• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC while on motorcycle

Cobra469

imported post

Just a quick question but wouldn't a motorcycle constitute as transporting? Or is it considered non-concealed since the vehicle itself does not block the view of the weapon? Just wondering how much of a grey area this is as my state does not allow for OC during transport. I know the laws are specific of transport and quote the fact that a weapon in a vehicle is concealed to some degree. Just wondering how it all applies to motorcycles.

AirBear

imported post

Hello Cobra 469

I do not have the WI code to review, so all I can reply to and comment on is the AL code.

A license is required to carry a concealed handgun on the person or IN a vehicle.

Motorcycle carry in AL w/o out a license to carry would have to be open carry. Open carry is not restricted in AL for a person on foot or ON a vehicle.

Hope this helps.

Cobra469

imported post

Nice thought. Here in WI we don't have CC but I will try to review the laws to see if it pertains to "in" a vehicle or if it is more generic terminology that is more open to interpretation by the local LEOs.

t33j

imported post

l_829ca2b050cf731c3febb1697f01032a.jpg

<3 Virginia

t33j

imported post

tekshogun wrote:
t33j wrote:
l_829ca2b050cf731c3febb1697f01032a.jpg

<3 Virginia

That's just beautiful! I am all for it, I would bet the look on a police officer's face would be priceless if they saw that, let alone some anti-gun advocate.
It's a life goal of mine.

scorpio_vette

imported post

in wisconsin a motorcycle has to follow the same rules as a car.

as far as where to put the encased firearm, your options are, saddle bags, cargo rack, backpack or under the seat like on some sport bikes.

there is that whole gray area about having a vehicle "open in plain view in a vehicle" (can't remember how/where that's listed, but it was discussed in another thread on here not to long ago. maybe somebody could post that for us), and i believe that on a motorcycle that would be much easier to do.
for example you could perhaps fasten the firearm to the forks, handlebars, or the rear cargo rack, but i'm still looking into that and see what i can come up with. i don't quite think Wisconsin is ready for that yet though.

MKEgal

imported post

Cobra469 wrote:
Or is it considered non-concealed since the vehicle itself does not block the view of the weapon?

It's still a motor vehicle, & your weapon has to be 'unloaded & encased' - no (loaded)
magazine in the gun, no bullet in the chamber, & inside something so every bit of the gun
is completely out of sight.

I would argue that putting the encased pistol in a tank bag would be plenty 'nuff, as I go by
the spirit of the law - can't get to it while driving / riding. To be extra safe, it'd be best to
put it in your tank bag, or in a bag strapped to your seat or tail rack.

So what do you ride?

Krysta,
who spends most of the year on 2 or 3 wheels...
BMW R65, R1100,& R1200 w/ sidecar
Looking forward to washing the salt off the roads!!