• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCDO - MI The Pit Shoot! Get The Day Off NOW!!!

1ADAM12

And just why are children being excluded from this event? Maybe women should be excluded also. Some of them might get bored too. I see why stainless1911 doesn't want to go now. Not a very friendly lot.

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
Similar to the no long gun OC debate, people just plain don't like to be told what they can and can't do in a public place (private property aside.).

Making a public request for people to do something is always going to be controversial. Chances were that very few kids would have been there, but now who knows.

I can understand both side, but perhaps the better strategy was to remain silent and deal with the situation at the time if it became a problem. Oh well.

wrightme

On the off chance of that happening, I'm sure they will keep to themselves. If they are close enough for it to be a possible issue we can respectfully request that the adult keep their children away from our uncased firearms.

What? This is a joke, right?

Seriously?

I do my BEST to keep my child NEAR uncased firearms whenever possible! Seriously. If I am at a shoot, so is he. If he is willing, he is participating! Why you would want it any other way is beyond me. Anyone bringing family members to such an event is responsible for them.

1ADAM12

See post #366 and #391

It appears that "all those people" was really only one person.

So I see your point that one person might bring a child against the demands of the unofficial coordinator of the unofficial event that no one is going to attend officially.

1ADAM12

Similar to the no long gun OC debate, people just plain don't like to be told what they can and can't do in a public place (private property aside.).

Making a public request for people to do something is always going to be controversial. Chances were that very few kids would have been there, but now who knows.

I can understand both side, but perhaps the better strategy was to remain silent and deal with the situation at the time if it became a problem. Oh well.

Good advice for future planners.

Address a problem when it is a problem.

Onnie

for the most part, I hate other people's kids, I mean I really really really really really really don't care to be around them! But with that said, the Kids that have come to the MOC events that I have attended have been the most well behaved kids I have ever been around, while I like the idea of an "adult" ONLY MOC get together, I for one, would NOT have ANY issue with anyone's kids there that are behaving themselves. my 32 year old does not behave as well as those who were at Haydens the other night!\

Bring em on!:shocker:

PDinDetroit

Either honor the request or not, trying to argue it will go nowhere. The OP has clearly stated the why's FOR THIS EVENT ONLY (he and I have taken children shooting many times). There are plenty of shoots that are family oriented like Appleseed Shoots - http://appleseedinfo.org/. Don't like it, don't come.

Back on Topic...

I will try to get the time off, but no guarantees (work is blowing up)...

Last edited:

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
for the most part, I hate other people's kids, I mean I really really really really really really don't care to be around them! But with that said, the Kids that have come to the MOC events that I have attended have been the most well behaved kids I have ever been around, while I like the idea of an "adult" ONLY MOC get together, I for one, would NOT have ANY issue with anyone's kids there that are behaving themselves. my 32 year old does not behave as well as those who were at Haydens the other night!\

Bring em on!:shocker:

the presence of openly carried firearms tends to calm children. who'd a thunk it? :monkey

1ADAM12

Either honor the request or not, trying to argue it will go nowhere. The OP has clearly stated the why's FOR THIS EVENT ONLY (he and I have taken children shooting many times). There are plenty of shoots that are family oriented like Appleseed Shoots - http://appleseedinfo.org/. Don't like it, don't come.

Back on Topic...

I will try to get the time off, but no guarantees (work is blowing up)...

So since this is NOT a family oriented event, are you saying that it is for men only? That the rest of a man's family, his wife, is not welcome? Not really a big deal. i don't want to be around a bunch of screaming brats or bitchy women either. But to openly discriminate is sort of discriminatory. I am relatively new to this organization, and I can already see that there is some pretty heavy handed rulers here. And to think they play around with guns???

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
So since this is NOT a family oriented event, are you saying that it is for men only? That the rest of a man's family, his wife, is not welcome? Not really a big deal. i don't want to be around a bunch of screaming brats or bitchy women either. But to openly discriminate is sort of discriminatory. I am relatively new to this organization, and I can already see that there is some pretty heavy handed rulers here. And to think they play around with guns???

It was a F'ing REQUEST!

Honor it or don't but stop acting like a bunch of spoiled brats.

PDinDetroit

Since you are new, maybe you should read more and post less (just saying). Most of what you are asking was in the OP's First Post...

1. No statement of Men Only, Just No Children (READ: Adults only).

2. This is not an OFFICIAL EVENT of OCDO, MOC, or any other organizations. It was posted as an FYI Only and to gauge interest (speaking for eastmeyers here, but I believe this to be true).

3. Only 2 members who are in the official service structure of MOC posted here and eastmeyers is not one of them (nor am I or dougwg, etc).

4. The OP has been around here for awhile and wanted to make sure he CLEARLY POSTED Expectations for this Non-Official Event. We have learned to address potential problems BEFORE they occur (Failing to Plan is Planning to Fail).

5. The OP already posted that if has offended anyone, he apologizes. It is what it is.

6. Just so you are aware, the OCDO Owners retain the right to modify/delete any threads/posts as they see fit. They are the only "rulers" here on OCDO and have not posted in this thread.

Most of the time, people just arrange an informal shoot and just show-up. This time, you were INVITED yet still want to complain? You state "it is not a big deal", but you have posted 5 times about it so I do not believe you.

1ADAM12

Since you are new, maybe you should read more and post less (just saying). Most of what you are asking was in the OP's First Post...

1. No statement of Men Only, Just No Children (READ: Adults only).

2. This is not an OFFICIAL EVENT of OCDO, MOC, or any other organizations. It was posted as an FYI Only and to gauge interest (speaking for eastmeyers here, but I believe this to be true).

3. Only 2 members who are in the official service structure of MOC posted here and eastmeyers is not one of them (nor am I or dougwg, etc).

4. The OP has been around here for awhile and wanted to make sure he CLEARLY POSTED Expectations for this Non-Official Event. We have learned to address potential problems BEFORE they occur (Failing to Plan is Planning to Fail).

5. The OP already posted that if has offended anyone, he apologizes. It is what it is.

6. Just so you are aware, the OCDO Owners retain the right to modify/delete any threads/posts as they see fit. They are the only "rulers" here on OCDO and have not posted in this thread.

Most of the time, people just arrange an informal shoot and just show-up. This time, you were INVITED yet still want to complain? You state "it is not a big deal", but you have posted 5 times about it so I do not believe you.

Panties in a bunch?