• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

no weapons/guns sign in parking lot of outlet mall???

scorpio_vette

ok i just remembered something i saw a few weeks back, so i don't remember the wording. i suppose i could drive back out there and take some pics if anybody here wants me to.

anyways, on highway 26 in johnson creek (basically behind the big truck stop off of hwy 94) there is a large outlet mall. a few weeks ago my wife, son and I were going to do some shopping, and as i entered the parking lot, i noticed a fairly large sign posted directly at the entrance of the parking lot (fully visible from the car as you are driving in) that had the big red circle with the slash through it, and a picture of weapons/guns. i don't remember the exact wording, but i do remember pointing out that that sign seems to be meant for the whole outlet mall, and i didn't think they could do that.

so can a outlet/strip mall post in the parking lot??? and can the owner of a outlet/strip mall actually make a blanket statement for each individual business that is in there???

Interceptor_Knight

Unless you are a licensee or out of state licensee, they (private property owner) may ban firearms from their parking lot, even in your locked car. If you are a licensee or out of state licensee, you may have your firearm anywhere in your vehicle. 943.13(c)(2).

scorpio_vette

Unless you are a licensee or out of state licensee, they (private property owner) may ban firearms from their parking lot, even in your locked car. If you are a licensee or out of state licensee, you may have your firearm anywhere in your vehicle. 943.13(c)(2).

so am i reading this wrong???
2. While carrying a firearm, enters or remains in any part of a nonresidential building, grounds of a nonresidential building, or land that the actor does not own or occupy after the owner of the building, grounds, or land, if that part of the building, grounds, or land has not been leased to another person, or the occupant of that part of the building, grounds, or land has notified the actor not to enter or remain in that part of the building, grounds, or land while carrying a firearm or with that type of firearm. This subdivision does not apply to a part of a building, grounds, or land occupied by the state or by a local governmental unit, to a privately or publicly owned building on the grounds of a university or college, or to the grounds of or land owned or occupied by a university or college, or, if the firearm is in a vehicle driven or parked in the parking facility, to any part of a building, grounds, or land used as a parking facility.

from my understanding, this says that i can have a firearm IN MY VEHICLE IN THE PARKING LOT.

or what am i missing???

Interceptor_Knight

from my understanding, this says that i can have a firearm IN MY VEHICLE IN THE PARKING LOT.

or what am i missing???

I was thinking in the context of employers... 175.60(15m) only explicitly prohibits employers from banning firearms in vehicles of licensees. I have gotten into discussions regarding property owners who say that 943.13(1m)(b) allows them to prohibit someone from having a firearm in their vehicle if they are not a licensee. They feel that 943.13(c)(2) does not negate this right and it stands on its own. This is why anyone who carries or stores a firearm in their vehicle should get a WI Carry license among the other endless reasons. There are zero drawbacks to having a license and many benefits.

Deek

I cant see how a private property owner (like, say, a mall) could expect customers to leave their guns at home, while the employees are legally allowed to keep theirs in the car.

Sounds discriminatory does'nt it...

Interceptor_Knight

I cant see how a private property owner (like, say, a mall) could expect customers to leave their guns at home, while the employees are legally allowed to keep theirs in the car.

Sounds discriminatory does'nt it...

You misunderstood something. There is no distinction between employees or non-employees. There is only a distinction between a licensee and a non-licensee when it comes to employees and condition of employment.

Deek

Looks like another example of one statute say one thing and another says some contradictory. Nice..... it's a wonder more people aren't in jail for unknowingly blundering into some offense. such as the previous debacle between transporting your firearm and being "concealed" during transport