• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCDO meeting?

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

This has been attempted at least a couple times, although now that there are more members from the NW Indiana area maybe it can take shape this time around.

Was thinking that we could plan some type of get together -- it could be a range day, a dinner/lunch, maybe even an adopt a highway or something to get our good name out around the area and reinforce a positive image of responsible firearm owners.

Certainly I would like to do some type of range day, or a food get together, but I do think some type of public service could be a fantastic way to get the name out there and even educate some people on firearms ownership, could even get it in the local papers. I've been thinking about it for a while, and if anyone else is truly interested and would commit to such a project, I would be happy to organize such an event.

Again, would also be interested in planning some type of event maybe in February for a dinner or something of the sort.

Would appreciate the feedback of any interested parties.

Mordis

imported post

Im interested, In everything. I would love a Day that starts with a trip to a range, followed by a outing/walk about of some kind.(no fast walking, tho. Im a man of girth and dont move that quickly lol) and ending with a dinner out with our selvs and significant others.

When and if this occurs, should i Dual open carry? Both my 5" 1911 and my 4" revolver?(LOL joking)

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Hopefully some more read this, but I am optimistic that we can put this into action.

I am going to contact INDOT regarding an adopt a highway type promotion, they provide all the equipment and vests and such free of charge, and also put a sign with the name of the group on that portion of the roadway.

I also liked the idea of maybe either going to the range first, and do a group event afterwards, or possibly the event first and then dinner afterwards.

When I get some information back from them I will get it posted on the board, they reopen on Monday, so I will hope to get in touch with them early in the week. Certainly other group project could be considered as well, and could only reinforce our image in a positive manner.

Unoid

imported post

i'm down for anything. In reference to the commun service idea. That may take some good thought and I think it'd only be best if we arranged some media coverage if we do such a thing.

openryan

State Researcher
imported post

Unoid wrote:
i'm down for anything. In reference to the commun service idea. That may take some good thought and I think it'd only be best if we arranged some media coverage if we do such a thing.
I agree, I certainly like to volunteer and usually don't care if I am recognized for it or not, however if we put the time in I will make sure we get some local/Chicago media coverage, I know a few people involved with newspapers around here, and I will make some calls to see if they can do a piece about it. While the effort is in good faith and community service, it also helps to serve our own cause in the name of responsible firearms owners.

Furthermore, I would like to update you all that I did contact INDOT, and a woman is supposed to be getting back in touch with me via e-mail. She said she would try to compile a sort of list as to what sites are available and the recognition they do.

Even if we got a small piece written up in a paper, you do get a sign. If they could possibly have opencarry.com on the sign, that would be great to get traffic in.

But before going in such a direction, these are projects that take committment. Certainly we don't have to be out there every other day picking up cans and coffee cups, however quarterly, weather permitting, or even semi annually would be a good starting point I believe. So committment would be needed. However, this could be come a great meeting thing, with dinners afterwards.

Unoid

imported post

I had my girlfriend talk with her friends who write for the times and the IUN paper.

I believe she said both would do a piece if we agreed to do com service.

The IUN one would only possibly be done if there were IUN student(s) involved (I graduated last may and Ryan, you're a student still correct?)

I'm unsure on the times writer.

I'll agree to some community service if its reasonable.