• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Stories Philly Suburbs

lprgcFrank

imported post

I'm in Qatar - No OC or even CC here. Can't even bring a firearm through customs.
You have to go through metal detectors and bag x-ray machines to go into the hotels. The hotels also have jersey barriers that you need to snake around to even get to the front door. They're very security conscious.

Qatar is a small country (about size of CT & RI combined) with an immigrant workforce about 4 times the size of the citizens. Any issues with the law if you are not a citizen and you are jailed or deported.

lprgcFrank

imported post

Got back in the US late on Wednesday. Glad to be home.

Routine OC'ing Thursday, Friday and today with no issues - Phila. Airport, Wawa (multiple visits) , Sunoco, Braxton's pet store, Genaurdi's Great American Pub, Minellas Diner, Radnor Hotel, and walking the dog around Wayne.

Had a breakthrough conversation wit hmy wife about OC'ing. We have an American Bulldog. My wife feels that she is an ambassador for the breed because so many people mistake our dog for a Pit Bull Terrier. She got it when explained that my OC'ing is the same - I'm an ambassador for the Bill of Rights and specifically the Second Amendment.

lprgcFrank

imported post

Another uneventful day OC'ing - Meredith's in Berwyn for brunch, Wawa, KMart, and dinner in the Ruby Tuesday's in Plymouth Meeting that Pa Patriot mentioned.

TheJordTrain

imported post

lprgcFrank wrote:
so many people mistake our dog for a Pit Bull Terrier. She got it when explained that my OC'ing is the same - I'm an ambassador for the Bill of Rights and specifically the Second Amendment.

Sad that people on the street can recognize neither a pit bull terrier or the bill of rights on sight :D:?:(

I'm OCing to pep boys for an oil filter, as soon as I drag my butt through the shower. if I get arrested, I'll be sure to post.

BimmerGuy

imported post

TheJordTrain wrote:
lprgcFrank wrote:
so many people mistake our dog for a Pit Bull Terrier. She got it when explained that my OC'ing is the same - I'm an ambassador for the Bill of Rights and specifically the Second Amendment.

Sad that people on the street can recognize neither a pit bull terrier or the bill of rights on sight :D:?:(

I'm OCing to pep boys for an oil filter, as soon as I drag my butt through the shower. if I get arrested, I'll be sure to post.
<-----------Standing by with Bail Money... lol

lprgcFrank

imported post

JordTrain - how'd you make out?

Another uneventful OC day (Tuesday) - Whole Foods in Devon for lunch, Genaurdi's in St. Davids and then Staples in Gateway with dozens of other parents getting the 'oh I forget to tell you I need this list of stuff for school' last minute shopping.....

TheJordTrain

imported post

lprgcFrank wrote:
JordTrain - how'd you make out?

OOPS LOL -

Got through Pep Boys and PetSmart (PetsMart?) in newtown square just fine. I admit my ego may have played a role, the service at the pepboys was pretty lousy, even for a guy who's used to being noticed, if you catch my drift :?

freesoul

imported post

Greets all from Upper Bucks Co!

8 yr LTCF holder who just stumbled upon this site after doing some research. A friend had seen someone OC out in public and got me asking questions. I have to admit I don't know whether I will OC or not as I like to keep a low profile but its nice knowing I have the option.

I was curious where the line is drawn between CC and OC. Say I'm wearing a jacket over my hip holster and take it off, am I legal the whole time? I guess assuming that no one sees me do it because I gather that may be considered 'brandishing' if someone sees me do it and assumes I am showing it to them on purpose.

Cheers, Andrew

TheJordTrain

imported post

freesoul wrote:
Greets all from Upper Bucks Co!

8 yr LTCF holder who just stumbled upon this site after doing some research. A friend had seen someone OC out in public and got me asking questions. I have to admit I don't know whether I will OC or not as I like to keep a low profile but its nice knowing I have the option.

I was curious where the line is drawn between CC and OC. Say I'm wearing a jacket over my hip holster and take it off, am I legal the whole time? I guess assuming that no one sees me do it because I gather that may be considered 'brandishing' if someone sees me do it and assumes I am showing it to them on purpose.

Cheers, Andrew

Andrew,
1) you have a ltcf, so you're OK carrying concealed, and it is legal to open carry in PA, so you're legal along hte whole spectrum.

2) expect your post and mine to get trimmed pretty soon. Asking a new question would, by courtesy, warrant opening a new topic.

TheJordTrain

imported post

Another day OCing around town. Pep boys in Newtown Square, then Radio Shak in manoa shopping center. Stupid car keeps losing bulbs and little batteries and all manner of crap. I was gonna go to my favorite smoke shop (Wooden Indian in manoa shopping ctr is pro-OC by my account..) but they were closed. Too late in the day I guess.

lprgcFrank

imported post

Since I'm a PA boy - I'm going to do my more frequent OC postings on the PAFOA site.

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/concealed-open-carry-121/9346-oc-phila-suburbs.html

I'll keep posting weekly summaries here for the rest of the world....

9-8 ...another uneventful day of OC in the Wayne area. Shopping in Genaurdi's in St. Davids and lunch at Landis Restaurant in Wayne (if you like Corned Beef, their Mr. Jim's special is outstanding), WaWa, CVS, and walking the dog around Wayne.

The cashier in Genaurdi's definitely noticed - did the look at S&W on hip, look at my face, look at S&W, look at my face, took a deep breath but kept on scanning.

9-9 uneventful OC in Wawa, Wayne Presbyterian Church (just in the office, not in worship), Commerce Bank in Wayne, CVS in Wayne, Bryn Mawr Hospital parking lot (had to go into the ER - CC'd there)

9-10 Ran into a guy checking a shotgun at the airport this morning, He was surprised I could check my pistol in a soft sided suitcase. He has a LTCF from PA and we chatted about reciprocity with other states and checking in a pistol when flying. I mentioned this website as a good source of info as well as handgunlaw.us.

lprgcFrank

imported post

More mostly uneventful OC'ing...

9-14 - had a little fun last night OC'ing - got back from OH and my wife wanted a Wawa coffee, so we walked the dog down to Wawa in Wayne. I was chatting with some other customers about why only 1 person on a register on a Friday night - speculating that the student workers went back to college leaving them short. We then started discussing the regular clerks and who we try to avoid :) as they are pretty slow.

I got into the long line behind 2 of our local 'gangsta wannabe' youths (either 15 or 16) who saw the 1911 on my hip and suddenly got real quiet. They must not have recognized me as I live around the corner from them and they go to Radnor high, same as my kids. While I continued talking to the people behind me - I could hear them whispering - "is he a cop - must be - he's strapped - should we get the ciggies - no wait til he's gone then get back in line...."

Since they never addressed me, I didn't speak to them. I'm not LEO and whether they had fake ID to get cigarettes is not my concern. I just continued a pleasant conversation with the people behind me in line till I left.

9-15 uneventful OC'in again - Keystone Motors in Devon (twice), Wawa in Paoli, Wawa in Wayne, a good 2 hour walk of the dog through South Wayne and North Wayne (got a couple of dirty looks in North Wayne - not sure if one lady was more concerned that my dog might poop on her lawn or that I had a 1911 on my hip), lunch at Theresa's in Wayne, dinner at Mino in Frazer and finally food shopping in Genaurdi's in St. Davids.

9-16 Lots of fun today - not all directly OC related....
Usual uneventful OC in Wawa in Wayne, CVS, Walking the dog around Wayne - fun was OC'in at LPRGC for the monthly military rifle shoot. Only 1 other OC'r there - but since he is LEO I don't think that counts....

The Military rifle shoots are an offshoot of the Appleseed Marksmanship program started by 'Fred' of Shotgun News. Shot my AR (shot Sharpshooter - 1 dropped 400yd shot kept me from Expert :-( Also got a chance to shoot couple of rifles I never shot before - an 7.62 x 39 SKS (really long and gritty trigger) and a CMP surplus .30 Carbine. The Carbine was nice - have to put one of these on my wish list.

time to get back on the airplane to go to work in OH.....

Tomahawk

imported post

lprgcFrank wrote:
The Military rifle shoots are an offshoot of the Appleseed Marksmanship program started by 'Fred' of Shotgun News. Shot my AR (shot Sharpshooter - 1 dropped 400yd shot kept me from Expert :-( Also got a chance to shoot couple of rifles I never shot before - an 7.62 x 39 SKS (really long and gritty trigger) and a CMP surplus .30 Carbine. The Carbine was nice - have to put one of these on my wish list.
Okay, somebody please tell me where you can shoot high-powered rifles in this area. I have family living up there and I'm always trying to find an outdoor range when I come to visit.

TheJordTrain

imported post

Tomahawk wrote:
lprgcFrank wrote:
Okay, somebody please tell me where you can shoot high-powered rifles in this area.

See: French Creek State Park (right outside actually). That's the nearest place I can think of that doesn't require memberships.

imperialism2024

imported post

There are always the ranges at State Gamelands... Not my favorite, with 3-round limitation and all, but it's free and better than nothing... And there's no limitation on how powerful your rifle is as long as it uses a single projectile.

lprgcFrank

imported post

I do most of my rifle shooting at Lower Providence Rod & Gun Club in Oaks just off 422. Clubs like Ontelaunee, Guthsville and Topton further north have excellent rifle ranges and are relatively inexpensive to join.

http://www.lowerprovidencerodandgunclub.com/

Membership is required. New members join at the monthly meetings on the first Tuesday of the month. Currently rifles are on a 50 yard range - the 100 yard range is almost completed.

We do the Military Rifle shoots at 25 metres (1,000 inches) with simulated 100, 200, 300 and 400 yard targets. (lets us put lots of rounds downrange without really long walks to check and change targets) The 100 yard stage is standing, 200 yards, rapid fire sitting, 300 yards rapid fire prone and 400 yards slow fire prone. We do these shoots on the 3rd Sunday of the month starting at Noon. Next shoot is October 21.

imperialism2024

imported post

lprgcFrank wrote:
We do the Military Rifle shoots at 25 metres (1,000 inches) with simulated 100, 200, 300 and 400 yard targets. (lets us put lots of rounds downrange without really long walks to check and change targets) The 100 yard stage is standing, 200 yards, rapid fire sitting, 300 yards rapid fire prone and 400 yards slow fire prone. We do these shoots on the 3rd Sunday of the month starting at Noon. Next shoot is October 21.
Hmm sounds interesting...