• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Lansing PD Chief to be announced at 2:00PM today (1-18-11)

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
Heard it on the radio, on my way home from the doc's office. Keeping my fingers crossed that they keep the one they have now, as she seems to be OC friendly, or at least informed.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Bernero names Szymanski as Lansing police chief

Susan Vela • svela@lsj.com • January 18, 2011

LANSING -- Lansing Mayor Virg Bernero has named Teresa Szymanski as Lansing's next chief of police. She becomes the first female chief in the history of the department.

Szymanski, who has been serving as interim chief since March, was one of three finalists for the position recommended by the city's Board of Police Commissioners to Bernero. The commission meets at 5:30 p.m. today and can affirm or reject Bernero's appointment.

The other two candidates were Capts. Ray Hall and Mike Yankowski.

"I look forward to being part of your team," Szymanski told the mayor at a news conference today. "I realize that to whom much is given, much is expected."

Szymanski was named interim chief after former Chief Mark Alley retired last March to take a job at Emergent BioSolutions Inc., which manufactures the anthrax vaccine.

Szymanski took his place on a temporary basis that same month, leading the department’s budget negotiations that resulted in precinct consolidation. To save the city $700,000 a year, LPD turned its North Precinct into its new uniform patrol division and its South Precinct into its new investigations division.

The city wrapped up its search for a new chief last fall and, in December, interviewed six of nine applicants. Capt. Rex Marks of the Grass Valley, Calif., police department was the only candidate who was not an LPD employee.

Lansing spent “less than a couple thousand” dollars on statewide advertising with groups such as the Michigan Municipal League and Capital Area Michigan Works, according to Jerry Ambrose, Bernero’s chief of staff.

Lansing's police department has approximately 250 sworn officers and 100 civilian employees. The department’s annual budget is approximately $33 million. The police chief's salary was advertised at $79,398 to $119,140 annually.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
We welcomed her a year ago when she became acting chief!

-------------------------
----------------------------------------------

I don't know that you could call her OC friendly, but she does know the laws, and I think would be quick to clear up any misunderstanding.

Last edited:

bsf

We welcomed her a year ago when she became acting chief!..........
Was the portion I did not quote really necessary? I would rather have the support of LE in firearms related matters. Building a positive relationship with them aids that goal. Insults like that do not help.

lil_freak_66

How was it an insult?that was not the intent of my post,and i apologize if it seems that way,what ive said was intended for a joking manner.

Every time (2 or 3 times)i have met Teresa,she has been very kind hearted and professional.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
How was it an insult?that was not the intent of my post,and i apologize if it seems that way,what ive said was intended for a joking manner.

Every time (2 or 3 times)i have met Teresa,she has been very kind hearted and professional.
While I can imagine your post was in jest, try looking at it from the point of view of a woman. Specially a woman who doesn't know you all that well, and then tell me it wasn't an insult. :)

I can say certain things to my wife, because I know her, and she knows me. But if I didn't, I would be very diplomatic in the things I'd say to her or about her to other people.

The key is, when the idea hits your head about sending a message, take a moment and consider how it might be received. Remember, this is a texting type of communication, so imparting emotions is not the easiest thing to do. It creates an atmosphere that's ripe for misunderstandings.

B

Bikenut

We welcomed her a year ago when she became acting chief!

i think she is a rather good chief,and her body isnt that bad either(just steer clear of the face):eek:

Lil_freak.... you know both Yooperlady and I... and that we have come to your online defense in the past. However ... we are both aghast by the unthinkingly cold insult given to a Police Chief who brought her Dept. in line with State law.

It is always unwise to insult an ally...

Last edited by a moderator:

TheQ

Perhaps anyone quoting the offending statement can edit their quote to exclude it and give freak the opportunity to change his post?

B

Bikenut

Perhaps anyone quoting the offending statement can edit their quote to exclude it and give freak the opportunity to change his post?
Perhaps folks will step up and accept responsibility for what they post in haste or in jest... better yet... perhaps folks will be more careful about what they post proofreading it before hitting the "submit" button.

Perhaps if more care was taken in what was posted... if folks were to understand that this is not a private social networking forum but a forum that is watched worldwide (and carefully watched by many "agencies") then the amount of careless posts would dwindle to none?

Bronson

It was in very poor taste.

Did you mean Chief Szymanski?

If she has interacted with you in a kind and professional manner you can at least extend the same courtesy to her.

Bronson

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
Perhaps folks will step up and accept responsibility for what they post in haste or in jest... better yet... perhaps folks will be more careful about what they post proofreading it before hitting the "submit" button.

Perhaps if more care was taken in what was posted... if folks were to understand that this is not a private social networking forum but a forum that is watched worldwide (and carefully watched by many "agencies") then the amount of careless posts would dwindle to none?
It's been my experience, given the opportunity, almost anyone can be counted on to stick their foot in their mouth at least once a year. Myself, I'll have to pass on it this year, since I broke my ankle. :)