• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in restaurant, drinking legal?

AJG

imported post

I just find it really refreshing to read this, because in my eyes it is the true exhibition..a ocer who is open

Quoted from Tweaker:

I shall remain a reasonable, presentable, clean andarticulate OCer who onoccasion willconsume A (single) (one) (solitary) adult beverage whilst enjoyingthe local culinary delights with my beautiful baby andwife.

The Wolfhound

imported post

Legal to drink whilefollowing restaurantopen carry rules(currently but likely to change). Not recommended or advised. Not legal to be intoxicated while carrying.

That is the short version.

Pagan

imported post

I had an Irish coffee, while having dinner at the County Grill with the sherriff and congressman, and had no adverse effects or sudden impulses toward illegal activity.:shock:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

The Wolfhound wrote:
Legal to drink whilefollowing restaurantopen carry rules (currently but likely to change). Not recommended or advised. Not legal to be intoxicated while carrying.

Why is that?

None of the restaurant carry bills as proposed even mention OC or limit to CC only.

Seems to me the OC "rules" remain constant.

Yata hey

Jonesy

imported post

Grapeshot wrote:
The Wolfhound wrote:
Legal to drink whilefollowing restaurantopen carry rules (currently but likely to change). Not recommended or advised. Not legal to be intoxicated while carrying.

Why is that?

None of the restaurant carry bills as proposed even mention OC or limit to CC only.

Seems to me the OC "rules" remain constant.

Yata hey
I must agree with Grapeshot.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

AJG wrote:
jeezzz I mean seriously Ed.. did you really say to Tweaker your not invited to mydinner because....?
I did. I have been fighting for gun rights for many years.. long before I was a member of VCDL or OCDO. Writing, visiting and campaigning for my representatives, meeting and persuading community leaders and even suing a few municipalities (Falls Church and Alexandria are presently on the radar.. details in the future to come).

In MY opinion (and I may be wrong.. as i have been MANY times) I think that drinking and carrying sends the wrong message.I hold OC dinners almost monthly and have anywhere from 5-50 people attrend. While I am only "responsible" for myself I do not wish to invite someone that will go against my wishes... Thats all. I personally think that we are taking baby steps forward (this year maybe more baby steps than last) and most of those steps are attributed to lobby day, and voters. Voters that call and e-mail their delegates and senators. Some feel strongly, some do not. I believe that some that are on the fence about carry fall on the anti side if it is carry while drinking. Do I think tweaker would be a threat while carrying and having a few beers? Without ever meeting him, I do not think he would be. Would he be legal and just in his right to do so? I think he also would be.

I have a VERY GOOD friend of mine that last year went to lobby day and I met him there.. We decided to go to lunch and as we were going to order, he said... "Hey.. I have not seen you in a while.. I will buy you a beer!" I politely declined and said no thank you.. not while I am armed in public. He said "Why not? It's legal. Do you care if I have one?" I said "You can do as you please, but if you drink and carry, I am not going to sit with you at the same table". We had a talk about why, he agreed with me and had a soda. I don't expect everone to agree with me. I have also been in the low percentile on some gun issues that others thought I was wrong on but legal and I held my ground and still do as I please regardingTHAT issue.

Carry On.

Ed

The Wolfhound

imported post

I stand corrected. I had missed that the change was ONLY to CC. Anyone want to take odds on the first time the LEOs make a bad bust of an OCer? It won't make them right but it seems inevitable.

Tweaker

imported post

Well, I am glad the discourse has simmahed dahn nah. Perhaps it was my providing the soothing sounds of Hank Williams Sr.?

The people I enjoy interacting with and also in my career field are all very passionate, outspoken and easily let their ego's interfere with the appropriate level of respect for each other. I am used to it. No worries.

What is important, as recently posted above, is that we are all pulling on the same team. I have been impressed with the consistent increase in VCDL and all statewide progress with improving attitudes and legislation. It is a great time to be a freedom fanatic!

nova

imported post

wylde007 wrote:
nova wrote:
or drinking while using a table saw.
You totally lost me. :?:D
I've seen worse. The point was, you don't consume alcohol while operating machinery. Be it a vehicle, power tools, or a firearm (and yes, carrying a firearm is "operating" )

AJG wrote:
nova wrote:
Maybe because the majority of us aren't beer drinkin', gun packin', coarse people as we're often portrayed as by the media.

Just because it may be legal, doesn't mean it is good for the open carry community.

It may be legal for a fat man to wear a banana hammock at the beach, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea, or show other overweight people in a good light.

