• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry still alive in Missouri?

usmcbess

It has been a while since I have visited the forum and it looks like there hasn't been a whole lot of activity. Drop a comment and lets see who is still around! I wouldn't mind organizing another get together!

JTHunter2

Wearing a mask doesn't help or protect anybody. Medical science has known this for over 10 years.

Six of eight randomized controlled trials found no significant differences between control and intervention groups (masks with or without hand hygiene; N95 / P2 respirators).

Results: A total of six RCTs involving 9 171 participants were included. There were no statistically significant differences in preventing laboratory-confirmed influenza (RR = 1.09, 95% CI 0.92-1.28, P > .05), laboratory-confirmed respiratory viral infections (RR = 0.89, 95% CI 0.70-1.11), laboratory-confirmed respiratory infection (RR = 0.74, 95% CI 0.42-1.29) and influenza-like illness (RR = 0.61, 95% CI 0.33-1.14) using N95 respirators and surgical masks. Meta-analysis indicated a protective effect of N95 respirators against laboratory-confirmed bacterial colonization (RR = 0.58, 95% CI 0.43-0.78).

Results: We identified 6 clinical studies (3 RCTs, 1 cohort study and 2 case–control studies) and 23 surrogate exposure studies. In the meta-analysis of the clinical studies, we found no significant difference between N95 respirators and surgical masks in associated risk of (a) laboratory-confirmed respiratory infection (RCTs: odds ratio [OR] 0.89, 95% confidence interval [CI] 0.64–1.24; cohort study: OR 0.43, 95% CI 0.03–6.41; case–control studies: OR 0.91, 95% CI 0.25–3.36); (b) influenza-like illness (RCTs: OR 0.51, 95% CI 0.19–1.41); or (c) reported workplace absenteeism (RCT: OR 0.92, 95% CI 0.57–1.50).

Meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials (RCTs) indicated a protective effect of masks and respirators against clinical respiratory illness (CRI) (risk ratio [RR] = 0.59; 95% confidence interval [CI]:0.46–0.77) and influenza-like illness (ILI) (RR = 0.34; 95% CI:0.14–0.82). Compared to masks, N95 respirators conferred superior protection against CRI (RR = 0.47; 95% CI: 0.36–0.62) and laboratory-confirmed bacterial (RR = 0.46; 95% CI: 0.34–0.62), but not viral infections or ILI.

Findings:
In this pragmatic, cluster randomized clinical trial involving 2862 health care personnel, there was no significant difference in the incidence of laboratory-confirmed influenza among health care personnel with the use of N95 respirators (8.2%) vs. medical masks (7.2%).

In conclusion there remains a substantial gap in the scientific literature on the effectiveness of facemasks to reduce transmission of influenza virus infection. While there is some experimental evidence that masks should be able to reduce infectiousness under controlled conditions [7], there is less evidence on whether this translates to effectiveness in natural settings. There is little evidence to support the effectiveness of facemasks to reduce the risk of infection.

Conclusion:
Facemask use in health care workers has not been demonstrated to provide benefit in terms of cold symptoms or getting colds. A larger study is needed to definitively establish noninferiority of no mask use.

2a4all

These studies all agree that more data are needed to gauge the effectiveness of masks. I'm thinking that the present pandemic is providing more than enough data demonstrating that masks are effective in reducing the spread of COVID-19.

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
"There's a sucker born every minute." Right out of Saul Alinsky's play book. 99% of our population is unaffected by any of this. Meaning asymptomatic is part of the 99%. And I'm sick and tired of hearing - but how would feel if one of your relatives got it and died. I'd feel bad, but shamming with gilt doesn't work with me.

When you have, so called, experts contradicting themselves, means no consensus, no proof.

I have lived to 70 with little medical complications because of my lucky rabbit's foot I carry. And no expert can prove otherwise.

2a4all

"There's a sucker born every minute." Right out of Saul Alinsky's play book. 99% of our population is unaffected by any of this. Meaning asymptomatic is part of the 99%. And I'm sick and tired of hearing - but how would feel if one of your relatives got it and died. I'd feel bad, but shamming with gilt doesn't work with me.

When you have, so called, experts contradicting themselves, means no consensus, no proof.

I have lived to 70 with little medical complications because of my lucky rabbit's foot I carry. And no expert can prove otherwise.
If you mean only that those who contracted the virus are affected, that would be true. But the pandemic has had a much wider ripple effect on the economy and society, resulting in school closings, lost jobs and maxed out medical resources. Trying to combat a contagious virus without a remedy or vaccine is an uphill battle. What are you doing to help?

It does sometimes seem that the experts are contradicting themselves, but if you pay close attention, they are revising their information because they are factoring in new knowledge about this virus. It's called research. And the rate at which such new information is generated is phenomenal. Sorting through it takes time, but time isn't on our side.

Griz

they are revising their information because they are factoring in new knowledge about this virus. It's called research.

When you can't get numbers right because a decimal point fooled you, it's either lying or idiocy.

CJ4wd

These studies all agree that more data are needed to gauge the effectiveness of masks. I'm thinking that the present pandemic is providing more than enough data demonstrating that masks are effective in reducing the spread of COVID-19.

Then you need to re-read that post. Three of those studies indicated that there was "no significant difference" in infection rates while two of them showed the masks were not effective against viruses. And those were the N95 and surgical masks ! So imagine how much LESS EFFECTIVE these cloth masks that so many well-intentioned but mis-informed are buying believing they help. They don't.

OC for ME

...not about helping, but about compliance and avoiding the long arm of the law...or getting/keeping K-12 schools open...wear the mask, whatever kind it is...getting mom/pop shops back open is the goal... getting kids back in the classroom is the goal...when teachers start coming down with nothing the parents will hold bureaucrats to account...or not...we shall see...

solus

If you mean only that those who contracted the virus are affected, that would be true. But the pandemic has had a much wider ripple effect on the economy and society, resulting in school closings, lost jobs and maxed out medical resources. Trying to combat a contagious virus without a remedy or vaccine is an uphill battle. What are you doing to help?

It does sometimes seem that the experts are contradicting themselves, but if you pay close attention, they are revising their information because they are factoring in new knowledge about this virus. It's called research. And the rate at which such new information is generated is phenomenal. Sorting through it takes time, but time isn't on our side.

1st: ripple effect caused by knee jerk reaction by the country’s legislative/executive branches of state/federal/community overseers based on the idiots, er, experts who don’t have a clue!

2nd: experts factoring in knowledge should have been done there homework, er research, prior to advising the overseers the sky is falling as the overseers implement their nonsense.

3rd: this isn’t the first virus pandemic...yet medicos should consider “Among the 2,634 patients for whom outcomes were known, the overall death rate was 21%, but it rose to 88% for those who received mechanical ventilation, the Northwell Health COVID-19 Research Consortium reported.“ (https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/202...ed-on-ventilators-died-new-york-study-shows#1)

4th: the overseer’s knee jerk nonsense percolated the new 5trillion $$ country’s debt for it’s citizen’s to repay...note no absolutions for student debt encumbrances!

if you do not have time to do the task right the first time...where are you going to find the time to redo the task over?

color of law

Accomplished Advocate
The gun business has exploded because of COVID. Buying from small businesses has exploded because the big box stores are to demanding. Yes, maybe paying a little more, but actually getting customer service does have a value. Invisible masks are all the rage, I wear one and I see them everywhere.