• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Oc with a shoulder holster?

Jordan6679

Previously, i carried with a factory leather belt holster. But this weekend i carried my s&w 686 in a bianchi shoulder holster around the families place, and I really like it. I am way more comfortable drawing, and I feel it is less accessible from any bad person from out of my view.
I feel like the belt holster is too far away from my direct access. Does anyone else usually carry with a shoulder holster?

Primus

Previously, i carried with a factory leather belt holster. But this weekend i carried my s&w 686 in a bianchi shoulder holster around the families place, and I really like it. I am way more comfortable drawing, and I feel it is less accessible from any bad person from out of my view.
I feel like the belt holster is too far away from my direct access. Does anyone else usually carry with a shoulder holster?

Tried it over seas for a little while (while on the fob) and it was ok I guess. Much prefer a belt set up. The downside to the draw is you have to flag yourself coming out of the holster. Also, depending on the shoulder rig it's pointing at your ribs or others who are near you. Glad you liked your rig and that it's comfortable for you.

Jordan6679

It points straight down, but the revolver grip makes it very easy to draw quick. It feels more natural to draw for me after practice shooting this weekend. What do you mean by "flag yourself"?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Primus

It points straight down, but the revolver grip makes it very easy to draw quick. It feels more natural to draw for me after practice shooting this weekend. What do you mean by "flag yourself"?

When you grab the gun is pointed down, safe direction. When you grab, and draw, the motion pulls the barrel out at an angle, then OUT away from the body (towards target), that OUT motion means at some point your probably going to point it at your left arm. You would have to raise your arm all the way up to make it clear or keep the firearm pointed straight up and down and then rotate and pull up. A natural, comfortable, draw is going to tend to point it at your arm.

I wish I could show you a video or in person what I mean, I know it may sound dumb or confusing in writing.

Jordan6679

Oh I understand what you mean. But if it was a situation where I had to use it, I would think the drawing would be the last thing on peoples minds.

Aknazer

Oh I understand what you mean. But if it was a situation where I had to use it, I would think the drawing would be the last thing on peoples minds.

All the more reason to want a safe draw.

I see plenty of people OCing with shoulder holsters, but only while deployed (one of the easiest ways to spot aircrew). When qualifying on the M9 we aren't allowed to use the shoulder holster due to it flagging those around you on the draw. Personally I tried it, but didn't like it. The gun just didn't feel as secure to me or as smooth of a draw (I use a SERPA drop-leg deployed and a SERPA belt holster when at home and not in Kommifornia). Also depending on the holster there's the chance for the front sight to end up sticking out the bottom of the holster. This can then cause the front sight to get stuck when attempting to draw. The holster that I used and handed down to me and when I went to move the gun to a better holster this was an issue (note that I used this holster for only like 1-2 days until I could get a proper holster for my M9). But I've seen others who have had this issue even with holsters that weren't worn like mine was.

Jordan6679

Thanks for the tips. It is a smooth holster, the retention is solely spring and the sight isn't sharp to get stuck. It is a smith L frame 357. I do like how tight of a hold it has, but a quick pull and its ready to go. I may just be paranoid, but the belt holster feels too far away for me to keep my eye on. I'm sure time will help that though.

WalkingWolf

I have never cared for shoulder holsters, wearing concealed it is clear the wearer is armed, by lopsided apparel. As OC the only benefit would be sitting, but a cross draw works just as well. If a person strictly OC's then the shoulder holster will be more of a PITA.

When working back in the stone age, it was either a belt slide with a untucked shirt to conceal, or tucking a 1911 into the waistband.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
If a person strictly OC's then the shoulder holster will be more of a PITA..

I have used shoulder rigs in "indian country" but in my little town it would appear a bit provocative. Comfort is a wonderful thing and you must always wear what works best for the occasion.
On the two way range dressing provocatively (weapons) is an advantage. Dragging my butt thru the grocery store or shopping center it is not.The regular open carry of long guns, thigh rigs, or shoulder holsters tend to make the natives restless in my neck of the woods. The normalization of openly carried weapons by an Armed Citizenry is important to me and I am in it for the long haul.
Everyone does what works for them. There is, in my mind, no way to "carry wrong".

Except, maybe, the guy that duct taped the gun and magazine to his head, while driving, to prove the rule. Must have hurt pulling off the tape.

Maverick9

Too bad it's considered provocative to rest your arm or hand on your rig. LEO do it and nobody claims this.

At 4:00, 5:00, yeah it might be provoc. AC, 2:00, 3:00, it could be casual.

(addressing that belt is too far away, tactically).

Now would -I- like it if I was interviewed by a LAC, OC, at hand on rig at 3:00 accompanied by harsh words for no reason. Heck yeah.

Oddly, under a shirt SH carry,you could have your hand on it, and look like you were in 'hand-warmer' position.

I'm a big fan of casual pre-deployment, but I'm ultra-non-confrontational. (looks thoughtful, scratches head).

Interesting thread.

Last edited:

Jordan6679

Too bad it's considered provocative to rest your arm or hand on your rig. LEO do it and nobody claims this.

At 4:00, 5:00, yeah it might be provocative, 2:00, 3:00, it could be casual.

There is another point I was thinking. I do like being able to rest my arm while wearing the SH, it feels more secure to me. I usually wear the belt holster at 3:00, its awkward because I don't want to rest my hand on it like I would while not carrying. I don't want to appear too provocative in my method of carrying, but I feel most comfortable carrying "dirty Harry" style. I could truly care less what people think about seeing my weapon, but I don't want to seem too forward about it.

