• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC OC experience reports

Scrub

imported post

I carried in Golden East Crossing Mall in Rocky Mount this past Sunday. I saw no signs when I entered through Sears, and when my wife changed her mind and wanted to go to some other stores, I decided to go ahead with her. No issues even when I passed the Customer Service Desk where the security guard was stationed, but I am fairly certain that few if any people, including the guard, even noticed.

I did check the entrances to a couple other stores and one mall entrance for signs while we were walking through and found none, but I was a bit nervous since there were shots fired inside the mall a few weeks back. But as I said, no issues on this trip.

ComradeV

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I went to the Wal-Mart at Yopp rd in Jacksonville, NC.

I was wearing slate pants, a black collared shirt, a red sweater vest, and a black fedora.
I also was equiped with a CZ-52. I got some looks at the pistol, but no comments.
Except at the parking lot as we were exiting I received a hat compliment.

Adam H

imported post

I went down to the Uwharrie shooting range today. Carried in the Eldorado Outpost there at Uwharrie. Left there and came back through Locust. Stopped in the Tokyo Express and got some food. I carried everywhere, but I haven't convinced my dad to carry with me.

On an unrelated note, I'm still a little nervous when I carry. I assume that after a while, that feeling will go away and it will feel completely normal to carry around a gun on my side?

protias

imported post

I too am a little nervous when I put my pistol on, but after a few minutes it subsides.

DocWest8404

imported post

I went all over Jacksonville today with a S&W Sigma 9mm, AT&T X 2, PetsMart, Walmart, and had no issues at all, cept for two kids that went stupid and ran. Nobody even gave me a second look.

CarryOpen

imported post

I was at the Wal-Mart on 17 today with my SP101 between 3:00 and 4:00. We may have crossed paths.

Scrub

imported post

I was in Denny's in Wilson last night at about 11PM, and no one seemed to notice or care when I came in. A big group of about 12. that had obviously been out drinking, came in while we were eating, and when I got up to leave I received some serious stares, and the majority of their table went silent. Not sure what that was about, but from the looks I was getting from two of those guys, they must have been serious anti-gunners, or was scared to death I was a LEO. Didn't bother to stop and ask though.

Anthony_I_Am

imported post

OC'd at Aarons Lease to Own yesterday. Two guys behind the counter, a older guy and a young kid. The guy at the register remarked "Exercising your second amendment right, huh?" I replied Yes. Then the other snotty kid behind the counter says "They going to outlaw that."

Then I stopped in at Food Lion to grab a few things. No one seemed concerned. When I checked out the bag boy asked if it was a Sig. That's it.

Stopped at a gas station and they didn't have a pay-at-the-pump so I had to go in and prepay the arab behind the counter. I passed about 6 thugs standing outside the door with those baggy-ass jeans on, new brogans, and long white tshirts down to their knees. They must've thought I was an off duty cop or something because they started pointing at me and ooking and eeking amonst themselves. When I got back in the truck the wife says "Did you see those black guys pointing at you when you walked out" I said yep. She said "It must be because you have a gun." I said "They do too, I just got mine out in the open."

ComradeV

Campaign Veteran
imported post

News flash for snotty nosed children everywhere in North Carolina:
Supreme Court of NC has interpreted the right To keep and bear arms in NC to mean we have a right to unregulated open carry so they actually cannot outlaw it. Even if they wanted to.

hotrod08

imported post

So I went to the bass pro shop this week got me a Blackhawk Serpa for my FHN 9mm I was excited to try it out So Stopped by the Macdonald's on Regional road tonight.
It was my first time open carrying In public other than places I know the owner.
Walked in all was well, three people in front of me, nothing was said no looks that I seen.
The lady in front of me dropped some change on the floor It rolled away from her, I leaned over and picked it up and went to give it back to her She seen my sidearm she was like :what: oh! THats ALL that she said (Not sure if it was because of the weapon or me picking up her change that surprised her LOL)
But All went well...
I was out in less than five minutes.... :celebrate

Anthony_I_Am

imported post

ComradeV wrote:
News flash for snotty nosed children everywhere in North Carolina:
Supreme Court of NC has interpreted the right To keep and bear arms in NC to mean we have a right to unregulated open carry so they actually cannot outlaw it. Even if they wanted to.
I could tell by all the jewelry hanging out of his nose and eyebrows and lips that it would be a waste of oxygen to try to explain that to him. So I just grunted and nodded by head and went about my business.

bwhunter65

imported post

The first time I OC was at a Food Lion nobody seemed to notice. I was in line waiting to pay for my food and I had the cashier from the 12 item or less line come over and tell me she would help me. I told her I had more then 12 items then she said it was ok maybe they did notice and wanted me out lol. At least I didnt have the riot squad on me.

hotrod08

imported post

I went to McDonald's 3/23/10 on the corner of holden and highpoint rd (GREENSBORO NC) I was Carrying my FN on my left side came in no one said anything no looks as I was ordering my food the young girl be hide the counter said in a joking way "OH MY GOD HE HAS A FIREARM" and laughed I just kept ordering and proceeded to pay for my food I didnt want to confront anyone until they confronted me. (If they even did )
The manager on duty (who looked to be younger than me) asked if a was a police officer I said no mam and kept waiting for my card to approve she came closer and asked why I had a gun and I answered her ? and then she asked if I had ID I said I do ANd that OC is legal and you dont need ID ETC
SHe said well I am nervous with you having the gun I understand it is LEGAL but I am still nervous I said well I mean I can leave she said no that it was fine she just wanted to see something that showed I was certified to carry the gun But she was still nervous. SHe said she was the only manger on duty and that she didnt feel comfortable with it So I did what I DIDNT Have too do (But I did it for a reason) I took my gun back out to the car.

So Before I left I gave her a copy of the NCOC flyer ( http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum41/37190.html )

So today I went to another McDonald's I walked in no one said anything got a few looks where the people would look at my firearm then at me then back at my firearm There was 5 people in front of me so I stood back (So no one would be behind me)
Then I went up to order the girl kept watching me and then I went to get my drink and the dude behind me was looking at my sidearm (While turning his head side to side in a WTF manner) and then he said Well never seen that Before
he left I sat down and ate and left everything went pretty good.

And then A short trip too subway (For someone else) Not even a word as if i wasnt even carrying....

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
imported post

I went to Four Seasons Mall on Saturday OC'ing the SR9... entered through JC Penny where there is no signage. Went into the mall, down to the first floor & into Regis (salon) w/ my wife. While waiting on her to get her hair done I went to the Starbucks & got some coffee. I even had 2 GPD officers walk *right* past me while on the way to Starbucks, and they didn't bat an eye at me or my firearm - A GOOD OC-DAY INDEED!

hotrod08

imported post

Ruger wrote:
I went to Four Seasons Mall on Saturday OC'ing the SR9... entered through JC Penny where there is no signage.  Went into the mall, down to the first floor & into Regis (salon) w/ my wife.  While waiting on her to get her hair done I went to the Starbucks & got some coffee.  I even had 2 GPD officers walk *right* past me while on the way to Starbucks, and they didn't bat an eye at me or my firearm - A GOOD OC-DAY INDEED!

That is Interesting I wanted to OC at that mall With my brother in law we looked for sign and as you said there is none But If you look under the code of conduct is says "no firearms" So would that over ride the NO signage or does it have to be "POSTED" at the entrance?

Scrub

imported post

I carry every day now, so I am only adding updates for places, I don't think I have been lately.

Wilson/Elm City/Rocky Mount

I have actually had good conversations and handed out a few flyers at a couple different convenience stores lately.

Lowe's: I spotted a unicorn, a guy in his 20's carrying a Taurus PT 92 in an IWB holster, and we talked a few minutes about OC, and I gave him a NC Laws pamphlet and made sure he had the www. for OCDO.

Greenville:

Barnes & Noble: No issues
Cold Stone: No issues
Che Bella w/ my wife: No issues
Starbucks for probably the 100th time this year with no issues.
Old Navy: No issues
Chik-fil-A: No issues
Great Outdoor Provision: A couple of humorous wisecracks from the guy when I came in, and some good conversation about 2A and OC/CC.

What I was told when I started carrying has pretty much come true. It pretty much becomes a non-issue. I have had a few chances to educate a few people though, which has been pretty nice.

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
imported post

hotrod8812 wrote:
Ruger wrote:
I went to Four Seasons Mall on Saturday OC'ing the SR9... entered through JC Penny where there is no signage. Went into the mall, down to the first floor & into Regis (salon) w/ my wife. While waiting on her to get her hair done I went to the Starbucks & got some coffee. I even had 2 GPD officers walk *right* past me while on the way to Starbucks, and they didn't bat an eye at me or my firearm - A GOOD OC-DAY INDEED!

That is Interesting I wanted to OC at that mall With my brother in law we looked for sign and as you said there is none But If you look under the code of conduct is says "no firearms" So would that over ride the NO signage or does it have to be "POSTED" at the entrance?
My understanding is that you cannot be charged with anything if it is not clearly posted at the entrances. Now, if mall management or mall security stops you & tells you that you need to leave, then you DO have to comply, otherwise you could be charged with trespassing. When I entered JC Penny's on the side facing the parking garage I looked all over & there was absolutely NO signage whatsoever, so legally speaking, I had an out ;)

hotrod08

imported post

[/quote] My understanding is that you cannot be charged with anything if it is not clearly posted at the entrances.  Now, if mall management or mall security stops you & tells you that you need to leave, then you DO have to comply, otherwise you could be charged with trespassing.  When I entered JC Penny's on the side facing the parking garage I looked all over & there was absolutely NO signage whatsoever, so legally speaking, I had an out ;)[/quote]

Gotch ya!
I guess ill just have to try it out, We'll see.

I seen a sign at the mall in Cary (Not sure the name of the mall)
It said "NO CONCEALED WEAPONS" I was thinking about OCing but I was with a group of girl's so They asked that I didn't.