• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No gun signs in Lebanon Ky parks

hotrod

I have been told that there are no gun signs at the city park in Lebanon, Ky. I ask someone to get pictures and he sent them to me. I will be emailing and writing the mayor and the city attorney and find out why. I have been told that people have been removed from the park by police for open carry. As soon as I receive a reply, I will let all know what up. If anyone lives in Marion County and have any further information, please post and let us know your encounters

boomer92266

any news so far?, here in monroe county there used to be signs in the tompkinsville park, but they came down about 2-3 years ago and new signs went up with everything from before except the no firearms posting, plus they now have a campground in the tompkinsville one. carried there last week with my wife and son, police came through on patrol a few times. never stopped and checked me just waved and went on. my 3 year old caught his first fish that day too.

flb_78

I live 15 miles from Lebanon and I know a couple members of the fair board. Im not familiar with the parks in Lebanon but I may swing through and see what I can find.

flb_78

Drove through the park today and they don't mind spending money on signs.

Attachments

• ng1.jpg
    ng1.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 108
  • ng2.jpg
    ng2.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 113
  • ng3.jpg
    ng3.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 97
  • ng4.jpg
    ng4.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 100
  • ng5.jpg
    ng5.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 106
  • ng6.jpg
    ng6.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 118

hotrod

Here is the email I sent the mayor:

Dear Sir,

This email is in reference to the no gun signs placed all around the city park. I am writing because the signs are in violation of KRS 65.870. If you have never read this statute, it says that no city or county may take part in denying people the right to carry guns and parks are included. I have also reviewed the online ordinances, for Lebanon, Kentucky, and found none to bar concealed carry in city owned buildings. This is the only action the Commonwealth of Kentucky allows a city to undertake. A complaint was lodged by a citizen of Lebanon, Kentucky.

As a board member of the Kentucky Coalition for Concealed Carry (KC3), I am requesting the removal of these signs immediately. If these are not removed, as required by KRS 65.870, there will be a request made to the board for a vote to take additional measures to secure the right of the people to carry guns in the parks of Lebanon, Kentucky. This could mean a vote to sue the city. We have sued 13 cities in the commonwealth and have secured a win in court or a settlement by all the cities. This cost these cities a great deal and we do not want to spend our time or resources on making a city do what the law requires.

I hope that this email will be taken as it is presented, as a request to remove the illegal signs. If you have any questions, or wish to contact me for additional information, please feel free to. Thank you for your assistance and I look forward to the signs removal.

Best Regards,

Brian D.

Looks like a great little park for a couple hundred OC'ers to have a picnic doesn't it? Right after a walk through City Hall. Wow that appears to be an obstinate town doesn't it?

Brian D.

Gutshot I always find it nigh onto impossible to believe that a law director doesn't yet know about statewide preemption of local gun laws after so many years have passed. Working in municipal government myself I'd be the first to admit law directors aren't always the brightest bulbs lawyer-wise, but this stuff is their JOB. If they don't know something themselves it's not rocket science to call someone else in the shyster biz that does know.

We haven't had preemption in Ohio as long as Kentucky but two cases concerning the law have made it to the Ohio Supreme Court (where preemption was upheld). So after that I'd certainly expect legal eagles for other cities to have read something about the topic.

I think the towns put those signs up knowing full well about your state's law, it's a feeble attempt to keep "troublesome elements" from doing "bad things" on park property. Lame, lame, lame, but the sheeple often like it.

self preservation

Here is the email I sent the mayor:

Dear Sir,

This email is in reference to the no gun signs placed all around the city park. I am writing because the signs are in violation of KRS 65.870. If you have never read this statute, it says that no city or county may take part in denying people the right to carry guns and parks are included. I have also reviewed the online ordinances, for Lebanon, Kentucky, and found none to bar concealed carry in city owned buildings. This is the only action the Commonwealth of Kentucky allows a city to undertake. A complaint was lodged by a citizen of Lebanon, Kentucky.

As a board member of the Kentucky Coalition for Concealed Carry (KC3), I am requesting the removal of these signs immediately. If these are not removed, as required by KRS 65.870, there will be a request made to the board for a vote to take additional measures to secure the right of the people to carry guns in the parks of Lebanon, Kentucky. This could mean a vote to sue the city. We have sued 13 cities in the commonwealth and have secured a win in court or a settlement by all the cities. This cost these cities a great deal and we do not want to spend our time or resources on making a city do what the law requires.

I hope that this email will be taken as it is presented, as a request to remove the illegal signs. If you have any questions, or wish to contact me for additional information, please feel free to. Thank you for your assistance and I look forward to the signs removal.

Best Regards,

Very well written. I look forward to a response.

hotrod

Signs are down at Lebanon city park

I was told that the signs in the park in Lebanon are gone. Thanks for all the help and everything that was done to achieve this. Remember, KC3 is there to help. Please join so that we can help you. Let us know if you see a sign you think shouldn't be there.

flb_78

Did the city tell you this or did your contact tell you this? I went through Lebanon today on the way home and didn't even think to run through the park.

flb_78

Still up at the soccer complex and still up at the rear enhance, but most are down. These were probably either forgotten or missed.

Attachments

• 20150531_133326.jpg
    20150531_133326.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 71
  • 20150531_134227.jpg
    20150531_134227.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 66
  • 20150531_134309.jpg
    20150531_134309.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 63