• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Oklahoma member count

Bullbuster

imported post

Now that I am in OK and OKC for that matter. I'd like to do whatI can to get the word out here in OK about open carry. Aside from word of mouth to thoseI know here its a matter of where to begin and with who.

okboomer

imported post

Hi, I just joined and am located in NW oklahoma, but do a lot of traveling to OKC.

cheers - okboomer

gprod55

imported post

To give an actual count of those that wish to carry openly would benifit what purpose? Most of us have ccw's which confuse the heck out of the perp's that wish to do us harm. Not knowing which one carries and which ones don't, keep them guessing. Especially the older set whom the thugs think they are helpless, and stare down the bussiness end of a barrel when assulting them. I agree that carrying openly will prevent most thugs from assulting the mass population who carry openly but then you have those that oppose guns and actively work for gun control. This population are the best allies of thugs and perps preying on the public. I wouldn't put it past them to photograph those carrying and posting their pictures all over the place letting them know who is carrying. This can be detrimental and cause many problems for those carring openly. Carrying concealed prevents this from happening. Allowing more leeway in carrying concealed as in places now restricted from carrying concealed ie public places and such make more sense. Those that have passed and recieved their license have already proven their clean records. The signs on doors stating no guns allowed only keep the honest ones from carrying their concealed weapons inside. A thug bent on doing harm ignore these rules. The police department are after the fact. The only one that can defend you is yourself when the incident occurs. I would rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
George Rodriguez

Bullbuster

imported post

Welcome okboomer and gprod55. What brought you to OCDO?

gprod55

I can't help but to noticeyour apprehension toward open carry. Do you support it at all or would you rather just see more lax-ed CC laws? Have you ever OC'd before?

I recently moved to OKC from Virginia and I can say, and I'm sure the many others here and across the country that OC regularly, that the anti's taking pictures of those OC'ing and posting pic's of them for all to see has never been a problem. Not to mention I have never heard of it.

What has been a problem in VA and in other parts of the country is newspapersprinting the name, address, and telephone number of new CHP holders for all to see. I don't know about you, but a picture of me OC'ing is no big deal. Heck I have posted many pics of me OC'ing on the net. What I didn't like was my wife and I's name, address and phone number posted in the paper telling all criminal thugs where we lived and sense we had a CHP we must also have guns in our home. You tell me what you would rather have happen.

OC and CC both have there place. In the hot summer months its so much nicer to be able to OC and in the winter be able to CC. But I also fee I should have the option to do either.

Again welcome to OCDO. Stick around and learn all you can about open carry.

gprod55

imported post

Yes I have carried openly but at the time I was carrying a badge as a licensed security officer for a firm here in the city. I also carry openly when putting on shows as an old west re-enactor, Civil War Re-enactor. My weapons may be loaded with blanks but have you ever seen what a blank can do at close range. They're deadly. There safe at ten feet and beyond but up close you can kill somebody. When not protraying a mexican bandit, I carry concealed. I use a pager pal holster that can be hidden inside the pants or shorts so it doesn't matter if its hot out or not. When this state allows open carry or a vote from the public comes about, I will vote for open carry. With that responsibility there should be training programs to teach the younger generation on weapons.Learning when to shoot ismore importantthen shooting straight. I'm a firm believer in education and safety.Many years ago it was necessary for me to use a handgun for self defense against a knife wielding thug, due to my inexperience at the time I missed his center mass and hit him in the shoulder. TheTexas police confiscated my 22 cal revolver until after the court hearing and sentenced him to do jail time. My handgun was returned to me. I have had to display a weapon at times to discourage assault.

okboomer

imported post

I would like to see OC in addition to CC, you know, dealer's choice :lol:.

I have an Armed Security Guard license, but that is to support close protection as a facet of my P.I. business. Therefore, I do not OC.

I do have certification in various facets of use of deadly force and other facets of carrying a weapon.

I would also like to see more reciprocation in licenses across the country. Luckily, Oklahoma seems to be one of the states that others like to recip with :lol:

cheers ~~ okboomer

gprod55

imported post

Your certification here in this state shows that you have training that meets or superceeds the training in most states. Your Cleet certification shows that you were cleared by a psychologist before you were able to attend the program for your license. Back in the mid 80's when I attended it was required by law. This test was the same one administered to our law enforcement officers. I agree with you on the reciprocity laws. Armed security and P.I. licenses from one statetonationwide should be recognized as is marriages. Although each state has the abilityto control their own gun laws reciprocity should be granted to professionals in allowing them to do their jobs. As for self defense of the localcitizen this to should be granted.From the time I first recieved my ccw a lot more states have recognized reciprocity to this state. It is coming to pass, maybe a little slower then most of us would like, but its getting there.

