• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC'er shoots would-be assailant on his morning walk.

Badger Johnson

Comments are 100% positive...one thought the old gentleman might not have been in fear for his life, but when you're in your 60s you can't afford to be punched by a 24 yo even once. So...tough.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
I love it when the older folks defend themselves. It does sound like there is a missing element to this story, mainly why did the younger guy start yelling in the first place. Did the older guy instigate something!

EricDailey X-NRA

After You Shoot

Comments are 100% positive...one thought the old gentleman might not have been in fear for his life, but when you're in your 60s you can't afford to be punched by a 24 yo even once. So...tough.

Put yourself in this position. If it was you and you saw this thread. What would you want to read here. This case is just getting started. We do NOT know what the shooter knows or what the investigators know. We do NOT know what the authorities will try to do here. Speculation about this case may damage innocent parties. Facts from this brief, early report do not tell the whole story. Wait till you KNOW. WAIT for facts.

rotorhead

I wonder what the writer meant by noting that the gun was "legally registered"?

chiefjason

I love it when the older folks defend themselves. It does sound like there is a missing element to this story, mainly why did the younger guy start yelling in the first place. Did the older guy instigate something!

Completely assuming here. But I have been yelled at for simply walking/biking on the road. It's possible the young guy was just a smart mouthed punk. It will be interesting to see this play out.

Don't mess with old folks.

carry for myself

Completely assuming here. But I have been yelled at for simply walking/biking on the road. It's possible the young guy was just a smart mouthed punk. It will be interesting to see this play out.

Don't mess with old folks.

i have had the same here in Maine. punk kids drive by, throw things, swear. threaten, sometimes even pop a few paintballs in your direction and speed off. some stop and try to jump you for fun.

back in college i had a few drunk idiots from my school pull up and 5 of them get out. told me and by buddy fake names *even though we were sober and knew their real names* and were planning on jumping us. until one of them saw my 6906 on my hip. then they parted ways.

people are crazy. wont know what really happened in this situation until it plays out in full.

Dreamer

I wondered the same thing. What is the alternative--ILLEGALLY registered?... WTF...

Surry County has no registration. In fact NONE of the counties in NC have registration with the exception of Durham County...

Another example of the "Mushroom Media"... Keeping the People in the dark and feeding them horse$#!+...

25-06shooter

It's just the medias way of saying it was legally purchased.

I'm OK with it. Let the uneducated gun control nuts think there is already a gun registration requirement and we won't have to fight the fight. :lol:

I am amazed at how many gun owners call the shop and ask what they need to do to get a gun they bought at private sale registered to them so they will be legal.

I go to Mt. Airy every day. I hope to get more information about the shooting next week. If I hear anything, I will pass it on.

Nate

ixtow

Founder's Club Member

It's the Media's way of putting their bias and ignorance on display. Most likely a stupid reporter kept asking the police if it was legally registered, said cop tried to explain it, but eventually gave up on the moron and said "yeah, its legal." The Reporter made of it what s/he wanted to.

ocgso

This reminds me of what my CCH instructor said a few years ago. He said "I am 67 years old, and I have had two heart attacks. If a young man threatens to beat me with his bare hands, it literally could kill me. I fear for my life in that situation, and I will strike first."

I guess this old guy thought along the same lines.

You know if we saw headlines like this everyday, people would be more civil because they wouldn't know who was carrying and who might use it.

My dad used to say that in the 20's and 30's everyone was so civil and polite because most everyone carried a little pocket pistol like a 32 S&W. If you said a cross word to someone who was having a bad day, they might just shoot you. So you were civil to avoid the likely outcome. Don't know if it is true or not, but it has always intrigued me......I really believe this would in fact work.