• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My letter to...

yankees98a

imported post

(With help from past letters on this board)

Dear Rabbi (of the NJ temple),

I am dismayed that I found out from my friend who’s family goes to your services that your replacement Rabbi chose to give an anti-gun sermon. His job is to spread the message of Judaism, not his own personal belief.
Personally, I think that EVERY Jew should carry a firearm for defense, especially considering all that our people have been through over the course of the past, oh, 5000 some-odd years or so! I don't have to tell you, about all of the persecutions and wrongdoing that we have suffered over the years, from slavery, to exile and captivity, to banishment, to pogroms, to massacres, to anti-Semitism, to systematic extermination, to the holocaust, and beyond. In case you haven't quite grasped this concept, we are hated all over the world for no other reason than our ethnicity and heritage and there are many who would still wish to see our people wiped completely off of the face of the Earth. The anti-Semites, neo-Nazis, white-supremacists, and Muslims ALL want to see us permanently wiped out and slaughtered. And that’s only some of the people that wish to see us dead. They don't want to have peace and understanding with us, or sit down and have a respectful chat! They want to kill us!!!!! And for no other reason than the fact that we are Jews!! Our ethnicity, not our values or ideals, is why they want to get rid of us. That is known as racism!! No amount of tolerance, peace, and understanding will ever change that for some of those people. Our only option is to protect ourselves from those who would do us harm, and that means at least owning a firearm! Thankfully, the second amendment of the United States allows most of us that right through legal means. Why do you think in Israel everybody carries a gun! My friend’s teachers were required to carry whenever they were around their students! Why was this? Because the Arabs were always trying to kill them!!! Do you think in your synagogue telling law-abiding citizens (your brother and sister) not to own a gun or bring it with them (if they had that legal right as NJ is not TX) is going to make you safer? Delaware State and Virginia Tech were “gun-free zones”. The problem is while law-abiding citizens follow the law, criminals don’t. And, quite frankly, I am quite offended that you would interrupt a sacred holiday’s worship service in order to push your own, liberal agenda and give people a unneeded, inappropriate, and undue lecture on firearms. Please also realize politics is a no-no in temple per the IRS.
I only ask you that your rabbi in the future make an apology for mixing his personal beliefs with religion on this high holy day. Does he really want to live with the reality of telling those people to disarm, then realize something happened to them from a criminal and it was because his advice was misunderstood for religious instruction?

Otherwise I not only will I never attend your services, I will help sway my friend, family, and friends to choose another place of worship. Perhaps the power of the pocketbook talks to you, as your person belief rose over your religion today.

Perhaps some reading/viewing material for you? http://jpfo.org/ http://youtube.com/watch?v=aeo05uPMmn4

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

yankees98a wrote:
(With help from past letters on this board)

Dear Rabbi (of the NJ temple),

I am dismayed that I found out from my friend who’s family goes to your services that your replacement Rabbi chose to give an anti-gun sermon. His job is to spread the message of Judaism, not his own personal belief.
Personally, I think that EVERY Jew should carry a firearm for
or defense, especially considering all that our people have been through over the course of the past, oh, 5000 some-odd years or so! I don't have to tell you, about all of the persecutions and wrongdoing that we have suffered over the years, from slavery, to exile and captivity, to banishment, to pogroms, to massacres, to anti-Semitism, to systematic extermination, to the holocaust, and beyond. In case you haven't quite grasped this concept, we are hated all over the world for no other reason than our ethnicity and heritage and there are many who would still wish to see our people wiped completely off of the face of the Earth. The anti-Semites, neo-Nazis, white-supremacists, and Muslims ALL want to see us permanently wiped out and slaughtered. And that’s only some of the people that wish to see us dead. They don't want to have peace and understanding with us, or sit down and have a respectful chat! They want to kill us!!!!! And for no other reason than the fact that we are Jews!! Our ethnicity, not our values or ideals, is why they want to get rid of us. That is known as racism!! No amount of tolerance, peace, and understanding will ever change that for some of those people. Our only option is to protect ourselves from those who would do us harm, and that means at least owning a firearm! Thankfully, the second amendment of the United States allows most of us that right through legal means. Why do you think in Israel everybody carries a gun! My friend’s teachers were required to carry whenever they were around their students! Why was this? Because the Arabs were always trying to kill them!!! Do you think in your synagogue telling law-abiding citizens (your brother and sister) not to own a gun or bring it with them (if they had that legal right as NJ is not TX) is going to make you safer? Delaware State and Virginia Tech were “gun-free zones”. The problem is while law-abiding citizens follow the law, criminals don’t. And, quite frankly, I am quite offended that you would interrupt a sacred holiday’s worship service in order to push your own, liberal agenda and give people a unneeded, inappropriate, and undue lecture on firearms. Please also realize politics is a no-no in temple per the IRS.
I only ask you that your rabbi in the future make an apology for mixing his personal beliefs with religion on this high holy day. Does he really want to live with the reality of telling those people to disarm, then realize something happened to them from a criminal and it was because his advice was misunderstood for religious instruction?

