• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

National Open Carry Day?

qednick

imported post

I hope I'm posting in the most relevant place this time...

I tried searching the site to see if this had been mentioned before and nothing showed up. So why don't we have (or organize) a "National Open Carry Day". Get it publicized on the news, etc. then everybody who is able to do so, open carry in public. Any Saturday would be a good day for it.

The reasoning behind this idea, among other things, is to make people aware that they (and others) ARE allowed by law to open carry in the relevant (permissible) states. It would also be interesting to see afterwards if there was any noticable drop in crimes on that day.

The only possible drawback I could envisage is the "armed gathering" thing but I'm not sure that would count because it wouldn't really be a "gathering" per se.

Legba

imported post

I vaguely remember someone suggesting thatthe 2nd of every month be Open Carry Day, although I have a bad fever at the moment, so I could be wrong... anyway, that'd be today, so let's all pack anywayfor the hell of it.

-ljp

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

qednick wrote:
So why don't we have (or organize) a "National Open Carry Day". Get it publicized on the news, etc. then everybody who is able to do so, open carry in public. Any Saturday would be a good day for it.

The reasoning behind this idea, among other things, is to make people aware that they (and others) ARE allowed by law to open carry in the relevant (permissible) states.
Sounds like a great idea. Ihaven't heard ofit being donebefore. It could be very effective in achieving some communication objectives.

qednick

imported post

Yup, and those of us stuck in none OC states could maybe just strap an empty holster on or something to show the politicians that we'd like to be able to exercise that right. :banghead:

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

OK, every first Saturday of the month is now officially "open carry Saturday"! Go spread the word. Email your representatives, the media, your friends and family, the cops. If you're in the Charlotte area this Saturday, stop and say hello. I'll be the guy packin' the .40 with the big "I'm exercising my 2nd ammendment right" smile on my face. :D

VAopencarry

imported post

It's been brought up before, the idea never seemed to take off though.

.40 cal, Spell check should be used on all 'oficial' proclamations. :D

kurtmax_0

imported post

Isn't it illegal to carry a firearm if participating in a public demonstration in most places? So if you organized a Defence Walk, it would be kind of defenceless.

Pa. Patriot

State Researcher
Just a "wannabe" in Mtn. Top, Pennsylvania, USA
imported post

I think the idea never really 'takes off' because most people probably don't really see the benefit. I don't think I do either. If you support open carry, and it's legal, DO IT!
What's the advantage of having people do it on one day? Won't they be noticed any other day and have the same effect **locally**?
Just do it, when you please, where legal.
No if you'll excuse me I just returned from OC'ing to the mini-mart and the pizza shop and my pizza is getting cold :)

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

I always open carry, but on Saturday, as with every first Saturday of the month from now on, I will also address all the folks who take a look at my hip. I usually let them walk on by and I don't talk about it. This is the case with most OCers. Theyunderstand that it is their right to Oc, so they don't make a big deal about it. For one day out of the month we should be on the "offensive"and open with our information. Not necessarily to individuals (althoughone person at a time is the only way to get the point across), but through the media and other public methods. The benefit of doing what I did on Saturday was that I made a consciousl effort to let 4 morepeople than normal understand their right to bear arms. Use the first to explain the second! :cool:

HankT

State Researcher
imported post

.40 Cal wrote:
For one day out of the month we should be on the "offensive"and open with our information. Not necessarily to individuals (althoughone person at a time is the only way to get the point across), but through the media and other public methods. The benefit of doing what I did on Saturday was that I made a consciousl effort to let 4 morepeople than normal understand their right to bear arms. Use the first to explain the second! :cool:
I think the idea of a National OpenCarry Day would be to promote the concept of open carry to the American public by educating them an informing them of the details through media coverage. Open carry is an idea that most Americans know very little about. Most often, they know nothing about it other than there is a gun involved. But ifa "story" could be generated about open carry for the news media to cover, it could be very beneficial. It's great to inform 4 people on a given day. But a few stories on the big networks would potentially inform millions. It's PR, man. Free advertising.

.40 Cal

State Researcher
imported post

I agree. Note where I said "through the media and other public methods". I'm just saying what I did this past, first Open Carry Saturday of the month. Usually I keep to myself and don't volunteer much info about why I do anything to strangersthat don't have a vested interest in my well being.I already sent messages to the Charlotte ObserveraboutOC Saturday... But I'm only one man.

HankT wrote:
.40 Cal wrote:
For one day out of the month we should be on the "offensive"and open with our information. Not necessarily to individuals (althoughone person at a time is the only way to get the point across), but through the media and other public methods. The benefit of doing what I did on Saturday was that I made a consciousl effort to let 4 morepeople than normal understand their right to bear arms. Use the first to explain the second! :cool:
I think the idea of a National OpenCarry Day would be to promote the concept of open carry to the American public by educating them an informing them of the details through media coverage. Open carry is an idea that most Americans know very little about. Most often, they know nothing about it other than there is a gun involved. But ifa "story" could be generated about open carry for the news media to cover, it could be very beneficial. It's great to inform 4 people on a given day. But a few stories on the big networks would potentially inform millions. It's PR, man. Free advertising.