The purpose of this site is to further the cause of open carry, so the general public won't :what: or :uhoh: or :shock: just because they see someone with a holstered firearm. Just as we won't see NFA '34 repealed overnight, we need to keep gun owners and carriers in a positive light while in public. Like it or not, most people would think negatively of seeing someone drinking while carrying, just as they would if they saw someone drinking while driving, or drinking while using a table saw.

Your fat so you cant come to my club....

Your slow so you can't play in the game...

The entire premise of this website is to allow people to speak and to share views. To enlighten people as to how they are actively persueing changing the perspectives of the un-educated and to develop relationships with business owners. More and more I read... I'm right & your wrong.... you can't come to play (ie your not invited to my next dinner) because it doesnt "conform"... what doesn't it conform too??? Its legal and it depicts a good majority of the peoples nature. It's a false impression of what the normal person is and what they represent if they are not allowed to do what they legally can do, responsibily. Where are the rules that say I can't attend a OC event and enjoy a adult beverage if I so choose and give off a great personna of a person that can OC responsibly while enjoying adult beverage. I just read it as being selective to the cause and when your selective, then your harmful to the cause. My .02
No one has said you can't drink while OCing. No one's saying it should be illegal. If you're invited to a member's event, its expected you follow their rules. Or don't come. Create your own then and you set the rules.

manisbad

imported post

nova wrote:
wylde007 wrote:
nova wrote:
or drinking while using a table saw.
You totally lost me. :?:D
I've seen worse. The point was, you don't consume alcohol while operating machinery. Be it a vehicle, power tools, or a firearm (and yes, carrying a firearm is "operating" )

AJG wrote:
nova wrote:
Maybe because the majority of us aren't beer drinkin', gun packin', coarse people as we're often portrayed as by the media.

Just because it may be legal, doesn't mean it is good for the open carry community.

It may be legal for a fat man to wear a banana hammock at the beach, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea, or show other overweight people in a good light.

The purpose of this site is to further the cause of open carry, so the general public won't :what: or :uhoh: or :shock: just because they see someone with a holstered firearm. Just as we won't see NFA '34 repealed overnight, we need to keep gun owners and carriers in a positive light while in public. Like it or not, most people would think negatively of seeing someone drinking while carrying, just as they would if they saw someone drinking while driving, or drinking while using a table saw.

Your fat so you cant come to my club....

Your slow so you can't play in the game...

The entire premise of this website is to allow people to speak and to share views. To enlighten people as to how they are actively persueing changing the perspectives of the un-educated and to develop relationships with business owners. More and more I read... I'm right & your wrong.... you can't come to play (ie your not invited to my next dinner) because it doesnt "conform"... what doesn't it conform too??? Its legal and it depicts a good majority of the peoples nature. It's a false impression of what the normal person is and what they represent if they are not allowed to do what they legally can do, responsibily. Where are the rules that say I can't attend a OC event and enjoy a adult beverage if I so choose and give off a great personna of a person that can OC responsibly while enjoying adult beverage. I just read it as being selective to the cause and when your selective, then your harmful to the cause. My .02
No one has said you can't drink while OCing. No one's saying it should be illegal. If you're invited to a member's event, its expected you follow their rules. Or don't come. Create your own then and you set the rules.
If this true about "create your own rules" then why do people here get upset when a business says no guns allowed. It seems to be the same thing. While theyare legal you should follow their rules but yet people come here and complain that so and so business wouldnt let me OC or CC there. Either way someone is infringing on someone elses rights.

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

manisbad wrote:
why do people here get upset when  a business says no guns allowed.
Who get's upset? Not me. I just don't go there and give them any business. I may send them a postcard and tell them that when they create a GUN FREE ZONE the bad guys still have them, but I don't get upset (nor do any others I know of). In my local area there are 4 no guns restaurants (that I know of) out of hundreds...

nova

imported post

ed wrote:
manisbad wrote:
why do people here get upset when a business says no guns allowed.
Who get's upset? Not me. I just don't go there and give them any business. I may send them a postcard and tell them that when they create a GUN FREE ZONE the bad guys still have them, but I don't get upset (nor do any others I know of). In my local area there are 4 no guns restaurants (that I know of) out of hundreds...
+1.

Since I don't have a dog in this fight, this is where I depart.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

manisbad wrote:
If this true about "create your own rules" then why do people here get upset when a business says no guns allowed. It seems to be the same thing. While theyare legal you should follow their rules but yet people come here and complain that so and so business wouldnt let me OC or CC there. Either way someone is infringing on someone elses rights.

Your question almost lacks the merit of a response. Are you trolling?

No guns allowed per private property rights - no problem - their choice.
We do follow their rules. We complain because we are free to do so.

I plan a dinner w/o alcohol - it's my party - so my rules - your free to complain.

