• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New member here. Have a couple of questions

xorgo

Hi guys, my wife and I are both foid card holders and were thinking about getting our carry conceal permits. Where did you guys go to get your 16 hrs training?
I called Cabelas and the girl didnt know a whole lot about it so heres my questions.

where did you go to get your training?
whats this about fla, az and utah?
can you break down all the costs for me?

I've really been out of the loop the last couple of years and was hoping to get back into shooting. My wife and I used to go to a place called Peppers on North av. in Glen Ellyn and when they closed down we went to Gat a few times and wasnt a really big fan of their range but that was years ago and i've heard they really changed for the better

I briefly talked to a guy in Dicks sporting goods who tried to explain about Utah Fla and Az permits but I dont remember everything he said.

We live in Schaumburg so Cabelas seems to be the closest but I just started doing research.

Thanks for any advice and info.

davidmcbeth

Banned
I know that Buffalo Range offers the course(s) ... I think if a vet, it gets knocked down to 8 hrs.

Be careful .. make sure they are an approved business .. some went to unapproved classes and did not get their permit.

You can find the range via a google search ...

junglebob

Xorgo, What county do you live in? I'm down in Southern Illinois and there seem to be quite a few instructors offering training. Some of the junior colleges have CC classes as part of their adult education program. If you have already taken NRA basic pistol or better and have a certificate you could just take an 8 hour class plus range qualification.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Xorgo, What county do you live in? I'm down in Southern Illinois and there seem to be quite a few instructors offering training. Some of the junior colleges have CC classes as part of their adult education program. If you have already taken NRA basic pistol or better and have a certificate you could just take an 8 hour class plus range qualification.

Lives near airport ... in Schaumburg

Buffalo Range ~ 30-45 min away .. in Ottawa ... nice ranges too .. their plinker pit is the funnest but out of order ...

junglebob

I asked on the Illinoiscarry.com forum about instructors near Schaumburg and I got these replies- Hot Shot Academy teach at Cabellas in Hoffman Estates, Illinoisgunpros.com teach in Addison, Illinoisfirearmsafety.com have a course on April 12 and 13 in Schaumburg, and Illinoisconceal-carrytraining.com March 29 and 30 in Lombard.