• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

My New Mexico Open Carry Experience

VAReact

Hi all, just thought I'd share my open carry experience as a visiting Californian.

Over the past 2 weeks, I open carried in Las Cruces for 6 days. Carried in the Quizno's on Lohman, Lowe's, Burger Time on multiple occasions, at Roberto's and through various neighborhoods in the High Range area as part of my daily exercise walks. The only places I DIDN'T carry on my visit were where it is prohibited by law. I am pleased to say that it seems like almost everybody didn't notice I was carrying (or didn't care), or possibly thought I was a LEO. I maybe got one or two glances at my sidearm. The only public interaction I had was at Roberto's on a very busy Saturday morning. A Californian approached me and said, "Can I ask you a question? Why do you carry a gun?" I answered that it is lawful behavior, and I prefer to be armed. She seemed pleased with my response, and we discussed how open carry is generally illegal in California.

I also carried in the Albuquerque area for 3 days. Carried in Petroglyph National Monument, old-town Albuquerque, and everywhere except where prohibited by law. Had no adverse interactions and a totally uneventful carry experience.

I enjoyed exercising my 2nd Amendment rights in your state. The only negative I can think of is always being aware of where Open Carry is prohibited, and disarming appropriately, but New Mexico is eons ahead of California in terms of 2nd Amendment rights, so I'm not complaining! I look forward to carrying in New Mexico in the future.

XDm

I also carried in the Albuquerque area for 3 days. Carried in Petroglyph National Monument, .

The Petroglyphs fall under a National Park Service and require a NM license for carrying or a valid license from a state that we honor.

p

VAReact

The Petroglyphs fall under a National Park Service and require a NM license for carrying or a valid license from a state that we honor.

p

Not true. Federal law states that each park or monument will follow firearms laws of the state that the park/monument is located in. New Mexico law prohibits open carry in STATE parks, not prohibited in national parks/monuments (except, of course, in federal buildings at the park where a "firearms prohibited" notice is posted, but that is a matter of federal law).

Last edited:

XDm

Not true. Federal law states that each park or monument will follow firearms laws of the state that the park/monument is located in. New Mexico law prohibits open carry in STATE parks, not prohibited in national parks/monuments (except, of course, in federal buildings at the park where a "firearms prohibited" notice is posted, but that is a matter of federal law).

You missed half the requirements for carry State Parks, concealed is also prohibited. (You only said open.)
State Parks and National Parks are separated by requirements and restrictions. National Parks and WMAs further break down into BLM territories and so forth with their own restrictions. In the course of a day's fishing, you can cross four or five different "regions" all with different permissions and restrictions on carrying.

You may NOT carry a handgun, openly or concealed, in:
 Schools…except in vehicle if older than 19 (30-7-2.1 NMSA 1978, fourth degree felony)
 University Premises…except in vehicle if older than 19 (30-7-2.4 NMSA 1978 petty misdemeanor)
 Preschools (29-19-8 NMSA 1978)
 Courts (29-19-11 NMSA 1978, without the consent of the presiding judge) Court means: any Federal, State, County, Municipal, or Tribal Court;
 Tribal Land (29-19-10, NMSA, unless authorized by the governing body of the tribe or pueblo)
 Public buses (30-7-13 NMSA 1978, misdemeanor)
 Airport security zones
State parks
 Federal Properties…Military Bases, Courthouse, etc. National Parks and National Wildlife Management Areas are OK if you have a NM Permit/License to Carry or a Permit/License valid in New Mexico.
 On private property where the owner has posted signs indicating that you may not carry or if the owner tells you that you cannot

There are also signs at the Petroglyphs showing no motorized vehicles and no weapons or hunting. I'm a photographer, I got stopped there for carrying while doing a photo shoot for a magazine publication.
As a photographer, I've gathered some pretty extensive maps of this state (and others) showing all the current divisions, boundaries, territories, forests, tribal lands, etc. with links to all the restrictions and requirements for carry, occupancy, camping and so forth in those areas. It's tough but I try to keep it up to date as best as possible.

mwaterous

You missed half the requirements for carry State Parks, concealed is also prohibited. (You only said open.)
State Parks and National Parks are separated by requirements and restrictions.

Could you point to the statute where carrying in a national park is prohibited (not a third party site, sorry, but an actual statute)? I just carried in Carson a few weeks back without any issue at all, even after chatting it up with a couple local rangers. Honestly the only two restricted areas I can see are licensed liquor establishments and school premises including universities.

VAReact

Firearms are not allowed in Federal buildings within National Parks/Monuments only where proper notification is posted. Other federal buildings OK within national Parks/Monuments if not posted that firearms are prohibited .

Last edited:

ADulay

Just wanted to tag on to this thread that during our three week annual western motorcycle trip, I was lucky enough to be in New Mexico for four days and open carried daily with no problems at all. I"m talking 24/7 including hotel lobbys for breakfast, diners, fast foods, grocery stores, Wally World and various shops and stores as well as our daily mileage on the motorcycles. All open carried. Nobody cared as it was a non-event to pretty much everyone, even in Taos!

Even discussed motorcycles with a New Mexico Trooper at a gas station and he never even mentioned the Glock on my belt.

Nicely done New Mexico, and the other states we visited this year, that allow open carry to its citizens. It was very much appreciated.

Hopefully we'll get this done in Florida in the next legislative session.

AD

AH.74

I"m talking 24/7 including hotel lobbys for breakfast, diners, fast foods, grocery stores, Wally World and various shops and stores as well as our daily mileage on the motorcycles. All open carried. Nobody cared as it was a non-event to pretty much everyone, even in Taos!

Do you happen to know if any of those grocery stores or Wal-marts sold alcohol? Many do.

For future reference, even if no one said anything, if you did enter places that sold alcohol you did in fact break the law and were in danger of arrest.

If this was not the case, then disregard. Glad to hear you enjoyed your time here.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
If he went to the Walmart on Unser he was OCing illegally as that store definitely sells alcohol. And most grocery stores (such as Smith's and Albertsons) sell beer & wine -- another "No OC Zone."

But as to OCing other places he mentioned, I enjoyed doing that also, and also in/out of my hotel room & lobby (Hilton Garden Inn, Rio Rancho) and no one said anything (no disapproving looks noted, either). I was the only one carrying, as far as I could tell -- never saw another OCer the entire time anywhere I went -- but although hotel staff and some guests definitely noticed a rather large stainless-steel gun on my belt, no one said anything. Same for Home Depot, a locksmith shop, several Starbucks, Village Inn, etc..

They probably, however, thought I was a LEO rather than simply an armed citizen...

Last edited:

mwaterous

If he went to the Walmart on Unser he was OCing illegally as that store definitely sells alcohol. And most grocery stores (such as Smith's and Albertsons) sell beer & wine -- another "No OC Zone."

If anyone knows where to sign, who to call, and what we can do about this ridiculous statute...

But as to OCing other places he mentioned, I enjoyed doing that also, and also in/out of my hotel room & lobby (Hilton Garden Inn, Rio Rancho) and no one said anything (no disapproving looks noted, either). I was the only one carrying, as far as I could tell -- never saw another OCer the entire time anywhere I went

I do apologize, I must have been at work those days. :)

XDm

Could you point to the statute where carrying in a national park is prohibited (not a third party site, sorry, but an actual statute)? I just carried in Carson a few weeks back without any issue at all, even after chatting it up with a couple local rangers. Honestly the only two restricted areas I can see are licensed liquor establishments and school premises including universities.

This is where the "round-and-round" started between state and federal interpretation of laws and the list began to grow. Back in 2010 the dept of interior made it clear that gun laws in national parks shall follow the state in which they reside thanks to senate amendments by Coburn. Some agencies gave in and 'loosely' accepted gun carry while others looked at, and interpreted in their own ways, all of our administrative codes, rules and articles, and subsections of law enforcement, criminal code, weapons/explosives regulations as well as specific definitions and terminology. It takes a long time to trace through it all but off the top of my head the documentation is spread from Title 10 NMAC to articles 29 and 30 NMSA and sec 18 NMRA(?). It involves the sections called out as Law Enforcement, weapons/explosives, gun carry and licensing, as well as definitions of weapon and unlawful carrying of a deadly weapon. In short, the feds left it up to each state to interpret as they saw fit to adopt gun carry in nat'l parks - it wasn't a black and white mandate to accept guns or else type of thing. In NM, no gun signs carry the weight of law. In NM, some places chose to interpret statistics and reports from resource management and wildlife protection departments as a basis for impementing bans and various no gun signage postings. For each place that allows or disallows carry, they can cite their legal basis for chosing such. :eek:(

As for Carson, I think that's all pretty open. Can't remember if the Veteran's Memorial up there is in their specific region but you have to watch out for those places because they are actually state parks and not national park associated.

nuc65

Activist Member
It would be nice if NM law were changed such that carry in a place where alcohol is sold but not consumed were NOT illegal.

I like being in VA now, this isn't an issue and it isn't even an issue to carry in a restaurant where people are drinking.

XDm

It would be nice if NM law were changed such that carry in a place where alcohol is sold but not consumed were NOT illegal.

I assume you are speaking of open carry because licensed concealed carry in places like package liquor stores is no longer illegal (unless the store posts a no gun sign).

mwaterous

I assume you are speaking of open carry because licensed concealed carry in places like package liquor stores is no longer illegal (unless the store posts a no gun sign).

Pretty sure that's a given, but it doesn't hurt to clarify when it comes to the law. I really dislike having to disarm to go into Wal-mart. I'd rather disarm on Wyoming and Central then a Wal-mart parking lot on Friday night. (Yes I know you can carry in the lot, but once you reach the door that becomes a moot point)

mwaterous

You meet them in the wal-mart parking lot too. I understand why that's the place I see the most LEOs still wearing their own weapons.

I can't imagine what a wal-mart on central would be like. I'd half expect to walk in and see the fellow working the gun counter sitting on a swivel top bar stool with one of the ar's loaded and charged. Actually, I'd half expect to see the deli staff like that, can't imagine what the gun counter would be like...

Bobby Bridgewater

I wish people would stop giving their interpretation of laws and post the links to the actual laws for people to read for themselves. Much of what I have seen here is pure bunk.