• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCers in action

kylemoul

The signs have been made waiting for installation now. They said we can start picking up trash if we would like though.

mspgunner

The signs have been made waiting for installation now. They said we can start picking up trash if we would like though.

It would be easier to know where to start and stop with the sign. Also makes for a great photo op!

You can throw out a date an time if you like, advanced notice is a good idea, so many have booked dates! I had my shoulder surgery yesterday, I'd be a cheering section....

kylemoul

i drove by the other day and it did not seem like there is much trash on the sides of the road.

also it does not look like theres much of a shoulder to park on either but we will have to make do.
they have the street marked for the signage i will keep you all updated.

mspgunner

There are side streets we could park on. I don't believe they are all "private"?
My shoulder surgery is healing well. End of July and through August I have many open weekends.
It would be nice to have the "signs", but baring that... Advance a date, it would be helpful for everyone to plan.... You the man for St. Louis Area OC, when it comes to TRASH!

Good work.

i drove by the other day and it did not seem like there is much trash on the sides of the road.

also it does not look like theres much of a shoulder to park on either but we will have to make do.
they have the street marked for the signage i will keep you all updated.

kylemoul

I can check with the city. I know a lot of streets in that area are private streets. There is a church parking lot we could ask permission from but don't know if we should pursue that due to 571.107 "restrictions".
They may not be private but worth checking.

If we want to choose a date we can shoot for the 21th of this month.

I have attached a file that is a brief overhead of the section. I myself will (most likely) be parked at the east by Worthington Oaks street with warning strobes flashing. They prefer some sort of warning for motorists to be aware! They would like caution flags/signs but they are not provided. If anyone would volunteer to par at the west end with some sort of warning lights or signage that would be great!

I will have safety vests and trash bags for everyone to use, and I will pick up some latex/plastic gloves to use. They do not provide any means of picking up trash with those trash poker/grabber things. Feel free to bring your own if you wish. I will double-check with the city on those streets. There is a wide enough shoulder near the western part of our road that runs east that should be wide enough to park vehicles at the worst case. I am sure the side streets will be fine though.

In advance, I have to say the following since people may arrive at different times (and to spare you all the comical safety video).
You must wear a safety vest. Nobody wants to get run over. Please return them to me when done so we can keep them for future use.
Any large containers or trash (IE water heaters, gas cans, hazard waste) do not need to be picked up. If found let me know and I will instruct you on what needs to be done.
Full trash bags need to be set on the side of the road (not on the road) by/near the shoulder.
I have to send an Activity Report into the state so we receive credit for our work. I need to get the count of volunteers that helped and the amount of trash bags we used.
We must pick up trash East and West of the designated area. It seems pretty clean to begin with, but south of the road is a bike/walking path and I say lets keep it clean for them too.
We will not work in bad weather.
Please check the hotness/coldness of the weather and dress and prep accordingly.

We have to pick up trash at least 4 times a year, however we can do more than that. April is No MOre Trash! month for the state and we may plan on showing up a few times that month just because!

The state is trying to pull through for us and our rights so it is a chance to give a little back (Minus Jay). The state spends 6 million dollars a year cleaning up roadways. Adopt-a-Highway volunteers save 1 million of that so it can be reallocated to other useful things. It may be 1/2 a mile, but every little bit matters!

Map.jpg

mspgunner

Works for me, name a time, I'll make a facebook invite and we'll get some people.

I can check with the city. I know a lot of streets in that area are private streets. There is a church parking lot we could ask permission from but don't know if we should pursue that due to 571.107 "restrictions".
They may not be private but worth checking.

If we want to choose a date we can shoot for the 21th of this month.

I have attached a file that is a brief overhead of the section. I myself will (most likely) be parked at the east by Worthington Oaks street with warning strobes flashing. They prefer some sort of warning for motorists to be aware! They would like caution flags/signs but they are not provided. If anyone would volunteer to par at the west end with some sort of warning lights or signage that would be great!

I will have safety vests and trash bags for everyone to use, and I will pick up some latex/plastic gloves to use. They do not provide any means of picking up trash with those trash poker/grabber things. Feel free to bring your own if you wish. I will double-check with the city on those streets. There is a wide enough shoulder near the western part of our road that runs east that should be wide enough to park vehicles at the worst case. I am sure the side streets will be fine though.

In advance, I have to say the following since people may arrive at different times (and to spare you all the comical safety video).
You must wear a safety vest. Nobody wants to get run over. Please return them to me when done so we can keep them for future use.
Any large containers or trash (IE water heaters, gas cans, hazard waste) do not need to be picked up. If found let me know and I will instruct you on what needs to be done.
Full trash bags need to be set on the side of the road (not on the road) by/near the shoulder.
I have to send an Activity Report into the state so we receive credit for our work. I need to get the count of volunteers that helped and the amount of trash bags we used.
We must pick up trash East and West of the designated area. It seems pretty clean to begin with, but south of the road is a bike/walking path and I say lets keep it clean for them too.
We will not work in bad weather.
Please check the hotness/coldness of the weather and dress and prep accordingly.

We have to pick up trash at least 4 times a year, however we can do more than that. April is No MOre Trash! month for the state and we may plan on showing up a few times that month just because!

The state is trying to pull through for us and our rights so it is a chance to give a little back (Minus Jay). The state spends 6 million dollars a year cleaning up roadways. Adopt-a-Highway volunteers save 1 million of that so it can be reallocated to other useful things. It may be 1/2 a mile, but every little bit matters!

View attachment 10589

kylemoul

Only 6 on the Facebook site said they are going, I doubt there will be 6. PR? You got to do it to get it...............

It will be ok. I dont see anyone else responding in the forum here...but like I said it is not completely trashed so we wouldn't need 40 people, but would be nice for people to show!

xdmcompact

I said I was in on facebook, just letting you know I am in on here also. See you on Sunday the 21st.

Last edited:

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
Actually, I just noticed the 21st is on a SUNDAY, I may very well be able to make it.

smithipedia

FB event went away.... so I assumed it was cancelled and now have made other plans that day. I guess I should have checked on here first to see if it was still happening... :confused: