• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Story: Grand Canyon

acmariner99

During the stretch of nice warm weather a week or so ago a friend and i decided to do a GC day hike. (Bright Angel all the way down to the river and back in a day -- 15 miles round trip). I was OCing my S&W 686, my 'trail gun' in a blackhawk leather holster. I did get a few questions. A couple of river rafters noticed i was "packing" and asked why I had it. To which I replied, "If there is a problem down here, help isn't exactly close by. Its for protection." They nodded in agreement and then asked how you can get a firearm in Arizona. I smiled and obliged them. On the 7.5 mile hike back out, we were walking with a family from China or Japan. We passed each other a couple of times and near one of the rest houses one of them asked me: "Is that real gun?" "Yes it is," I replied. She then clutched her chest like she was having a heart attack, "it scary." To which I chuckled a little noticing it was in jest, "its ok, its only for my protection." She then let out an exaggerated sigh of relief, "oh, phew." I nodded to them and finished my trip. It's nice to know that even some from gun control happy countries can appreciate action for responsible self-defense.

Badger Johnson

... I chuckled a little noticing it was in jest, "its ok, its only for my protection." She then let out an exaggerated sigh of relief, "oh, phew."

(What you should have added):
"That's OK, Ma'am, now hand over your sandwiches and water, and make it snappy" :dude:

jakethesnake

Someone needs to make a list of all the best possible responses to common questions.

Q: "Is that real?"

A1: "Yeah, it's real and completely legal." (too defensive? ;))

A2: "Wouldn't be any good if it wasn't!"

Q: "Are you a cop or something?"

A: "Nope. Just a regular law abiding citizen like yourself."

Q: "Why do you have a gun?" (tough one to be convincing about)

A1: "Why don't you have one :D?"

A2: "Better safe than sorry."

A3: "For personal protection."

I'm sure there are other questions and better answers!

Last edited:

acmariner99

Why I carry a gun

This would be my response if I could remember and articulate it to somebody on the fly:

"I carry a gun because I am a free man. As much as I respect law enforcement, I understand that government is not perfectly capable nor responsible for ensuring my safety in a moment of crisis. If the government were perfectly capable and solely responsible, then I would no longer be free. Therefore my security is ultimately my responsibility."

"I carry a gun because how are we supposed to balance good and evil if the good are defenseless."

Super Saiyan

Someone needs to make a list of all the best possible responses to common questions.

A1: "Yeah, it's real and completely legal." (too defensive? ;))

A2: "Wouldn't be any good if it wasn't!"

A: "Nope. Just a regular law abiding citizen like yourself."

A1: "Why don't you have one :D?"

A2: "Better safe than sorry."

A3: "For personal protection."

Don't forget the classic: "Better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it."

MSRebel54

Same ole Questions

No, I like wearing FAKE guns.

I'm something, but not a cop.

Previous answer: Because a cop is too heavy to tote around everywhere I go.

hmmm. Did I breach protocol by modifying your original post in a quote for my post? If I did, I won't do it again.

Sonora Rebel

I've always been taken aback by: 'Is that a REAL gun?'. I did have somebody ask... : 'Is that SUPPOSED to be a gun'?

There's two things goin' on with that. The person asking is either incredibly stupid or cannot otherwise formulate the appropriate question. I must assume the former. Why would anyone over the age of 12 or not in some sort of costume carry a fake gun?

I did have some woman tho ask (in Tombstone)... are those real? I thought she was referring to the guns... No... she was pointing at my spurs. (Auuugggghhhhh!)

rickc1962

I've always been taken aback by: 'Is that a REAL gun?'. I did have somebody ask... : 'Is that SUPPOSED to be a gun'?

There's two things goin' on with that. The person asking is either incredibly stupid or cannot otherwise formulate the appropriate question. I must assume the former. Why would anyone over the age of 12 or not in some sort of costume carry a fake gun?

I did have some woman tho ask (in Tombstone)... are those real? I thought she was referring to the guns... No... she was pointing at my spurs. (Auuugggghhhhh!)

Today I was in town to check my mail box and this guy from Cal. asked if I was going to a gun fight, I said I hope not, he said your not a gun fighter? I said no sir. ( Didn't even have my reenactment duds on, just wranglers, wah shirt, boots, hat, and of course I was heeled, ) he then asked if my firearm was real, I said of course, not much good carryin` a toy, he then said, " we just don't see people carryin` guns where we come from." I told him, he won't see it much in Havasu, or the valley, but its real common in the rest of the State. I said by the way, in about 2/3s of Az. most people dress western, I said there are very large ranches here where real Cowboys ride horses and punch cows. We ended our conversation with him saying " this is such a great state, and I love the freedoms you guys have here, We shook hands, and I said welcome to Az.

acmariner99

If any of you go to the GC I would suggest getting lunch at the Wendy's in Tusayan. One of the guys working there thanked me for carrying, was grateful to be living in a state where rights are protected by law and not taken away by law - (he used to live in CA and had to deal with their evil laws in court even.) When hiking on 4/24 I ran into a group from England - I heard them mutter that "I think we should stay with this guy". I love this state!!

JoeGlock40

i had a cali man pull up next to me at a stop lite when i was OC my glock on my motorcycle a few weeks ago and asked if he could take a pic of me n the gun, he said since hes from san diego you dont see that and thats it's "bada$$"
gota love az

amzbrady

During the stretch of nice warm weather a week or so ago a friend and i decided to do a GC day hike. (Bright Angel all the way down to the river and back in a day -- 15 miles round trip). I was OCing my S&W 686, my 'trail gun' in a blackhawk leather holster. I did get a few questions. A couple of river rafters noticed i was "packing" and asked why I had it. To which I replied, "If there is a problem down here, help isn't exactly close by. Its for protection." They nodded in agreement and then asked how you can get a firearm in Arizona. I smiled and obliged them. On the 7.5 mile hike back out, we were walking with a family from China or Japan. We passed each other a couple of times and near one of the rest houses one of them asked me: "Is that real gun?" "Yes it is," I replied. She then clutched her chest like she was having a heart attack, "it scary." To which I chuckled a little noticing it was in jest, "its ok, its only for my protection." She then let out an exaggerated sigh of relief, "oh, phew." I nodded to them and finished my trip. It's nice to know that even some from gun control happy countries can appreciate action for responsible self-defense.

Did they take a picture???:lol:

vanman80

Man I just don't get it sometimes; I have had several couples from Cali stop me and ask me if that was a real gun I was carrying. I of course say yes and then of course they ask me why I am carrying it. Sometimes it is so hard, it is like trying to explain in words "what is it like when a human being speaks" how do you describe something like that? "I don't know, I just open my mouth and words come out". It is such a simple answer yet so hard to describe sometimes... Anyone else feel this way?