. Most of us do not list that as a "reason" for it. Indeed, I'm quite happy not to talk to anyone. Also, you will quickly find that, like in all forums, and all places in real life, you will meet good and poor examples of those who can defend their positions. Keep in mind that the poorer examples are usually the ones that respond more quickly, so wait until you have a representative quorum before judging a forum on its prevalent attitudes.

(3) In reality, seeing someone's holstered firearm is strong evidence of lack of bad intentions.

(4) To what rights of theirs are you referring?

(5) There does not need to be a point. My personal reasons are primarily comfort and neat appearance. I carry a full-size sidearm, and have probably been doing so longer than... -oops, never mind. I like my shirts tucked in. I don't like things shoved down my pants or into my pockets. Openly carrying just makes the most sense. Most who conceal are compromising things in order to do so. That's their choice, of course, but they shouldn't pretend they aren't.

Concealing has the possible tactical advantage of surprise. Openly carrying has the usual strategic advantage of being left alone instead.

Last edited:

Bernymac

I've carried a firearm for longer than a lot of you have been alive
How is your experience at carrying a firearm longer than anyone else put you above everyone? What weight will this lend to the point of open carry? This sentence does not validate your belief and belittles those that disagree. Your passive-aggressive style will not work.
and I'm just trying to understand how OC is "educating the people."
Educating…as in desensitizing people that the mere sight of a gun is not cause for alarm. A legal activity need not be feared. Ignorance is not bliss. Most criminals performing their act conceal their firearm before the deed to give the “element of surprise” and “tactical advantage” over their victims.
I came to this forum expecting an articulate explanation and defense of the practice that I haven't been able to find anywhere else.
From your other posts…stating your willingness to “agree to disagree”, it would seem that no amount of articulate explanation and defense of the practice will make you understand the practice if you inherently believe that OC is “misguided”.

Can you try to look at it from the perspective of the general public and specifically people unfamiliar with or afraid of firearms?
That is an excuse used by your friendly neighborhood anti-gunner. Ask them how they feel about the LGBT community kissing in public or seeing a mixed race couple. (Not the same? As in the LGBT or a mixed race couple are not made specifically to kill?) My point here are “feelings”. Fear is a feeling that is brought on by the unknown, unfamiliarity and ignorance.
They see someone they don't know, who's intention, capabilities and temperament are unknown to them with a weapon and you expect them to automatically understand that you're one of the good guys, thereby "lowering the public's fears".
Now put that stranger in some sort of law enforcement costume? Do you believe that the uniform is an automatic assurance that the individual wearing it is not capable of heinous acts? Or is that part of the conditioning? Therein lies part of the problem.
Is it possible that you're creating a barrier to the just the dialogue you express an interest in sharing?
The barrier is ignorance and fear of inanimate objects. The problem is when people propagate the fear that guns are evil and that the “horses” do not use their tools to learn. Then you have the “concealed carry” only crowd that perpetuate this fear and ignorance by stating they don’t want to “scare the horses”. They usually start off their sentences with “I’m a gun owner myself and ….blah, blah, blah”

Yes, I understand your rights "shall not be infringed", but what about theirs?
I really don't think you understand "shall not be infringed". Their rights??? Really? I did not know that fear and ignorance is a constitutionally protected right.

Help me out here. I've never carried openly in public and don't see the point.
You don’t need help. A man pretending to be blind will never be able to see. You’ll never see the point since you’ve already “agreed to disagree” You are not the enemy, but simply a part of the problem. I’m sure you don’t see it that way, and it is not your fault. And in your eyes, we are the problem. Unlike the anti-gunners, we will never ever be truly united and that is a bigger problem in itself.
Can you explain it dispassionately or am I the enemy simply because I dare question your opinion?
There’s that passive aggressive again…bless your heart!

4angrybadgers

Amazing how "gripping hand" is necroposting two threads just to stir up the same old ********. But whatever, we can all play the game for a few rounds.

Okay, fair enough.

Looking at my original post, I can see how it seemed confrontational. I apologize.

I've carried a firearm for longer than a lot of you have been alive
So? Carrying a gun for decades doesn't give you some magical perception. You still have to use your mind to think through something that challenges your little mental window on the world.

and I'm just trying to understand how OC is "educating the people." I came to this forum expecting an articulate explanation and defense of the practice that I haven't been able to find anywhere else.
My experience in MS is that people are very curious when they see me carrying a pistol, and a respectable number have asked me about it. Never had a rude encounter (amazingly), just honest, courteous curiosity. I try my best to explain succinctly the basis for the right to OC, and my reasons. I might not "convert" anyone, but at the very least they see that a visible firearm can be a normal part of everyday life, and maybe a spark of freedom is ignited in their minds. A few people have been very positive about my open carry, and were pleased to see someone being so open about the right to bear arms.

Can you try to look at it from the perspective of the general public and specifically people unfamiliar with or afraid of firearms? They see someone they don't know, who's intention, capabilities and temperament are unknown to them with a weapon and you expect them to automatically understand that you're one of the good guys, thereby "lowering the public's fears". Is it possible that you're creating a barrier to the just the dialogue you express an interest in sharing? Yes, I understand your rights "shall not be infringed", but what about theirs?
As other forum members have already stated, the reactions of others to me is not my concern. But I'll play your game. The "general public" can see I am one of the "good guys" because I don't do harm to anyone as I go about my daily business. If I didn't have a visible sidearm, you'd still be as much in the dark about my intentions until my actions and words show them. The presence of a gun does not change that one bit.

Do you have the same fears about people without a visible firearm? Because it's a statistical possibility (at least in most areas of the US) that you encounter armed people multiple times throughout the day.

Help me out here. I've never carried openly in public and don't see the point. Can you explain it dispassionately or am I the enemy simply because I dare question your opinion?
If you end up treated as "the enemy", it's because you came storming into an open carry forum preaching the same old tired gospel of "teh publiks is skeered". And reviving old stale threads, at that.

Look around the forum a bit and find the existing discussions, where this topic has been beaten to death a thousand times, before you start posting thinking that you have some brand new idea we've never heard before.

nobama

Ok, little late to the party, but I have been on another forum arguing with other anti-OC folk. The fact of the matter is, if everyone who carried and can legally, OCied I would bet most of these nay-sayers would also OC. People are like sheep. All we hear is CC that, CC this, CC for self defense, CC clothing. People are brain washed into thinking CC is the only "correct" way to carry, news flash, there are 2 methods, CC and OC. I do both, but honestly, please explain to me what on earth does CC do to help the 2A? Please tell. I also notice all the self proclaimed experts making anti-OC statements. OC is also a self defense tactic, imagine that ! someones OCed firearm goes BANG just like a CCies firearm. The best way IMO to get more people used to it is to just get out there and do it, no big deal really. Kills me to hear the nay-sayers spew their false and ignorant rhetoric when none of them have never OCed before. Ever heard the phrase, "armchair quarterback'?