• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC at Stew Leonards in Newington

JohnGalt

imported post

I OCed while shopping at Stew Leonards in Newington today without incident. I expected someone to say something at least because it is an establishment marketed heavily towards kids and families. Nobody seemed to notice or care which was great.

As a bonus, I was pushing around my 3 month old daughter in a stroller. I was even stopped by an older patron who was enamored by my baby girl and just had to tell me how cute she was. I would be interested in hearing if anyone else has OCed there to hear if it was also incident free.

KennyB

imported post

Same here guys. I've found most people don't even notice, and when they do, they usually look at me and say 'hi'. It seems the word is getting around about OC, or maybe it's just because more and more are doing it everyday.

Ken

Tazman2

imported post

KennyB wrote:
Same here guys. I've found most people don't even notice, and when they do, they usually look at me and say 'hi'. It seems the word is getting around about OC, or maybe it's just because more and more are doing it everyday.

Ken
Or you guys look like you could be cops and thus nobody asks questions. As much as I'd love to be wrong, I don't think a Courant article and some other odds and ends make ALL the WACKED OUT anti's all of a sudden be okay with openly carrying a firearm. Shoot (pun intended!), I know a few people who are gun lovers but still tell me I'm going to jail if I OC but to be fair they are also the same guys who agree with searching your property without a warrant/cause because if you have nothing to hide then there's no problem! :p

Rich B

imported post

Just keep carrying, the rabid antis really have no legal footing to stand on, and they are far less aware of the laws than we are.

We have the upper hand, keep on carryin'.

JohnGalt

imported post

Tazman2 wrote:
Or you guys look like you could be cops and thus nobody asks questions. As much as I'd love to be wrong, I don't think a Courant article and some other odds and ends make ALL the WACKED OUT anti's all of a sudden be okay with openly carrying a firearm. Shoot (pun intended!), I know a few people who are gun lovers but still tell me I'm going to jail if I OC but to be fair they are also the same guys who agree with searching your property without a warrant/cause because if you have nothing to hide then there's no problem! :p
I agree that the Courant article did not create a sudden awareness and acceptance throughout the population of the state. I don't think that I came off as a cop though. How many cops walk around open carrying while pushing their babies through a supermarket? Of course, it could be that people just don't understand how "ordinary" citizens can walk around openly bearing arms unless they are law enforcement and mentally revert to the conclusion that "this person must be a cop and I don't have to question his ability to do that."

Rich B

imported post

GunTotingLawyer wrote:
Of course, it could be that people just don't understand how "ordinary" citizens can walk around openly bearing arms unless they are law enforcement and mentally revert to the conclusion that "this person must be a cop and I don't have to question his ability to do that."

I know I am ok with that.

buketdude

imported post

I def do not look like a cop..I got long hair and all..I look really young..I truly think most people just don't care if I am pushing a cart through walmart or walking down the streetwith a gun on my side...Maybe in diff parts of CT things are diff..I live in East Windsor..

Leverdude

imported post

GunTotingLawyer wrote:
I OCed while shopping at Stew Leonards in Newington today without incident. I expected someone to say something at least because it is an establishment marketed heavily towards kids and families. Nobody seemed to notice or care which was great.

As a bonus, I was pushing around my 3 month old daughter in a stroller. I was even stopped by an older patron who was enamored by my baby girl and just had to tell me how cute she was. I would be interested in hearing if anyone else has OCed there to hear if it was also incident free.

Did they have security? I live in Norwalk and shop at Stews regularly and theres a guard at the entrance. I'v never been stopped but they do look like they are paying attention.
That said I dont carry openly unless you consider an OWB holster with a shirt over it open carry.

KennyB

imported post

buketdude wrote:
I def do not look like a cop..I got long hair and all..I look really young..I truly think most people just don't care if I am pushing a cart through walmart or walking down the streetwith a gun on my side...Maybe in diff parts of CT things are diff..I live in East Windsor..
I too live in E.W. I've open carryed in Walmart myselfwith nary a problem. I think if morepermit holdersopen carriedin CT, the general public would be 'exposed' to firearmson a daily basis, and that can only help our cause. Because of past problems with LEO's who were not up on the law pertaining to OC arresting law abiding permit holdersand charging them with BOP, most permit holders are still shy on OC'ing and that's a shame. That's finally begining to change though.

Leverdude

imported post

KennyB wrote:
buketdude wrote:
I too live in E.W. I've open carryed in Walmart myselfwith nary a problem. I think if morepermit holdersopen carriedin CT, the general public would be 'exposed' to firearmson a daily basis, and that can only help our cause. Because of past problems with LEO's who were not up on the law pertaining to OC arresting law abiding permit holdersand charging them with BOP, most permit holders are still shy on OC'ing and that's a shame. That's finally begining to change though.

Theres two ways to look at it. I dont think peoples feelings about concealed vs open carry have anything to do with what LE has said. Most LEO also thought it illegal, its not the result of them misinforming us. I hope that people seeing more people carrying openly & realizing its legal sways them in our direction. But I think its a bit naive to expect that outcome here. Lets face it, CT has a definate antigun slant. Most places with OC you dont need a permit for it, only a permit to conceal. Here you basically need a permit just to buy a gun. There is NO carry without a permit & since most people certainly seem to feel concealed is more acceptable than open carry it logically follows that if/when the issue gets pushed we may well come out on the loseing side.

All thats really changed so far is the police realize they cannot just lock someone up for open carrying.

Deadman514

imported post

Hey -I'm from NYC where CC is only allowed if no one knows about it and you buy your firearms from the guy on the corner.

I'm pretty happy with the gun laws in CT! I don't mind paperwork as long as I don't have to fear jail time while protecting myself and my family!

That said...I still haven't taken the OC plunge yet...still CC. Going to the meeting of the CCDL on Tuesday... Hopefully that helps..

JohnGalt

imported post

Hawkmoon wrote:
GunTotingLawyer wrote:
How many cops walk around open carrying while pushing their babies through a supermarket? "
A lot, actually.
I must not shop at those supermarkets because I have never seen one. I don't know what a police officer "looks like" but I do have a buzz cut. Maybe that's enough...

Leverdude

imported post

I think most folks open carrying are likely taken for police of security of some sort or other. Looks dont matter as much as the gun does, cops can look like anything today, not just the stereotypical suit & tie.