Bullbuster

imported post

My cousin in Chesapeake, VA is good friends with a pager pal dealer. Met the guy at a couple gun shows. I really like them. One of my issues is I wear wrangles ALLOT and its just not compatible for me. I have tried them at the shows and the one my cousin has and it hangs up way to much for me.

gprod55

imported post

Granted pager pals are not for everone. I'm an old man and I like to wear loose fitting pants which allows me no discomfort with this holster. I don't have a problem with hangups, this comes with practice at home until you become comfortable with being able to remove your gun. Some people prefer ankle holsters but wearing tight jeans can be a detriment for them. Some choices have to be made when carrying different style holsters. With open carry these choices can be eliminated. So score one for open carry.

Bullbuster

imported post

I have an Uncle Mikes paddle I used for OC'ing. However one draw back with it was it printed big time if I ever had a light jacket on. Hence why I got an IWB for those cases.

Now that I have my wife comfortable with carry'n she understands why I have a couple different styles and the pro's and con's to CC and OC.

gprod55

imported post

Welcome to Tinker Airplane Patch. I was stationed there for 11 years and retired in 86. Depending on your age, marital status, and what your used too. There are worse places to be stationed. Why not Minot? If your the outdoor type there are many places for hunting and fishing. You might want to look into the Rod & Gun Club on the base. Tinker has many good facilities and is pretty much a town within a town. Depending on what your looking for. Although OKC is a major community and has a lot going for it, Dallas/Ft Worth is just a couple hours driving time away. Anyway welcome to the Indian Territories (Oklahoma)

gprod55

imported post

Semper Fi from the father of a Marine. Our entire family has served this country of ours.Wife Air Force, Daughter Navy, Oldest son Marines, 2 sons Air Force and I retired Air Force. Thank you for your service to this country.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Good show Bullbuster glad you made the trip successfully and safely.

From the looks of things, afraid you might have your hands full educating some on the benefits of OC over CC, but good luck.

Come back and see us sometime, your always welcome.

Yata hey

Rocky44

imported post

OC vs CC.. I am for both sides. There are advantages each way you look at it. I am just thankful that so far we can still own a gun, open or concealed is not my problem. I am a Minister in Anadarko OK. A lady minister was killed in her own church awhile back. I wonder; if she had been carrying, would she still be alive today? Many think Christians, let alone Ministers, should not carry weapons. I feel God expects us to fight for what is right. Even Jesus Christ himself picked up a whip and ran the money changers out of the temple. So; after this tragic death in our city, eight of us including three women have applied for our CC License. Crime is starting to come to the churches, I feel the churches must be ready. I know I will get it for this, but so what.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

Rocky44 wrote:
OC vs CC.. I am for both sides. There are advantages each way you look at it. I am just thankful that so far we can still own a gun, open or concealed is not my problem. I am a Minister in Anadarko OK. A lady minister was killed in her own church awhile back. I wonder; if she had been carrying, would she still be alive today? Many think Christians, let alone Ministers, should not carry weapons. I feel God expects us to fight for what is right. Even Jesus Christ himself picked up a whip and ran the money changers out of the temple. So; after this tragic death in our city, eight of us including three women have applied for our CC License. Crime is starting to come to the churches, I feel the churches must be ready. I know I will get it for this, but so what.
Hearty endorsement for taking responsibility.

I believe it is our responsibility to protect life from those that would take it. Self defense and the defense of others does not violate the commandments.

Yata hey

gprod55

imported post

Many people carry either concealed or openly. This is done to protect oneself or their families. You are a person of God. You have taken on the responsibility of protecting our souls from evil. Evil comes in many forms, even the two legged kind. So do not berate yourself as a person of God because you are protecting yourself and your congregation from evil. There are evil fanatics out and about who would think nothing of eliminating Christianity for their own beliefs, or the lack thereof. Many wars have been fought in the past and still to this day because of religious beliefs. When mankind can look on each other as brothers instead of antagonists, then and only then would there be world peace. Weaponswill become tools as they were meant to be to provide food and protection from carnivorous beasts. Unfortunately mankind will never change in that they must dominate, eliminate or change to suit their needs every living and non living thing including each other. Yes, I have a cc permit and I am an advocate of open carry, but this is for protection not for dominance. Self preservation is inherent to all of us. May God be with you.

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

Bullbuster wrote:
Now that I am in OK and OKC for that matter. I'd like to do whatI can to get the word out here in OK about open carry. Aside from word of mouth to thoseI know here its a matter of where to begin and with who.

did you want the member count like your thread title states?
See http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_user.php?region=Oklahoma&country=USA

As you can see, since so many members do not list their state, our counts re very low - probably only tracking about 30% of our members by state