• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

NC OC experience reports

rogue66

toddled to the best gun store this here side of the Neuse, Four Seasons, OC'g the workaholic HK USP and lo and behold out of the ten customers, besides staff, nine were OC'g a myriad of handguns in some grand fashion on their belts.

most OC'ers i have seen in the place ever...

stirring huzzah!!

ipse

9 out of 10 is awesome! I've seen 1 or 2 here and there, but that's it.

solus

well an eventful OC experience today...a matronly lady and i were chatting, i mentioned OC'g and she indicated she didn't need a firearm cuz she had Jesus on her side to protect her.

Not a bloody thing to offer as a counter to that argument, so i wished her a good day and turned and walked away, muttering to myself, but walked away...

rural religious eastern NC philosophy alive and well i suppose.

ipse

WalkingWolf

well an eventful OC experience today...a matronly lady and i were chatting, i mentioned OC'g and she indicated she didn't need a firearm cuz she had Jesus on her side to protect her.

Not a bloody thing to offer as a counter to that argument, so i wished her a good day and turned and walked away, muttering to myself, but walked away...

ipse

My reply, "I will pray for you."

papa bear

ipse

I would have asked her about Jesus's orders for us to arm ourselves

papa bear

well an eventful OC experience today...a matronly lady and i were chatting, i mentioned OC'g and she indicated she didn't need a firearm cuz she had Jesus on her side to protect her. <br>
<br>
Not a bloody thing to offer as a counter to that argument, so i wished her a good day and turned and walked away, muttering to myself, but walked away...<br>
<br>
rural religious eastern NC philosophy alive and well i suppose.<br>
<br>
ipse
<br>
<br>I would have asked her about Jesus's orders for us to arm ourselves<br>
<br>

rogue66

ipse

sigh....sadly this is still prevalent. I find it hard to believe that belief is still the prevailing thought process in 2017...

How many graves are filled with people that had god on their side?

solus

I would have asked her about Jesus's orders for us to arm ourselves

papa, you might wish to search the form's thread for a clarification on that particular point as that wasn't the intent.

if you can't readily find the cite pm me and i'll send it to you.

ipse

Last edited:

solus

In the usual meanings of the words, invalid presumption is an oxymoron. A presumption is taken as true (valid) absent evidence to the contrary, as in presumed innocent. I am pleased to have the effrontery to contradict the moron.

as has been stated previously...the thrown taunts are meaningless towards me especially since it makes the thrower look like the immature individual in the discussion.

btw...might check out definition # 2b in M&W or in your funk and wagnalls please also consider:
As with many other literary and rhetorical devices, oxymorons are used for a variety of purposes. Sometimes they are used to create some sort of drama for the reader or listener, and sometimes they are used to make the person stop and think, whether it's to laugh or to ponder.

and now i am pleased!!

ipse

dmatting

Was looking at the bananas at Kroger and the kid restocking them mentioned that he'll stay on the other side of his cart from me. I asked why and he said cuz guns make him nervous. Told him that they don't go off on their own and that its safe in its holster. Got my nanners and went and got some milk.

So, last time I was in the store, this same kid saw me and came up to me and wanted to talk again. Turns out that, since our last encounter, he said that he got mugged at gunpoint. Said that this has changed his perspective on guns. I gave him the run down on getting a PPP and told him he has to open carry since he is 20. We talked about training (he's never fired a gun), ranges, and some of the local gun stores. I also gave him the URL for this site. If I see him next time I'm in there, I'll see how things are going.

WalkingWolf

So, last time I was in the store, this same kid saw me and came up to me and wanted to talk again. Turns out that, since our last encounter, he said that he got mugged at gunpoint. Said that this has changed his perspective on guns. I gave him the run down on getting a PPP and told him he has to open carry since he is 20. We talked about training (he's never fired a gun), ranges, and some of the local gun stores. I also gave him the URL for this site. If I see him next time I'm in there, I'll see how things are going.

It's almost funny how reality changes one's thought view. Next time you see him tell him to go to Walmart, and buy a CO2 airsoft pistol. It is a good way for him to practice gun handling safely. A cardboard box from work, and he is able to practice what he learns from a class at home. The majority of our shooting is with airsoft replicas at home, my wife did a lot of training with one of those Crossman C11 pistols, still does. Now we have two glock replicas, and two 1911 replicas to practice with.

As far as public ranges, I hate them. I spend too much time watching unsafe gun handling instead of just shooting. Would rather go out into the woods than deal with the careless.

WalkingWolf

Don't know about your neck of the woods, but doing that where I live is fraught with problems.

Yea we are lucky in that respect. A short walk, and we are in a wooded gully away from people. Only one problem, the walk to the gully is all downhill, but the return is all uphill.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
It's almost funny how reality changes one's thought view. Next time you see him tell him to go to Walmart, and buy a CO2 airsoft pistol. It is a good way for him to practice gun handling safely. A cardboard box from work, and he is able to practice what he learns from a class at home. The majority of our shooting is with airsoft replicas at home, my wife did a lot of training with one of those Crossman C11 pistols, still does. Now we have two glock replicas, and two 1911 replicas to practice with.

As far as public ranges, I hate them. I spend too much time watching unsafe gun handling instead of just shooting. Would rather go out into the woods than deal with the careless.

Just curious: Do the public ranges you have experienced in your area employ Range Safety Officers?

WalkingWolf

Just curious: Do the public ranges you have experienced in your area employ Range Safety Officers?

Yes they do, but you would need one RO for every shooter to catch dangerous behavior. Plus I would imagine that they try not to mess with the money they make by making the customers mad. The one outdoor close to me has had several ND's, it only took me once seeing the gun sweeping that took place not to go back.

It is sorta like the CHP classes given in NC, nobody fails. I have never heard of a instructor failing anybody in NC. Either the course is too easy, or the instructor does not want to tip over the gravy boat.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
Yes they do, but you would need one RO for every shooter to catch dangerous behavior. Plus I would imagine that they try not to mess with the money they make by making the customers mad. The one outdoor close to me has had several ND's, it only took me once seeing the gun sweeping that took place not to go back.

It is sorta like the CHP classes given in NC, nobody fails. I have never heard of a instructor failing anybody in NC. Either the course is too easy, or the instructor does not want to tip over the gravy boat.

We have employed/certified RSOs on duty at our outdoor range where there are 170 firing positions on three separate ranges plus four trap fields and in 70 years we have never had a firearm injury other than slide bites and scope bites caused by improper positioning of the firearm. I'm not saying we catch every unsafe action (such as sweeping the line while casing or uncasing a firearm), but we are always watching, advising, and educating shooters and, if necessary, sending them off the range. Our members pay an annual range fee that lets them use the range as much as they like, so the "money" is never a concern.

I, too, have shot at ranges where there was little or no oversight and have never returned. I don't understand how a range can risk the liability that comes from NOT providing diligent RSO services.

Sorry for the diversion, returning to more on-topic posting...

Last edited:

Firearms Iinstuctor

Yes they do, but you would need one RO for every shooter to catch dangerous behavior.

At our academy we would have a OIC, RSO and liked one instructor per 5 students.

The OIC and RSO were mandated by the Base the instructor student ratio was set by the department most of the time it was one to five some times less some times more.

I was certified as a OIC, RSO and instructor.

When I was there we had a very good track record for safety.

Firearms Iinstuctor

Don't know about your neck of the woods, but doing that where I live is fraught with problems.

I have several property that consist of acreage they all have established ranges on them they are all wooded or partial wood.

I never had a problem or dangerous situation.

But then I then a live in a rural area.

Last edited:

bc.cruiser

Navy FCU

Stopped by the local Navy Federal Credit Union to open an account this afternoon. Nobody said anything at all about the gun until I mentioned why I was there instead of across the road at the Bragg Mutual Credit Union. Bragg has a sign denying me entry, Navy does not. The lady I was dealing with (April Skipper), although not fully on board with guns in a financial institution, explained that they were originally posted but have changed policy.