• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Odd Walmart encounter

GuidoZ

I apologize for continuing this off-topic, but I just gotta say this...

amzbrady + others said:
... (lots and lots of biased, unsupported BS) ...
I don't even know where to start with this reply. I came here to see about the experience one had at the Mt Vernon Walmart (I live in Skagit county, so was quite curious) and ended up being attacked in multiple ways (I CC sometimes. I've been on EBT before. I've been unemployed before, WITHOUT CHOICE. Etc...) I realize all of this BS wasn't spewed by you specifically, but the EBT comments and employment comments... not to mention the "deport all the immigrants and there will be plenty of jobs" argument. You do realize every friggin person walking in this country (except the Native Americans) is an immigrant, right? Illegal at that. Do you have a plan for this mass deportation? Who is going to pay to have such a vast overhaul done... you're talking millions of man hours, then of course you have the corruption, because who is watching the watchers? IT'S IMPOSSIBLE. Also realize that some "illegals" are the same ones who do the work you won't, not just don't want to do. Much of it is extremely physical with poor conditions, but they take it because it's what they can get. Maybe if there weren't so many lazy American's, there wouldn't be jobs for the "illegals". This kind of viewpoint, in my eyes, is little better than the Nazi's trying to "cleanse" Germany. Seriously, wake up and smell the coffee. It's offensive remarks and absurd viewpoints like that that give those of us trying to convince many others "we aren't crazy" a very difficult time.

As for EBT, you obviously are completely ignorant and haven't a CLUE what some have gone through. I am an educated person (degree in computing; quite a bit of certifications) who owned a multi-million dollar business. Things were great - 13 employees, a brand new 5200 sq ft building, doubling in size and volume every 6 months... it was exactly what we worked 7 years to build and spent our life savings on. Suddenly, in 2008, it all came crashing down. We discovered an embezzlement situation after being contacting by the DOR and IRS, asking why we hadn't paid taxes in a year. Turns out our CFO and bookkeeper, as well as our lead onsite technician were all part of it. We could only prove around $300,000 over the course of 2 years, but we know there was more. Within months, our bank accounts were cleaned out due to levies, we had tax liens in excess of $200,000 and had to sell off the business and assets we had left. The crash of the economy didn't help - we had people declaring bankruptcy on us, losing tens of thousands of dollars a month. Big account simply went away due to closings and layoff. By April 2009, my wife and I had nothing. Cars repo'd. Investments gone (due to economy and leins). We had to pay $8,000 to a CPA for a full audit for the IRS, which was literally our last money. All credit cards we had were closed the same day (I guess lots of companies happen to look the same day.) Thanks to Obama, we were able to keep our house under the new plans. (We're still here and current to this day.)

So, for a handful of months in 2009/2010, we were hitting up food banks and using EBT so we could feed ourselves, including my 4 year old daughter and infant son. I wasn't unemployed "by choice". That kind of comment makes we want to rage in anger - we went through hell and back trying to maintain the little pride we had left, making right what we could. Eating was a big deal for us, and we did it ONLY because of EBT and food banks. Yet, looking at me or my wife, you may think we ware "able bodied" for sure and wouldn't need EBT or help. Luckily, we have made a tremendous recovery, having started another business and working off the reputation we had previously. We've made an agreement on our taxes. We've purchased new vehicles. We've made right as many wrongs as we could. We were awarded a settlement in the embezzlement that allowed the guilty party to stay out of jail, as long as he repays what we could prove. We'll be collecting a 3rd of his paycheck for the next 19 years. We're a huge supporter of a number of local charities that cater to the homeless and the food banks, giving all we can. We paid a large amount into the system during our good years, and I'm glad the system was there, corrupt or imperfect as you may think it is. It still worked exactly as it was supposed to for us - it gave us the crutch we needed to get back on our feet and start contributing to society again, as one likely believes one should.

Thanks for reading my rant. I honestly don't expect it to really change your views (or anyone else's for that matter), but I sincerely hope it makes you think twice the next time you see someone using EBT, or the next time you pass a migrant farm worker.

P.S. Well handled OP! I've yet to have a negative encounter in Skagit county, though I have had a few positive ones. I don't shop at Walmart, mainly because the people frequently scare me. :lol:

--
Peace. ~G

Last edited:

amzbrady

I understand things are not always as they seem. View attachment 6753

I have found honest people using an EBT card is rare. I also think if we have to have welfare, it should be an extension to unemployment. You should only get out of it what you have earned by working. I am sorry to hear you had to go through what you did. That is what welfare is for, honest americans who have worked and came upon a hard time.

As far as having the manpower to get rid of Illegals, that's where those who are already getting paid to sit on their duffs on welfare come into play. Most can still sit on their arses and do the computer work. Others can work with border patrol. We can provide one last job to the Illegals, building a huge fence. That would solve the problem the Mexican president has with us sending guns to his country. He can stop anything from entering his country illegally. That would teach us. In 1953 Dwight Eisenhower inacted "Operation *******". President Eisenhower cut off illegal immigration. He did it quickly and decisively with only 1,075 United States Border Patrol agents – less than one-tenth of today's force. The operation is still highly praised among veterans of the Border Patrol. I would rather see our tax dollars go into stopping an illegal activity, than to support an illegal activity.
View attachment 6754

Walmart is a great place to people watch. Steve McGrew says it best.
http://comedians.jokes.com/steve-mcgrew/videos/steve-mcgrew---wal-mart

GuidoZ

Thank you for not attacking back. I admit I was a bit "hot" while writing that. :mad: I may have said some things differently than if I weren't. ;)

I understand things are not always as they seem. View attachment 6753

I have found honest people using an EBT card is rare. I also think if we have to have welfare, it should be an extension to unemployment. You should only get out of it what you have earned by working. I am sorry to hear you had to go through what you did. That is what welfare is for, honest americans who have worked and came upon a hard time.
That is certainly something I can support, though some might not be so lucky... unemployment is based on what you make. Just because someone has a lower paying job, it doesn't always mean they are doing less work. (Frequently it's quite the opposite.) Either way, it's a start.

As far as having the manpower to get rid of Illegals, that's where those who are already getting paid to sit on their duffs on welfare come into play. Most can still sit on their arses and do the computer work. Others can work with border patrol. We can provide one last job to the Illegals, building a huge fence. That would solve the problem the Mexican president has with us sending guns to his country. He can stop anything from entering his country illegally. That would teach us. In 1953 Dwight Eisenhower inacted "Operation *******". President Eisenhower cut off illegal immigration. He did it quickly and decisively with only 1,075 United States Border Patrol agents – less than one-tenth of today's force. The operation is still highly praised among veterans of the Border Patrol. I would rather see our tax dollars go into stopping an illegal activity, than to support an illegal activity.View attachment 6754
There were also a LOT less people then, "illegals" included. But I do get what you're saying - make those not working do their part. I'm for that too - just not sure if I'd trust them to properly do the work. As I said, if it wasn't for the large amounts of lazy American's (entitlement issues aside), then there wouldn't be room for so many "illegals" to set up shop. You also need to have the employers stop doing what they know is illegal, but when you can pay someone less than minimum wage because it's "off the books", many take advantage of it. Capitalism can get ugly too, just like every other form.

You're response has certainly renewed my faith a bit. Thanks for that. :)

--
Peace. ~G

Metalhead47

Couple of points to make here before I turn in for the night:

You do realize every friggin person walking in this country (except the Native Americans) is an immigrant, right? Illegal at that.

This is incorrect. From Columbus until the mid-19th century or so, there were no immigration laws. The European colonists may have done many bad things, but breaking non-existent laws was not among them. It could be argued that the Natives themselves were not, in fact, native... since they too came from the other land mass.

"illegals"

Yes, illegals. No condescending quotes necessary. There are laws and procedures for entering this country lawfully, whether as a visitor or a resident. One who does not follow these laws and procedures is, therefore, an illegal immigrant. Unlawful immigrant would also be acceptable. And those about whom we are speaking are, in truth, specifically illegal aliens.

...lazy American's... (sic), Capitalism can get ugly too...

It is not that Americans are lazy or unwilling to do "these jobs," they are unwilling to do them at the wages the illegals will work for. This is not so much a case of capitalism gone bad, but rather of the interference of Government and their union buddies in what is supposed to be a free market. These two have conditioned American workers to an expectation of artificially inflated wages, thereby making the jobs they had done for generations undesirable, and short-circuiting the normal supply/demand cycle that would otherwise correct those wages.

IT could also be argued, that the illegals will work for so much less due to the extensive amount of gov't support they receive, which of course addicts them to voting (again illegally) for liberals, who then enact more support and more artificially increased wages. See the vicious cycle there?

amlevin

It is not that Americans are lazy or unwilling to do "these jobs," they are unwilling to do them at the wages the illegals will work for. This is not so much a case of capitalism gone bad, but rather of the interference of Government and their union buddies in what is supposed to be a free market. These two have conditioned American workers to an expectation of artificially inflated wages, thereby making the jobs they had done for generations undesirable, and short-circuiting the normal supply/demand cycle that would otherwise correct those wages.

IT could also be argued, that the illegals will work for so much less due to the extensive amount of gov't support they receive, which of course addicts them to voting (again illegally) for liberals, who then enact more support and more artificially increased wages. See the vicious cycle there?

If we were to leave our families with other relatives in a country where the Dollar goes many times further than here, and were willing to live 10-20 people in a house built for a maximum of 6 then maybe those "off the books" wages wouldn't be so bad.

It isn't always a case of the alleged support the illegals receive, in many cases all they need to live is a few dollars for food and a few more for their portion of the rent. At one time the money sent South of the Border was estimated to be as high as $24 billion dollars. Only a fraction was taxed here. Why should the governments of Mexico, Guatemala, Nicaragua, etc. do anything to stop the illegal emigration/immigration? These wages that the illegals send home are just like Foreign Aid and they don't have to deal with Hillary Clinton to get it.

amzbrady

Thank you for not attacking back. I admit I was a bit "hot" while writing that. :mad: I may have said some things differently than if I weren't. ;)

You're response has certainly renewed my faith a bit. Thanks for that. :)

--
Peace. ~G

Why would I attack you? Some people get offended by some of the replies. That is too bad. Only the strong survive. View attachment 6764

One of the things I like best about this forum is all of our differences and the way everyone express's theirselves. View attachment 6760
Honesty is a great thing. Even though this thread has been derailed, I think it is awesome that we can discuss and dispute our thoughts on a wide variety of subjects. The way I see it is if you dont like something you are reading, "stop reading" or leave the thread . View attachment 6762

If you have to comment, be polite, if you cant be polite, be ready for replies.
View attachment 6763

Our thoughts and differences are what make us, us. Yes sometimes people get personal, people argue View attachment 6761, but in the end we all still stand for the one thing we all keep coming back here for.
View attachment 6765

GuidoZ

Well said amzbrady. :)

As for my use of quotes around "illegals", personally I prefer "undocumented". In reality, it doesn't change the fact that they are still risking deportation. It kind of dehumanizes immigrants and brands them as criminals, frequently without legal due process. Then you have the U.S. laws that allow a category of "quasi-legal" immigrants who enter the country without papers - the political asylees. Officially speaking, refugees are granted that status outside the U.S. borders, then allowed in. Asylees flee violence in their homeland and apply for political asylum after they arrive without documents. They are not, therefore, illegal, because the law permits such people to be here while awaiting a decision on their case. With the viloence going on in Mexico, this is something that is starting to be argued, as this law was enacted for war refugees, not those scared of drug fighting.

But I digress. My main point is labeling every single person who is illegal/undocumented as a criminal isn't a solution and simply aggravates the problem. Give a path for legalizing them instead of trying to figure out a master plan to deport everyone. then you could solve the wage problem, as they would be paying taxes, as well as reduce the need for so many to swam in. I'm sure this is a different opinion than most here.

I'm not a bleeding heart Liberal, but closer to that than a right-wing wacko. (Not saying anyone here is, so don't read too much into it.) I'm not really much to debate politics or religion either, as they are dead end debates. You likely aren't going to convince someone to change their position in such a way. To each their own. :banana:

--
Peace. ~G

amzbrady

Well said amzbrady. :)

As for my use of quotes around "illegals", personally I prefer "undocumented". In reality, it doesn't change the fact that they are still risking deportation. It kind of dehumanizes immigrants and brands them as criminals, frequently without legal due process. Then you have the U.S. laws that allow a category of "quasi-legal" immigrants who enter the country without papers - the political asylees. Officially speaking, refugees are granted that status outside the U.S. borders, then allowed in. Asylees flee violence in their homeland and apply for political asylum after they arrive without documents. They are not, therefore, illegal, because the law permits such people to be here while awaiting a decision on their case. With the viloence going on in Mexico, this is something that is starting to be argued, as this law was enacted for war refugees, not those scared of drug fighting.

But I digress. My main point is labeling every single person who is illegal/undocumented as a criminal isn't a solution and simply aggravates the problem. Give a path for legalizing them instead of trying to figure out a master plan to deport everyone. then you could solve the wage problem, as they would be paying taxes, as well as reduce the need for so many to swam in. I'm sure this is a different opinion than most here.

I'm not a bleeding heart Liberal, but closer to that than a right-wing wacko. (Not saying anyone here is, so don't read too much into it.) I'm not really much to debate politics or religion either, as they are dead end debates. You likely aren't going to convince someone to change their position in such a way. To each their own. :banana:

--
Peace. ~G

"undocumented
I see saying undocumented worker as pretty much the same as calling a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmicist. View attachment 6777

brands them as criminals,

Thus the term "Illegal Immigrant" Their first step onto US soil is Illegal thus being a criminal activity. I would think an invasion of this magnatude would be dealt with by our military. Any other country that would invade our country with hundreds of thousands, would be an act of war. View attachment 6780
Instead we set them up on welfare and support them.

You likely aren't going to convince someone to change their position in such a way. To each their own

I agree, I was only putting my View attachment 6781 in.

Last edited:

GuidoZ

"undocumented

I see saying undocumented worker as pretty much the same as calling a drug dealer an unlicensed pharmicist (sic). View attachment 6777
Hah, well obviously a bit of a stretch, but yeah, I can see your point.

brands them as criminals,

Thus the term "Illegal Immigrant" Their first step onto US soil is Illegal thus being a criminal activity. I would think an invasion of this magnatude (sic) would be dealt with by our military. Any other country that would invade our country with hundreds of thousands, would be an act of war. View attachment 6780
Instead we set them up on welfare and support them.
Not always - frequently you'll find that many of the illegals (no quotes, to keep it simple) actually support themselves quite well, as they live well below what many Americans expect/demand. The fact that they pay much tax makes it easier. :D

You likely aren't going to convince someone to change their position in such a way. To each their own

I agree, I was only putting my View attachment 6781 in.
Always appreciated. :cool:

--
Peace. ~G