Last edited:

Maverick9

There is another point I was thinking. I do like being able to rest my arm while wearing the SH, it feels more secure to me. I usually wear the belt holster at 3:00, its awkward because I don't want to rest my hand on it like I would while not carrying. I don't want to appear too provocative in my method of carrying, but I feel most comfortable carrying "dirty Harry" style. I could truly care less what people think about seeing my weapon, but I don't want to seem too forward about it.

Jordan, agree, but I -think- the real concern is that in some places, resting your hand or arm on your holstered firearm could be construed as brandishing. I'm not saying 'legally', or being charged with that...not saying you couldn't be charged.

Folks need to realize - gee that sounds preachy, uh, we're not LE. The firearm that's carried is just a tool. You don't rest your arm on your phone on your belt 'in case' you receive an urgent call, haha.

It's probably a matter of how we've come to see body language as a way to interpret people. It's perfectly harmless, but what if you walked around all the time like a Will Ferrell parody character, your fists on your hips like Superman, uh the George Reeves version?

I know back in the day it was pretty common to hook your thumbs on your belt buckle. Nobody really even does that.

Firearms Iinstuctor

I have used various shoulder rigs for over 35 years they have there place and uses.

I use them when I am back packing I can't seem to find a belt rig right that preforms with a 60 lb pack. I use them on extended canoe trips they fit under a PFD better.

I carried a bug in a custom very light weight one every day on the job for decades. My uniform shirt allowed this some well not in the cooler months it was under a jacket.

I use them for hunting some times when they work the best.

As with any holster they have their limits that why after many decades of carrying I have many different types to best fit the circumstances.

Stalker

My personal preference has always been to wear a shoulder holster for concealed and a hip holster for open carry. My thinking is, A shoulder holster makes it easier for a charging bad gun to point my gun at me. Where as a hip holster makes it easier for me to point at a charging bad guy. If I am carrying concealed, my gun is better protected from the hands of said bad guy. As for somebody sneaking up behind me and grabbing my gun... Yes it can happen, but a little bit of situational awareness is enough to prevent that. A high retention holster helps as well.

Rusty Young Man

My personal preference has always been to wear a shoulder holster for concealed and a hip holster for open carry. My thinking is, A shoulder holster makes it easier for a charging bad gun to point my gun at me. Where as a hip holster makes it easier for me to point at a charging bad guy. If I am carrying concealed, my gun is better protected from the hands of said bad guy. As for somebody sneaking up behind me and grabbing my gun... Yes it can happen, but a little bit of situational awareness is enough to prevent that. A high retention holster helps as well.

Welcome to OCDO, and greetings from sunny, dry Arizona!
Situational awareness is your best defense, second only to the pistol (the argument can be made that the two exist in more of a symbiosis, specifically mutualism, in which one reinforces the other), and if I may add to that, the buddy system (when possible) also seems to help increase awareness of the surroundings (best case: buddy is OC as well).

Only dissenting comment in response to your post is that while a concealed pistol is more secure from an intended, planned-out gun-grab, it may not be safe from an illicit exchange of ownership, if ya know what I mean. All that needs to happen is for you to be targeted for looking like an easy (read: UNARMED) target, blindsided by a cheap shot (such as the Knockout Assault we've been hearing more of lately) and then relieved of your pistol while you are unconscious or dead.

As to the OP: I don't particularly like shoulder holsters, and I'm not comfortable with sweeping my arm (lots of places on it I'd like to keep intact, like the bones, nerves, blood vessels, muscle tissue...) in a high-stress environment. I know training is the key to proficiency, but the rule about not pointing your muzzle at anything you're not willing to destroy seems to be there for a reason.
Looking into crossdraw though for when I have to ride in a car or sit in more constrained quarters.

Last edited:

fighting_for_freedom

I carry in a shoulder holster as often as I don't. They're great for the proper circumstances. For instance, if I'm hiking, or out and about in the country, I typically carry in a belt holster. Walking a bunch (hiking) with a shoulder holster tends to chafe and wear into my side and shoulder. If I'm driving around and getting in and out of my car a lot, I like a shoulder holster. As I carry with a western belt, it makes sitting in a car very uncomfortable, and you have to arrange yourself every time you get in and out.

I also like a shoulder holster if I'm going to be in a crowded area - for some reason having my gun down on my side where I can't see it (without looking down), and having people close behind me, makes me nervous. A shoulder rig gives you some comfort, since your gun is almost completely protected by your body, and the only access is from the front, which you can see quite well.

I generally prefer a shoulder holster as a rule. I have back problems, and wearing a belt rig for a long period of time tends to really exacerbate it. Just my 0.02.

Jordan6679

I also like a shoulder holster if I'm going to be in a crowded area - for some reason having my gun down on my side where I can't see it (without looking down), and having people close behind me, makes me nervous. A shoulder rig gives you some comfort, since your gun is almost completely protected by your body, and the only access is from the front, which you can see quite well.

That is how I feel about it, I feel more comfortable in most situations for sure. I do wear the shoulder holster to carry the big revolver because I can completely conceal it, from the eyes behind those pesky door signs I tend to disregard. If it could mean federal however, Mr smith waits in the truck.

flhrci

This is the holster that I like to wear, even though it ain't historically correct. :D

What not historically correct? the lack of a second weapon or is that Hollywood? hmm, I do not know the difference.

Nice rig though! Would like to get one myself some day.

David

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD