• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need your help with a letter

vegaspassat

So every year our morale club holds a fund raiser at buffalo wild wings in NLV. Buffalo wild wings donates 10% of the food purchases back to our morale club. For me the irony is obvious since we are USAF. How should I approach writing a letter to the morale club? Here is what I have so far

Ma'am,
I was just wondering what the reasoning was for choosing BWWs for the fund raiser? I'm not sure if you are aware, but BWWs is an anti-firearm establishment on a corporate level and there are plenty of organizations in Las Vegas that are not. Being in the profession of arms and as members of the Air Force we are sworn to defend the Constitution (including the second amendment) of the United States. As a military member and a person that openly carries I don't feel that it makes sense for us to support an organization that does not support the Constitution as we do.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Well, my first thought was about how little the typical "morale officer" cares. Sorry.

But let's assume you've got a good one!

Are you required to go? Do you like going? Without trying to sound like an ultimatum, I might let the office know that your conscience does not allow you to be defenseless, and you therefore cannot support a meeting that is knowingly being held at an establishment that frequently asks this of its customers.

Remind them that this is the same conscience that drives you to be a member of the military, sworn to uphold and defend the Constitution and its values.

If you can get the morale office on board, this could be a very powerful message to their corporate decision makers.

Regardless of the decision, I would open carry anyway. Imagine how much they should be embarrassed at telling a member of the US military that they can't bring their sidearm into the restaurant. This could make a powerful after-action letter if they did, with plenty of references to the IHOP incident.

Last edited:

mbogo470

Unless you are specifically addressing a woman, use 'Dear Sir or Madam:' as your greeting.

Never use contractions in a letter.

I would open with a sentence that sets the table, such as - "It has come to our attention that Buffalo Wild Wings has a corporate 'No Firearms' policy that conflicts with customers' rights of self-defense."

Then, hit them with - "While we respect their right to have such a policy, my fellow Air Force members and I cannot support such an establishment and request that a venue which does not have a 'No Firearms' policy be selected."

The rest of your letter was pretty good.

mbogo

vegaspassat

I don't like to say things like "Our attention" or "We" when I am really only speaking for myself. I don't know of anyone else in the med group that oposses the fund raiser. In military style writing it is appropriate to address the letter with simply "sir" or "ma'am". Also, this is a morale club so there is more than one person in charge of the group. Pres, vice pres, treasurure etc. They do this fund raser to help pay for our group holiday party. I would love to go because I enjoy BWWs salads and wings, but you are right in that I can't let myself go unarmed and let it rest easy on my conscience

vegaspassat

Ah you are correct! I sent her another email real quick asking if it was just the local bwws that does this or if they do it nationally. I also asked if they do it for other organizations on base

vegaspassat

Lol no I sent another one to get some more details about the fund raiser before I sent in the one I want you guys to help me with. I didn't know if it was just that single location that participated or if it was a corporate program. I found out that as long as the private organization has a tax number then the corporation will allow such fund raisers, but it is up to the location on how much they donate (i.e. 10% or more).