Otherwise I not only will I never attend your services, I will help sway my friend, family, and friends to choose another place of worship. Perhaps the power of the pocketbook talks to you, as your person belief rose over your religion today.

Perhaps some reading/viewing material for you? http://jpfo.org/ http://youtube.com/watch?v=aeo05uPMmn4

Interesting letter.

What did the replacement rabbi actually say?

Have you ever attended services at NJ temple?

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

For those who have trouble lifting their head out of the sand here is a link to an excellent paper by Dr. Stephen Halbrook: http://tinyurl.com/2ok7ds

Its a .pdf so I can't cut and paste. Basically it tells about firearms registrationand confiscation directed at Jews leading up toKristallnacht. It also tells a little bit about a Jewish gymnist who won the gold at Athens for Germany in the 1890's,who dutifully surrendered his firearm andwas arrested, and sent to a concentration camp where he died.

yankees98a

imported post

Will read the paper. This is the reason for the anti-gun rant apparently

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/091307dnmettemple.cc362004.html

Accidental/negligent shooting 20070913 Three people were injured when a gun accidentally discharged during Rosh Hashanah services at Temple Emanu-El on Wednesday evening.

When Marvin Marks, 81, stood up at the synagogue, a gun that he was carrying dropped and fired, police said.
The bullet struck his 42-year-old daughter in the foot; she was hospitalized with non-life-threatening injuries. Two others suffered minor scrapes from the bullet. Police said Mr. Marks was licensed to carry the gun, and the shooting is listed as accidental.

Dallas Morning News

ADDENDUM
Found this at Gun Guys:
A Palm Beach County circuit judge has ruled that an 81-year-old man charged in the 2005 Rosh Hashana shooting at a synagogue west of Boca Raton is competent to stand trial on murder charges. Investigators say Benayer shot Samuels because he blamed Samuels and his business partner for interfering in a romantic relationship he had with one of Samuels' employees.
Unfortunately, the linked Sun-Sentinel story has expired (don't bother clicking on it).
In one of those little coincidences we see so often in life, the man was 81, the same age as the man who dropped the gun in the synagogue in Texas.

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

So far I don't see what the replacement rabbi did wrong.

Not enough detail to tag him as anti or anything.

yankees98a

imported post

HankT wrote:

So it's ok for a Rabbi to tell people while giving services on a high holy day owning a gun leads to accident like accidently shooting children, so you shouldn't have them...

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

yankees98a wrote:
HankT wrote:

So it's ok for a Rabbi to tell people while giving services on a high holy day owning a gun leads to accident like accidently shooting children, so you shouldn't have them...

Depends on what he said.

If he said that brother Marks was agoof with a gun for:

a) carrying a gun that would discharge upon it being dropped, and

b)actually droppingsuch a gun, discharging it

then, I'd say replacement rabbiwas well within the bounds of religious strictures. And common sense.

What exactly did he say?

That's the key.

para_org

imported post

I left a Temple that had a Rabbi that was very politically concerned in his speeches from the pulpit.

Too often he was so untalented that I really didn't feel he had much to say about what scripture meant without turning it into a political discourse. And he seem to do this A LOT.

i.e. The sermon is placed near the scripture reading, and a GOOD , well read, and creative Rabbi can have something to teach about the meaning of the weeks' scripture and *will* be creative enough to avoid politically offending anyone. <- That's part of what he/she should do WELL.

As it turns out the "other" place in town (a synagogue a short mile or two away from the first place) has been getting quite a few "refugees" from the place I "use to" belong to. <- I wonder why ?....Grin.

By the way, there is an old joke about the guy who lives by himself on an island. He built himself many buildings including two synagogues; the one he attends, and the one he will not attend.