• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Nevada concealed carry Reciprocity change

OC Freedom

The last I heard the Nevada Senate passed bill 175 on March 25 and that the bill would recognize more permits from other states.

Does anyone know what's happening with this bill proposal?

FreeInAZ

Not being from Nevada, I could be way off on my understanding of how things were done before this bill become law, the way I understand it was the sheriffs association in Nevada had great influence on the reciprocity agreements with other states. It appears this bill (if passed into law) places sole control in the hands of the Nevada Department of Public Safety.

I'm I correct in my understanding? Thanks for any input.

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

Thanks varminter22 - so is it a change for the good or simply substituting one cluster bleep for another ?

The Big Guy

SB-175 passed the Senate and is currently in the Assembly Judiciary Committee.

https://www.leg.state.nv.us/App/NELIS/REL/78th2015/Bill/1548/Overview

Yup it was before the committee yesterday morning and all looked good with it as far as testimony goes. Nobody seemed concerned about CC blue card and in fact the CC Sheriff is for doing away with it. So is the Sheriff and Chiefs association and the NHP. The big stumbling block with the Democrats as I saw it was with the part that holds City and County governments liable to litigation for not following State preemption.

I got a good feeling about it watching the proceedings. You never can say for sure though until the votes are counted.

There was also some concern about how the reciprocity would work but I'm hoping it was explained well enough. It sounds to me like the S&C Association would like to wash it's hands of it maybe thanks to one of our own, Don't Tread On Me.

A big thumbs up to another one of our own, Merlin, who went up and testified before the committee, good job.

TBG

Last edited:

garand_guy

I'm still trying to get data on the blue card program out of Metro to submit as evidence. Been 2 months now and supposedly I get answers next week... :banghead:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Your official inquiries might be a good thing. They know the program is disappearing this year with a new state law, and they are probably stalling to render your inquiry moot. But it might make them "officially" destroy their records sooner than they might have eventually not gotten around to it.

varminter22

Thanks varminter22 - so is it a change for the good or simply substituting one cluster bleep for another ?

Its still a good bill - a change for the good.

And I agree that the domestic violence thing is not good (even though it simply mirrors federal law.) As I pointed out in my SFA letter in support of the original version of SB-175, "While we abhor domestic violence we do not believe a misdemeanor warrants the loss of rights." I suspect this was inserted as a sweetener - to entice a couple of Democrat votes (which would not be necessary if our Republicans and RINOs would come together, but THAT is another big topic.)

Minutes of the hearings on SB-175 are not yet available, but the exhibits for the hearings are here: https://www.leg.state.nv.us/App/NELIS/REL/78th2015/Bill/1548/Exhibits

wrightme

Not being from Nevada, I could be way off on my understanding of how things were done before this bill become law, the way I understand it was the sheriffs association in Nevada had great influence on the reciprocity agreements with other states. It appears this bill (if passed into law) places sole control in the hands of the Nevada Department of Public Safety.

I'm I correct in my understanding? Thanks for any input.
NV does not have 'reciprocity.' NV has 'recognition.'

The recognition isn't an agreement with another state, it is a (sometimes seemingly arbitrary) determination by the DPS (actually by the NVSCA) as to whether another state's CC training requirements are substantially similar to that of NV. Those get recognized. Others do not.

DON`T TREAD ON ME

Ugh. Free in AZ was right as well, While Nevada may not have a reciprocity program set up, the fact is if Nevada "recognizes" a state and the state reciprocates... Reciprocity exists. It is just not initiated by Nevada intentionally. It is still in many cases initiated solely by recognition, depending on the other states Rec. agreement.

Last edited:

wrightme

Ugh. Free in AZ was right as well, While Nevada may not have a reciprocity program set up, the fact is if Nevada "recognizes" a state and the state reciprocates... Reciprocity exists. It is just not initiated by Nevada intentionally. It is still in many cases initiated solely by recognition, depending on the other states Rec. agreement.

AFAIK, the other state does not 'reciprocate.'

NV either recognizes others or not. There is not 'reciprocation' inherent in that at all. What other states do is on their own.

Last edited:

varminter22

Its largely a matter of semantics. "Reciprocity" generally infers, "you honor mine and I'll honor your's."

It is true Nevada does NOT have reciprocity in that sense. Nevada does not enter into agreements with other states. Some states will honor another state's permit only if said state honors their's. Nevada is not like that.

It is true Nevada has a system in place wherein Nevada may honor other state's permits - if certain criteria are met.

On the state level, Nevada cares not if another state honors our permits.

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
We have "reciprocity" with many states in the practical sense, not in the legal agreement sense. Indeed, we may soon eliminate much of the demand for a UT permit if Nevada's bill becomes law that recognizes all states' permits. More states will then recognize ours.

varminter22

We have "reciprocity" with many states in the practical sense, not in the legal agreement sense. Indeed, we may soon eliminate much of the demand for a UT permit if Nevada's bill becomes law that recognizes all states' permits. More states will then recognize ours.
SB-175 was amended. It no longer states Nevada would honor all other states' permits.

See the amended SB-175 (R1): http://www.leg.state.nv.us/Session/78th2015/Reports/history.cfm?ID=399
60 Existing law requires the Department to annually prepare a list of states which
61 it determines are substantially similar to or more stringent than this State for
62 purposes of issuing a permit to carry a concealed firearm. (NRS 202.3689) Section
63 4.5 of this bill instead requires the Department to determine whether each state
64 requires a person to complete any training, class or program for purposes of
65 preparing the list.

As amended: Senate Final Passage (1st Reprint) Mar 23, 2015: Yea 14, Nay 5, Excused 2, Not Voting 0, Absent 0

SB-175 (R1) is now in the Assembly, referred to the Assembly Judiciary Committee:
Ira Hansen, Chair
Erven Nelson, Vice Chair

Ira.Hansen@asm.state.nv.us; Erven.Nelson@asm.state.nv.us; Michele.Fiore@asm.state.nv.us; David.Gardner@asm.state.nv.us; Brent.Jones@asm.state.nv.us; PK.Oneill@asm.state.nv.us; Victoria.Seaman@asm.state.nv.us; Glenn.Trowbridge@asm.state.nv.us; Elliot.Anderson@asm.state.nv.us; Nelson.Araujo@asm.state.nv.us; Olivia.Diaz@asm.state.nv.us; James.Ohrenschall@asm.state.nv.us; Tyrone.Thompson@asm.state.nv.us

More info here: http://www.nevadashooters.com/showthread.php?t=60079

Last edited:

Vegassteve

How do these bills get so watered down? I ASSume from the votes that most of the so called friendly repubs voted for it. So if they had a majority who changed it?

garand_guy

What scumbags the NSCA are. What is wrong with this state where politicians have no backbone whatsoever?