• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need help krogers issue

WalkingWolf

Simply go to their web site (most have job applications posted on line) and write in "RESERVE" on the top, no pay, you have to provide your own uniform (but some used may be available at the station) jump though their hoops and go for an interview.

Just to clear a few things up...

About 25-30 years ago when the much coved MI "GENERAL" CCW permit was more of a legend than a fact, (yes I tried for one and only received the "RESTRICTED" target and hunting) I was discussing this with the local COP and the subject came up about his officers and what they did off work, and this is how it was explained to me.
A police officer is never off duty,this is why they are required to carry when not in uniform, (which is why if you hit a drunken officer in a bar you go to jail for assaulting a police officer ID or no). This is a requirement and was not open for discussion and I was informed by the COP it is the law.

A few weeks later I was with the county Sheriff and asked him if this was how it was, and he confirmed my conversation with the BC COP, but sugested the why not become a reserve officer idea . Every COP or Sheriff I have met I re ask that question and have gotten the same answer. Officers are never off duty and are required to carry at all times.

I have asked this same question other than MI, in Tenn, AZ and FL and gotten the same response. Where is it written never looked it up simply took them at their word as they were the top dog in their arena and should know, and 25-30 years ago what web site you could go on line but the INTERNET was in it's infancy....

So there it is If you want the law spend your time, go to the MI.gov have a look, or call your local COP or Sheriff and ask them I already (according to my family) spend way too much time on the computer.

Out of state issues??? In a earlier post I stated most states, but I have heard of officers when stopped in IL(and NYC) they have been severely hassled by other officers so professional courtesy may or may not extend beyond state lines....

NONE of these claims matter on private property or for a private employer. If Krogers wants to fire a off duty/on duty police officer because they are possessing a firearm at work or even away from work they can. A badge does not have magic powers to make demands of the lawful public, the implication that they can do such and carry where they are told not when not in performance of their duties is stupid.

SpringerXDacp

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Sheldon
Simple BTDT...
Off duty police are required per law to carry including reserve....
I don't think this is true in Michigan. Can you cite the law? Departments have policies, but not sure there is any law that requires it.

There is no law, in Michigan, that requires LEO's, Reserves, Etc, to carry while off-duty. It's simply a matter of department policy. Further, in regards to department policy, there's no law, in Michigan, which prohibits LEO's, Reserves, Etc, while off-duty to carry a firearm in plain view. However, most, if not all departments prohibit this mode of carry by off-duty officers.

SpringerXDacp

Simply go to their web site (most have job applications posted on line) and write in "RESERVE" on the top, no pay, you have to provide your own uniform (but some used may be available at the station) jump though their hoops and go for an interview.

Just to clear a few things up...

About 25-30 years ago when the much coved MI "GENERAL" CCW permit was more of a legend than a fact, (yes I tried for one and only received the "RESTRICTED" target and hunting) I was discussing this with the local COP and the subject came up about his officers and what they did off work, and this is how it was explained to me.
A police officer is never off duty,this is why they are required to carry when not in uniform, (which is why if you hit a drunken officer in a bar you go to jail for assaulting a police officer ID or no). This is a requirement and was not open for discussion and I was informed by the COP it is the law.

A few weeks later I was with the county Sheriff and asked him if this was how it was, and he confirmed my conversation with the BC COP, but sugested the why not become a reserve officer idea . Every COP or Sheriff I have met I re ask that question and have gotten the same answer. Officers are never off duty and are required to carry at all times.

I have asked this same question other than MI, in Tenn, AZ and FL and gotten the same response. Where is it written never looked it up simply took them at their word as they were the top dog in their arena and should know, and 25-30 years ago what web site you could go on line but the INTERNET was in it's infancy....

So there it is If you want the law spend your time, go to the MI.gov have a look, or call your local COP or Sheriff and ask them I already (according to my family) spend way too much time on the computer.

Out of state issues??? In a earlier post I stated most states, but I have heard of officers when stopped in IL(and NYC) they have been severely hassled by other officers so professional courtesy may or may not extend beyond state lines....

This is a big reason why there has been so much damage control by folks here at OCDO, MOC, Etc, for the last 6 years or so.
Hence: It's illegal to open carry once you obtain a CPL. Etc, Etc, Etc.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Sorry no freebes look it up your self...

Calhoun Co and Barry County require, two country's I am involved with, MSP require, BCPD requires, Kalamazoo PD requires, and although many will some states will not honor that such as Ill, your place of business will be obligated.
You said it was law, which is very different from a policy by a department. Since you said there was a law, it's your obligation to provide the citation. Sorry that's the way it works.

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
You are the one wanting the information for your personal use, use your time to go to http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(dcpbya55eoclskncu0drkbqf))/mileg.aspx?page=home and use their search engine, If you are not happy with this sorry ban me no freebies.

In my over 40 years of practical experience every police agency (As a Fire Marshall now retired) I have had dealings with in this state and there are quite a number have all required their officers to carry off duty and per union regulations it was considered negligence if they did not, something they could not fight if given written notice.

Sheldon, you need to brush up on the rules.

(5) CITE TO AUTHORITY: If you state a rule of law, it is incumbent upon you to try to cite, as best you can, to authority. Citing to authority, using links when available,is what makes OCDO so successful. An authority is a published source of law that can back your claim up - statute, ordinance, court case, newspaper article covering a legal issue, etc.

Without a cite, it is simply your opinion; and we all know about opinions- everybody has one.....

And, since you want to flout your disregard for rules that are in place for a good reason, I'm taking you up on your suggestion.

Last edited:

budlight

Work rules are different for employees VS customers, this is the same almost every place!!!

If you are in a strip mall, then they do not own the land AKA parking lot so they have no rights with respect to search of any vehicle there. If they Own the building then that is a different issue, but stores only rent a building space, the parking lost is a part of the complex..

Lock you car, it is private property and they would need a search warrant to have a look, and the police must be notified and in attendence...

Were that to happen you could fret illness and simply leave... yes it would piss them off but you at worst would only get an infraction of the company rules..

I know of people that carried daily before we had our shall issue laws and despite company policy, the general rule for them was don't ask don't tell... No I am in no way condoning you or any violation of work rules or any laws...

Become a Reserve County Police officer.... yes that gives you some very specific rights...

37 years as a union member, BTDT group, and union representive among other things....

I have to disagree on this one, due to the fact that Michigan does not have a statute or case law prohibiting employers from prohibiting employees possessing firearms on their premises. I do agree that they can’t just search the car.

Most companies have policies that clearly state employees may not possess a firearm at ANYTIME on the company premises, including the parking lot that they may own, lease or utilize on a regular basis. Most Human Resource consultants interpret this to actually mean anytime…..on the clock, off the clock, picking up a paycheck, shopping, etc.

If you are caught violating the company’s firearms policy you will likely be terminated with little to no recourse. My advice for those who insist on keeping a firearm in their car is to park across the street or down the road from their place of employment.

FreeInAZ

budlight

This woman is a dirtbag and should receive nothing but a swift kick in the @$$. After all - if the manager had just let the robber kill her & others, or himself - he would have his job (assuming he lived), and kroger would not be sued. The message here is: no good deed goes unpunished...:banghead:

+1