• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC holster choice

Satdiver

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Lots of Serpa lovers here.

Those that have them may find this interesting. Just some food for thought.

"Most of the shooting schools I’ve been to (and many I haven’t gotten around to yet) ban Blackhawk! Serpas holsters as being simply too dangerous to use".

httphttp://bearingarms.com/guns-ammo-editor-nearly-shoots-proving-serpa-holsters-suck/?utm_source=bafbp&utm_medium=fbpage&utm_campaign=baupdate://
Meh.

What was really demonstrated was the he was not trained in the proper use of a Serpa - muscle memory was lacking. That is not a problem with the holster, that is user error.

I have personal knowledge of an instructor candidate with a thumb break who attempted to draw his handgun, it hug up on his shirt, jammed it down to clear it, and BOOM! He shot himself because his finger was inside the trigger guard at the first instance it was above the protection of his holster. Same same.

OC for ME

I wonder if Bob Owens cashed the check Safariland sent him yet.

Patrick Sweeney needs to train/practice on the proper draw technique with the Serpa...you know, the draw technique that is described in the Serpa owners manual. Or, Patrick Sweeney should sell all of his guns cuz his finger is untrainable which is a danger to himself and those around him as is seen in the video.

OC for ME

10 Best Holsters - a review

http://tinyurl.com/zjxprsx
bsflag2.gif

Safariland is not listed! ;)

Firearms Iinstuctor

Meh.

What was really demonstrated was the he was not trained in the proper use of a Serpa - muscle memory was lacking. That is not a problem with the holster, that is user error.

I have personal knowledge of an instructor candidate with a thumb break who attempted to draw his handgun, it hug up on his shirt, jammed it down to clear it, and BOOM! He shot himself because his finger was inside the trigger guard at the first instance it was above the protection of his holster. Same same.

Or put pressure on as in force on force training it is amazing where those sims rounds go. I would hope that the people doing so learned a very valuable lesson.

During Tueller drills I see more one sim round get shot into a holster.

Training, practice and muscle memory are all part of getting it right.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
Meh.

+1

These guys are like the anti-gunners, blame the holster not the operator. That damn holster shot my gun.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snipped--
Safariland is not listed!
Serpa is and that list makes no distinction as to OC or CC. Happens that the Galco (#1) is my CC holster - ask me why after many years it still looks brand spanking new.

Note that I am not selling, jus' pointing to the link.

Freedom1Man

Serpa is and that list makes no distinction as to OC or CC. Happens that the Galco (#1) is my CC holster - ask me why after many years it still looks brand spanking new.

Note that I am not selling, jus' pointing to the link.
So why does it look brand spanking new? Is it because you still have it in the original box, untouched on display?

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
So why does it look brand spanking new? Is it because you still have it in the original box, untouched on display?
Little used, never abused as I very seldom CC and even then frequently utilize the Serpa.

The Galco is mated with my Star M40 and mostly carried only at weddings and funerals.

Firearms Iinstuctor

10 Best Holsters - a review

http://tinyurl.com/zjxprsx

Black Hawk most have paid the most for advertising.

I have carried guns in and own a lot of holsters these days my Serpas get the most use.

Simple and rugged.

I wear a fancy leather pancake with matching mag holder with my stainless SR1911 as a dress up go to meeting gun.

But for every day beating around the Serpas have taken over.

Fallschirjmäger

Black Hawk most have paid the most for advertising.
"Hey boss? How come we're selling all these Serpa holsters on the wall if me 'n' da guys are telling everyone how crappy they are?"
"Don't tell them that."
"Well, why are we selling them if they aren't that good?"
"Because they give me a fantastic discount on them, they're almost pure profit, that's why. Now, go clean that counter top."

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Well holster number two sure looks nice. I would even use it for OC.
http://www.bestreviews.guide/holste...567633970&targeting=22906045571&google_params[loc]=9008472&google_params[interest]=&google_params[matchtype]=b&google_params[network]=g&google_params[device]=c&google_params[creative]=76906177331&google_params[keyword]=best%20holster&google_params[placement]=&google_params[adposition]=1o3&account_id=168&gclid=CMj4g866kMsCFdFZhgodnfwGjg

View attachment 12995

too bad they dont have it for the XDM .45
That is holster #1.

Holster #2 is the Serpa.

cabledawg

I'm yet another one of the Serpa lovers. Mine is setup on a duty belt (used a paddle for years) and belt keepers so it can be worn with virtually any outfit I own (except my work uniform, Uncle Sam wont let me). If I must CC, I simply go to the smaller gun and Serpa with paddle so it can almost hide under a jacket or loose shirt.

I have to agree with a few others though in that holster choice is going to be based off the weapon platform first then desired safety features (level of retention, etc) and last carry comfort. For my small gun, I have a ton of different holsters as I tried to find a CC and OC holster that fit my needs. In the end, for me, if I'm OCing, I wear the full frame on the duty belt, and if I'm CCing I switch the to compact frame in the OWB holster with a garment thrown over the top. But to each their own.

Comm

Duty Holster

Since this thread was about choices, I thought my problem would be best answered here.
I work for a Armored car service, and have to OC. I just bought a new Springfield XDM 45, BUT it is the competition 5.25 model. My fault for not checking it out before I bought it.
Anyway, I have looked high and low, and cannot find a Serpa or any other holster that will cover the length of the barrel.
There is a Serpa holster that "says" it will fit, but before I pay for it, would like to know if it really covers the whole barrel.
Anyone know if it does, or know of another holster?
Thanks, Comm