• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC vacation experiences in Mackinaw and the UP

Yooper

it's usually the case and rarely does anyone up here try and tell people what to do, it's almost always people who don't live anywhere near here than try to change others up her to fit their ideal utopia. Funny thing is, if it is that perfect where they come from, them why do they flock up here every chance they get?

You hit the nail on the head. I've seen letters to the editor in the local newspaper from transplants who complained about the foghorns on the Portage shipping canal, complained about noise from snowmobiles on the snowmobile trail, complain about bears in town,etc, etc, etc. It's one thing to move to a new area and blend in with the community, it's something different when someone moves in and tries to instill their ideas on everyone else that pisses me off.

Bailenforcer

I remember old man Berz of the Berz Macomb Airport back in the 1980's he had that airport there for years and not a problem, then suddenly lots of quarter million dollar homes were built literally bordering the airport. They got all upset one day and sued to have the airport closed. WTF!!

My answer is let the buyer beware... You move or buy property you better do you damn homework. I did when I bought ten acres in the forest. I knew many things I was used to were going to change. I like my new neighbors.....Elk, Deer, Bear, no people within a half mile and that's only 2 people who all think like me... a couple of older Vietnam vets. When we run into each other we all get along.... I don't want nor expect them to change for me.....

You hit the nail on the head. I've seen letters to the editor in the local newspaper from transplants who complained about the foghorns on the Portage shipping canal, complained about noise from snowmobiles on the snowmobile trail, complain about bears in town,etc, etc, etc. It's one thing to move to a new area and blend in with the community, it's something different when someone moves in and tries to instill their ideas on everyone else that pisses me off.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
I remember old man Berz of the Berz Macomb Airport back in the 1980's he had that airport there for years and not a problem, then suddenly lots of quarter million dollar homes were built literally bordering the airport. They got all upset one day and sued to have the airport closed. WTF!!

My answer is let the buyer beware... You move or buy property you better do you damn homework. I did when I bought ten acres in the forest. I knew many things I was used to were going to change. I like my new neighbors.....Elk, Deer, Bear, no people within a half mile and that's only 2 people who all think like me... a couple of older Vietnam vets. When we run into each other we all get along.... I don't want nor expect them to change for me.....

My extended family has property in the UP. One if the biggest complaints they have is that trolls come up, fence off their land, post no hunting signs, and complain about trespassers. Some people have been hunting on the land for years, sort of under unwritten permission.

Yooper

My extended family has property in the UP. One if the biggest complaints they have is that trolls come up, fence off their land, post no hunting signs, and complain about trespassers. Some people have been hunting on the land for years, sort of under unwritten permission.

I hate when they do that! Or shut down snowmobile/ATV trails that have run through private property (with owners permission to the state) for decades. Trolls buy the property and revoke permission from the state to run a snowmobile/ATV trail through their property...sucks.

Michigander

I do believe both sides are wrong.

The private property should have never existed, much like all those millions of trees should have never been chopped down.

I was less than 10 last time I heavily toured the UP, but I do know that the "National Forests" in the LP are a sick joke as compared to those in the west. Private property checkered trash.

Those who want unwritten permission to use large spaces of land which aren't theirs, in my opinion, can do best living elsewhere, in states that didn't sell out so massively that there is next to no solid public land left. Like so.

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m267/Michiganderbiker/New Mexico/newmexico6.jpg
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m267/Michiganderbiker/DSC00495.jpg
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m267/Michiganderbiker/DSC00509.jpg
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m267/Michiganderbiker/DSC00500.jpg

Cold weather, meager expanses of constant public land, and relentless rust, they are not necessary.

Last edited:

Packer fan

I loved living in the U.P. and someday I'm moving back. It was like living in a small town in the E.UP. from Newberry to the Soo to Cedarville and all areas in between. It's a hard place to make a living at times but it's a great place to raise a family. Most people won't bother you because they just want to be left alone just like everyone else. Most people will help each other because they are all just trying to make a living just like everyone else.

I live in the Ozarks of Arkansas now in a town with many Chicago retirees and as said before why do people move to a new area and try to change it, they could've just stayed in the old neighborhood.

I tell people the only difference between the native born Yoopers and native born Hillbillies is the accent. Both are very friendly and both will do what they can to help and all they want to be is left alone.

Bailenforcer

Back in the 1960's I heard a saying many times that illustrated the mentality of whom we speak of. It was "When in Rome, do as the Romans do".

You don't visit Northern Michigan then demand we live as you tell us to live, act as you want us to act, if you wanted to visit an area like your home town then stay HOME! Same thing goes when you pick a place to buy, don't expect those new neighbors to let you bully them to make their neighborhood like the one you FLED from.

It's such a simple concept, yet so few get it. Shall I use Dearborn as an example?

We have a problem in this nation, we do not stand on our ideals, traditions, and values, we surrender them to the first idiot who whines and screams that word "unfair" then genuflect accordingly.

If one has values and you know them to be good then stand your ground....

I moved here because I like the people here, odd as some might be, I wouldn't change them for anything...

I loved living in the U.P. and someday I'm moving back. It was like living in a small town in the E.UP. from Newberry to the Soo to Cedarville and all areas in between. It's a hard place to make a living at times but it's a great place to raise a family. Most people won't bother you because they just want to be left alone just like everyone else. Most people will help each other because they are all just trying to make a living just like everyone else.

I live in the Ozarks of Arkansas now in a town with many Chicago retirees and as said before why do people move to a new area and try to change it, they could've just stayed in the old neighborhood.

I tell people the only difference between the native born Yoopers and native born Hillbillies is the accent. Both are very friendly and both will do what they can to help and all they want to be is left alone.

Michigander

You don't visit Northern Michigan then demand we live as you tell us to live, act as you want us to act, if you wanted to visit an area like your home town then stay HOME!

I agree 100%

But with the stipulation that when someone moves into a national forest, that they should expect people to come for recreational activities. What's more, they should feel lucky for having that property, because in a perfect world the land would be completely public. Much like it tends to be elsewhere, where the feds set it aside before major sprawl could take place.

I'm going to be backpacking on the North Country trail again this year. We're bringing battle rifles, and they aren't for the minor concerns of wildlife. If it was just a matter of bears, pistols would be fine. Rather, we're concerned that this time, as with last time, local ass holes are going to have a problem with outsiders in "their" territory when we camp in the deep woods.

Last edited:
B

Bikenut

I agree 100%

But with the stipulation that when someone moves into a national forest, that they should expect people to come for recreational activities. What's more, they should feel lucky for having that property, because in a perfect world the land would be completely public. Much like it tends to be elsewhere, where the feds set it aside before major sprawl could take place.

I'm going to be backpacking on the North Country trail again this year. We're bringing battle rifles, and they aren't for the minor concerns of wildlife. If it was just a matter of bears, pistols would be fine. Rather, we're concerned that this time, as with last time, local ass holes are going to have a problem with outsiders in "their" territory when we camp in the deep woods.
Is that banjo music in the distance?

Sorry, couldn't resist!!! And I was born and raised in the U.P. ... but still couldn't resist!!!:lol:

Michigander

Is that banjo music in the distance?

Sorry, couldn't resist!!! And I was born and raised in the U.P. ... but still couldn't resist!!!:lol:

I've got extended family across the UP and northern LP. Some fit the deliverance description quite well. :eek:

Last edited:

PDinDetroit

I agree 100%

Would you feel the same way about Hiking the AT (Appalachian Trail)?

Michigander

Would you feel the same way about Hiking the AT (Appalachian Trail)?

I can't say, because I've never hiked it any part of it.

An east coast friend of mine who moved to El Paso had similar issues to mine with aggressive locals in the woods when he lived back east, and him relaying his experiences about that are the extent of what I know about camping on the east coast states.

How about you, ever hike the AT?

Last edited:

griffin

I've backpacked about 1,000 miles on the AT. I've never had a problem. I typically don't carry, although I did on a couple of occasions like when my daughter was with me. Almost all areas around the AT are friendly. At one time the area around Erwin, TN was known to have unfriendly people, and boobie traps were occasionally found (fishhooks strung from monofilament line hung across the trail at eye level), but that has pretty much gone away.

I would advise people, particularly women hiking alone, to be careful around highly populated areas close to major roads, though.

PDinDetroit

I can't say, because I've never hiked it any part of it.

An east coast friend of mine who moved to El Paso had similar issues to mine with aggressive locals in the woods when he lived back east, and him relaying his experiences about that are the extent of what I know about camping on the east coast states.

How about you, ever hike the AT?

I have hiked small parts of the AT around the Smoky Mountains, I really want to hike the whole AT someday - not sure if I would take the time for a complete thru-hike or do a month at a time section style. I definitely want to Open Carry while hiking, so I may have to avoid some states...