Where's the problem?

We all make personal decisions/choices - some OC, some CC, some do neither.

Yata hey

AJG

imported post

All (in my opinion) I'm saying is that if you or I are hosting an event (a dinner a breakfast, a whatever) to promote open carry rights and the event is in a public place (restaraunt) then the attendee's can do what they want to do(legally of course).

I agree with Grapeshot and NOVA in the context that ifyou or I are hosting an event in a "private" venue, then you or I can make the rules,can place restrictions of what can and cant happen, but in a public venue, you cant do that.

I mean seriously.... if I or any other proponent/supporter/practitioner of OC show up to the (example) Culpeper (Monthly) OC Dinner and Meet n' Greet or anyother OC public venue gathering and that person excersizes their legal right to enjoy alchoholic beverage or beverages then whats going to happen? They'll get ostrasized? They'll get ignored? They'll be the topic of discussion during the dinner? Perhaps an example of them will be made and LEO's will be called?

I'm not abdicating that OCers sashay up to the bar and start belting back shots... I'm abdicating that proper actions within the letter of the law give the cause a good light. I support gun rights also ed, definately not as actively as youin the political areana as you, but thru education and training nevertheless. This perhaps will just be a issue we agree to disagree on.

But don't be surprised sometime in the future at a OpenCarry public venue event if there is not someone in attendance enjoying a adult beverage while OCing.

Cheers! Alex

Pagan

imported post

Although I most certainly will have a beer or something while OC'ing, it is limited to 1 and only one, and with a meal, and ALWAYS in a glass, not a bottle, if a person sets up a dinner, and has organized it; and also requiring no alcohol to be consumed beforeI commit to attend, thenI would respect their wishes.

BesidesI could always just have a few drinks beforeI drive to the dinner:shock:.

that last part was a joke:pI just couldn't resist

wylde007

imported post

nova wrote:
About the table saw. Power tools in general. Meh.

You're saying that you've never sipped a cold one while building a tool shelf or power sanding cabinetry or mowing the grass or tapping the bolts out of an engine block that you thought the manual said 35lbs when it actually said 25lbs?

:D

I'm not abdicating that OCers sashay up to the bar and start belting back shots...
I surely think you mean "advocating".

dadpharm

imported post

Going to Va soon, I thought OC was the law in restaurants there,not CC carry. TX

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

AJG wrote:
All (in my opinion) I'm saying is that if you or I are hosting an event (a dinner a breakfast, a whatever) to promote open carry rights and the event is in a public place (restaraunt) then the attendee's can do what they want to do(legally of course).

I agree with Grapeshot and NOVA in the context that ifyou or I are hosting an event in a "private" venue, then you or I can make the rules,can place restrictions of what can and cant happen, but in a public venue, you cant do that.

I mean seriously.... if I or any other proponent/supporter/practitioner of OC show up to the (example) Culpeper (Monthly) OC Dinner and Meet n' Greet or anyother OC public venue gathering and that person excersizes their legal right to enjoy alchoholic beverage or beverages then whats going to happen? They'll get ostrasized? They'll get ignored? They'll be the topic of discussion during the dinner? Perhaps an example of them will be made and LEO's will be called?

I'm not abdicating that OCers sashay up to the bar and start belting back shots... I'm abdicating that proper actions within the letter of the law give the cause a good light. I support gun rights also ed, definately not as actively as youin the political areana as you, but thru education and training nevertheless. This perhaps will just be a issue we agree to disagree on.

But don't be surprised sometime in the future at a OpenCarry public venue event if there is not someone in attendance enjoying a adult beverage while OCing.

Cheers! Alex
I trust that no one will construe this as an action desired, but rather thinking through the aspects of an "unwanted guest."

First a restaurant is NOT public - it is private property. I can and will exercise control of who sits at the tables I have reserved. Lets presume that I have called for a reservation for ten people in my name - I do this. During the course of the meal someone not welcome (for whatever reason) sits down - do you doubt that I can have them removed? Sure it might take the cooperation of the owner/manager - but even if I have not "reserved" the tables, no unwanted individual will remain.

As a simple test - have someone stop by my table/booth on any Sat. morning (OC breakfast) insult and quietly berate me - I'll ask them to leave - when they don't - wanna bet what will happen?

I have seen a situation where a person insisted on talking to someone else on private property (restaurant) and the individual would not cease - bottom line they got new wrist jewelry and a ride to another location.

There are more details and specifics that apply, but don't confuse what is open to the public and private property rights.

If the event were being held in a public park, I might agree with you..........except that I contract for the shelter area and thereby gain certain rights - I'm back in control again. :)

Yata hey