• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Jersey This is Wrong:CCL Permit Denied. Court Denies it Too

Law abider

Yes, indeed they are frustrating!

I dare say that many (most?) user/members here on OCDO would shout triumphantly if tomorrow true Constitutional Carry became the law of the land from coast to coast. We know that isn't going to happen anytime soon - if ever.

Meanwhile, we fight our local battles and right as many wrongs as we can. The local/state convention involvement is a good place to start and then on to the election process. Staying in touch with elected representatives through lobbying efforts adds to the positive outcome frequently.

Problem is that creating and maintaining good relationships frequently involves some compromises along the way.

The person who demands all w/o exception, frequently gets nothing and has burned his/her bridges behind themselves. Hate to see anybody become a ranting voice in the wilderness.

However, every time we gain ground, we are retaking lost territory. Like the old slogan from General Electric said, "Progress is our most important product."

Agree heartily

Law abider

I got it. Nightmare caught my slip of the stroke on the keypad. Ah ha.
Anyway I don't want to be off topic. our CC/OC brethren are suffering and the only option is that they have to move or work through the legislature but they are doing neither as far as I can see.

press1280

Aren't they lucky that the fedcourt fixed the problem. Maybe the people in NJ should petition the court. The feds actually forced Illinois to comply with 2A. Cant get better than that.

It's already been done, see Drake v. Filko. The 3rd Circuit decided NJ's law is just fine and dandy.

As far as Congress the best I see them doing is a national reciprocity law, which wouldn't help NJ citizens in NJ but would allow any other US resident to carry in NJ on any state permit. Perhaps after a while their citizens will see themselves as second class and actually start removing the criminals who defend this law.
Another thing that may get people fired up is to find out how many elites who support this law have a CCW themselves. People don't like hypocrites.

press1280

I got it. Nightmare caught my slip of the stroke on the keypad. Ah ha.
Anyway I don't want to be off topic. our CC/OC brethren are suffering and the only option is that they have to move or work through the legislature but they are doing neither as far as I can see.

The Democratic party would have to be thrown out of power (or at least feel like they're about to) in NJ. As long as they control committees the chairperson will always be an antigunner from Newark or Jersey City and won't get any blowback from burying any shall-issue bill.

davidmcbeth

Banned
It's already been done, see Drake v. Filko. The 3rd Circuit decided NJ's law is just fine and dandy.

As far as Congress the best I see them doing is a national reciprocity law, which wouldn't help NJ citizens in NJ but would allow any other US resident to carry in NJ on any state permit. Perhaps after a while their citizens will see themselves as second class and actually start removing the criminals who defend this law.
Another thing that may get people fired up is to find out how many elites who support this law have a CCW themselves. People don't like hypocrites.

Fine and dandy LOL..

No court can change your rights.

countryclubjoe

Interesting to note that the NJ State Constitution which was revised in 1947 does not have the same 2nd amendment right as the US Constitution..

Here is the NJ state 2nd Amendment::

"Political Power-- All political power is inherent in the people. Government is instituted for the protection, security and benefit of the people, and they have the right at all times to alter or reform the same, whenever the public good may require it...

There you have it folks the NJ State 2nd Amendment... Notice no mention of the right to keep an bear arms...

Where are all the civil liberty attorney's and Constitutional Law attorney's, they should be up in arms ( no pun intended). How is it that NJ state constitution does not have anything resembling the Federal Constitution second amendment?

Another question to consider.. NJ will and does honor licensing from other states for fishing, driving, marriage etc, the question then is why not honor a citizens license or permit to carry a weapon from another state? Clearly the state draconian laws need to be address by congress and the legislature.

If the honorable Colonel does not qualify to carry a weapon in NJ, prey tell, who in fact would qualify? And why should our constitutional right to keep and bear arms be subject to the jurisdiction of some police chief that will probably be home sleeping when some bad guy is looking to harm us and our family and our property? The people of NJ that believe in the 2nd A and their rights to protect themselves and their families need to start voting against all the politicians that wish to do us harm by condoning such draconian anti second amendment federal constitutional laws..

My .02
Regards
CCJ

solus

CCJ, you asked a question regarding who would qualify...their eminences of the nice retired LE community, granted of course by federal statute(s), specifically stating their permit is exempt from the state's firearm statutes.

ipse

davidmcbeth

Banned
Interesting to note that the NJ State Constitution which was revised in 1947 does not have the same 2nd amendment right as the US Constitution..

Here is the NJ state 2nd Amendment::

"Political Power-- All political power is inherent in the people. Government is instituted for the protection, security and benefit of the people, and they have the right at all times to alter or reform the same, whenever the public good may require it...

There you have it folks the NJ State 2nd Amendment... Notice no mention of the right to keep an bear arms...

Where are all the civil liberty attorney's and Constitutional Law attorney's, they should be up in arms ( no pun intended). How is it that NJ state constitution does not have anything resembling the Federal Constitution second amendment?

Another question to consider.. NJ will and does honor licensing from other states for fishing, driving, marriage etc, the question then is why not honor a citizens license or permit to carry a weapon from another state? Clearly the state draconian laws need to be address by congress and the legislature.

If the honorable Colonel does not qualify to carry a weapon in NJ, prey tell, who in fact would qualify? And why should our constitutional right to keep and bear arms be subject to the jurisdiction of some police chief that will probably be home sleeping when some bad guy is looking to harm us and our family and our property? The people of NJ that believe in the 2nd A and their rights to protect themselves and their families need to start voting against all the politicians that wish to do us harm by condoning such draconian anti second amendment federal constitutional laws..

My .02
Regards
CCJ

Also see :

ARTICLE I
RIGHTS AND PRIVILEGES

1. All persons are by nature free and independent, and have certain natural and unalienable rights, among which are those of enjoying and defending life and liberty, of acquiring, possessing, and protecting property, and of pursuing and obtaining safety and happiness. [ http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/lawsconstitution/constitution.asp ]

Covered under "protecting property" or the section itself under natural rights. They just oppress this right. Welcome to NJ !

Last edited:

Lostboy

New here, been spectating for a while. Thought I'd comment. There isn't any person I know who has been issued in NJ. That includes my uncle who owned a check cashing business and liquor store on Martin Luther King in jersey city. He was able to keep on on premises and had used it a few times unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

press1280

New here, been spectating for a while. Thought I'd comment. There isn't any person I know who has been issued in NJ. That includes my uncle who owned a check cashing business and liquor store on Martin Luther King in jersey city. He was able to keep on on premises and had used it a few times unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The info I was given over a few years ago from the state was that there were something like 1200 non-LEO permits statewide. Compared with the size of NJ, that's not very much. In fact, the stats suggest your odds of a permit are higher in NYC than NJ. Not good.