• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Newark Armslist Scam

TyGuy

I ran into a scammer on Armslit, so I thought I'd share some of the details here, so that no one else deals with them.

It was for a Walther P22 5" Barrel.
They live in Newark OH
I sent payment, but never received the item.

I only risk Armslist transactions for items that aren't too expensive so it's not too big of a deal.

If you come across someone in Newark on Armslist you can PM me and I will verify their email / street address. I'd rather not post them here.

MyWifeSaidYes

Have you contacted Newark police or filed a report with the Attorney General?

The AG site has an online form to submit cases like that.

TyGuy

I contacted the police. I haven't heard back yet. If I don't hear from them in a few days I'll call. I'll look for the AG form.

TyGuy

I see a page for consumer complaint scams. Can you share the page here?

TyGuy

Thanks. It looks like my numerous emails and filing a report with the Newark PD have softened him up. He contacted me last night asking where to send the item. I gave him my work address, although he already had my mailing address. If I don't receive either a refund or the item by Friday then I'll contact the PD again and fill out that AG form.

TyGuy

zack991

A big reason why I never buy a gun from armslist or gunbroker via shipment, that it must be face to face with a CHL ID or nothing. Even an accessory of a large value I do face to face, if you use paypal like I do. You can put a restriction on releasing the funds until a FED-EX or UPS tracking number is show as shipped and it still won't release for three days afterwords.

Last edited:

TyGuy

Yeah, I know it's a risk, but for low cost items it's a risk I am willing to take. If I lose the money it won't kill me, but that doesn't mean I won't try to get the money back.