• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Non-Resident Concealed Carry in Vehicle

roadmaster64

According to 430 ILCS 66/40 "nothing in this act shall prohibit a non-resident from transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her vehicle"

If i have my firearm concealed in a holster on my hip while in my car, and a law enforcement officer asks that I exit the vehicle will I be in violation of this act since I am no longer in my vehicle?

OC for ME

(430 ILCS 66/40) Sec. 40. Non-resident license applications.

(e) Nothing in this Act shall prohibit a non-resident from transporting a concealed firearm within his or her vehicle in Illinois, if the concealed firearm remains within his or her vehicle and the non-resident:
(1) is not prohibited from owning or possessing a firearm under federal law;
(2) is eligible to carry a firearm in public under the laws of his or her state or territory of residence, as evidenced by the possession of a concealed carry license or permit issued by his or her state of residence, if applicable; and
(3) is not in possession of a license under this Act.
If the non-resident leaves his or her vehicle unattended, he or she shall store the firearm within a locked vehicle or locked container within the vehicle in accordance with subsection (b) of Section 65 of this Act.

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs3.asp?ActID=3497

(430 ILCS 65/2) (from Ch. 38, par. 83-2) - Sec. 2. Firearm Owner's Identification Card required; exceptions.

(b) The provisions of this Section regarding the possession of firearms, firearm ammunition, stun guns, and tasers do not apply to:
(9) Nonresidents whose firearms are unloaded and enclosed in a case;
(10) Nonresidents who are currently licensed or registered to possess a firearm in their resident state;

http://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs3.asp?ActID=1657&ChapterID=39
It is Illinois and I would not take the specific language of these two Acts at face value. Southern Illinois is not Cook County or Springfield.

JTHunter2

Roadmaster - pay particular attention to the B-9 section
(b) The provisions of this Section regarding the possession of firearms, firearm ammunition, stun guns, and tasers do not apply to:
(9) Nonresidents whose firearms are unloaded and enclosed in a case;
and don't go anywhere close to C(r)ook County (Chicago) unless you want to have an "extended stay".