• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Now all we have to get her to do is to get behind some open carry legislation........

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Haley has been vocal about her stance that expanding mental health care — not gun control is the solution to reducing gun violence.

She is the proud new owner of a Beretta Storm.

RK3369

Agreed

Haley has been vocal about her stance that expanding mental health care — not gun control is the solution to reducing gun violence.

She is the proud new owner of a Beretta Storm.

If you look at all the mass shootings over the past years, in virtually every case, the perp had a history of mental problems. The issue is how do you screen people for mental suitability to own or carry a handgun? I guess that might prove to be the basis of another governmental intervention in the future. If the Feds can't push a national registration/licensing system through, then they will try for establishment of mental screening to determine suitability to own and use a handgun, or any gun for that matter. That will probably end up the same as Concealed Carry permits, where they have to be renewed every 4 or 5 years. You'll have to go and be rescreened every few years by a Psychiatrist to determine whether or not you are sane enough to own or carry a gun. I don't advocate more govt control, but I can see it coming despite the best efforts of defenders of the 2A. An awful lot of money and power bent on removing guns from society regardless of the cost to our rights. When that happens, we will all truly be serfs of the governmental lords.

Last edited:

press1280

I'm actually quite amazed there hasn't been a suit against SC. For one thing, non-residents of many states are basically reduced to glove box carry while in SC due to the non-recognition of non-resident out of state permits. With no OC you have a recipe for getting a big court win IMO. But no one has tried.

RK3369

money to bring and pursue the suit........

is probably the reason however SC does reciprocate on permits with many states. From what I can figure, it appears that we just don't reciprocate with states that have OC. Now I'm not sure why other than perhaps nobody in the current state government is a staunch advocate of OC. I believe we also don't reciprocate in circumstances where the other state has no training requirement. SC has an 8 hour class requirement (kind of a joke, imo) plus range qualification, but nonetheless it's required. We don't reciprocate with Georgia, but I am told it's because they have no training requirement. But in Georgia, you can possess your gun in your car in the glove compartment without a GA permit.

and as far as glove box carry, that's pretty much what we have to do here anyhow. My understanding is that even with a SC permit, you have to have the weapon in a closed container when in the vehicle anyhow, behind a pickup truck seat, in a console or glove box. I don't believe it can be visible. Now I haven't tried that with a LEO because I always have it in the console, but that's my understanding. You put it on your person (concealed) when you leave the vehicle.

Last edited:

hp-hobo

is probably the reason however SC does reciprocate on permits with many states. From what I can figure, it appears that we just don't reciprocate with states that have OC. Now I'm not sure why other than perhaps nobody in the current state government is a staunch advocate of OC. I believe we also don't reciprocate in circumstances where the other state has no training requirement. SC has an 8 hour class requirement (kind of a joke, imo) plus range qualification, but nonetheless it's required. We don't reciprocate with Georgia, but I am told it's because they have no training requirement. But in Georgia, you can possess your gun in your car in the glove compartment without a GA permit.

and as far as glove box carry, that's pretty much what we have to do here anyhow. My understanding is that even with a SC permit, you have to have the weapon in a closed container when in the vehicle anyhow, behind a pickup truck seat, in a console or glove box. I don't believe it can be visible. Now I haven't tried that with a LEO because I always have it in the console, but that's my understanding. You put it on your person (concealed) when you leave the vehicle.
Huh? I have two suggestions for you. First is to go find your CWP "instructor" and get your money back. If those are your understandings of SC law I can only imaging what other crap you were taught. Second would be for you to access SC laws concerning carry and read them - I mean actually read them.

-

1. South Carolina reciprocates with 18 (quick count) states. Of those 18ish states, 13ish of them are open carry states. Hell, three of them are Constitutional Carry states. Your statement has exactly zero basis in fact.

2. Glove box carry? For CWP holders? Where did you get this info? If you have a CWP that is recognized in SC from any state, you can most assuredly carry - wait for it - concealed in your vehicle. The notion that you have to disarm when entering your vehicle and then rearm when exiting it is simply ridiculous. It's not exactly safe either considering all the extra administrative gun handing involved.

-

Yeah, it's definitely time for you to do some independent research. Don't take my word for anything, and sure as hell don't consult your "instructor".

-

http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

http://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/t16c023.php

http://www.scstatehouse.gov/code/t23c031.php

RK3369

my thanks to you both..............

My misunderstanding. After re reading the SC requirements, I see that indeed, glove box carry is not required if you have a CWP. I have been operating under a false understanding and appreciate your feedback. That being said, the link to the reciprocity map shows SC reciprocating with AL and MS however, if you look at the SLED website, those two states are not listed as reciprocal with SC. I do not know why they are not listed as reciprocal on the SLED site and did not claim to know the reason why. I have been told that SC doesn't reciprocate with any state where there is no training requirement, but again, I have only been told that and do not offer that as fact. I also looked at the Alabama CWP website and they have a table of reciprocity by state, and they do not reciprocate with SC "due to stricter licensing requirement in SC". So apparently, the map can be construed in several ways, or at least it does not clearly explain what the basis of reciprocity is, if any. At any rate, thank you for clarifying the requirements for CC in your vehicle with a valid SC permit.

Last edited:

RK3369

Thanks.........

for the reference link. I'll be spending some reading time in the next week or two.

Last edited: