• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carrying

ericcris10sen

Sooo, I want to start OC'ing more, but why the heck does it feel SO uncomfortable? I grew up in communist california where you're practically a criminal for having a gun (lol joke-ish) but joined the mil and became a MP. I thought I would feel comfortable OC'ing as a civi since when I was in, I of course OC'd with a Beretta M9 as well as a little more firepower every day I worked; but I don't. It just feels....strange. Maybe I was comfortable because I was a MP and was working. Maybe because I felt comfortable in that setting. I don't really know honestly. Those of you who were uncomfortable OC'ing in the beginning, how long did it take you to get used to it? Did you do anything to help relieve yourself from the uncomfortable feeling other than telling yourself, "Suck it up nancy, just do it!"? Any tips?

http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/149689 ... AuWH8P8HAQ

^This is the type of retention holster that I use for my Glock 19 (going to get a new holster for my newish firearm the Thunder 40 Pro to see how it feels. Just a lot heavier than my Glock lol)

Reason I want to start OC'ing is even though I don't feel super comfortable right now, and even though BOTH ways of carrying are effective in their own ways, I feel like if it hits the fan, I might mess up and not be able to grab my shirt, lift it up and bring it out in time, or maybe I grab for my gun and get my shirt caught or something. I'm going to continue CC'ing, but I want to start OC'ing as well.

1245A Defender

Well,,,

Sooo, I want to start OC'ing more, but why the heck does it feel SO uncomfortable? I grew up in communist california where you're practically a criminal for having a gun (lol joke-ish) but joined the mil and became a MP. I thought I would feel comfortable OC'ing as a civi since when I was in, I of course OC'd with a Beretta M9 as well as a little more firepower every day I worked; but I don't. It just feels....strange. Maybe I was comfortable because I was a MP and was working. Maybe because I felt comfortable in that setting. I don't really know honestly. Those of you who were uncomfortable OC'ing in the beginning, how long did it take you to get used to it? Did you do anything to help relieve yourself from the uncomfortable feeling other than telling yourself, "Suck it up nancy, just do it!"? Any tips?

http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/149689 ... AuWH8P8HAQ

^This is the type of retention holster that I use for my Glock 19 (going to get a new holster for my newish firearm the Thunder 40 Pro to see how it feels. Just a lot heavier than my Glock lol)

Reason I want to start OC'ing is even though I don't feel super comfortable right now, and even though BOTH ways of carrying are effective in their own ways, I feel like if it hits the fan, I might mess up and not be able to grab my shirt, lift it up and bring it out in time, or maybe I grab for my gun and get my shirt caught or something. I'm going to continue CC'ing, but I want to start OC'ing as well.

You answer all of your own questions,, the main 1 being,,,
Suck it up Nancy,, just do it!
Youre in Fjcking UTAH!!! It is Free Country!!!
You Dont need to be a Military MP,,, to carry a gun,,
It is a natural thing for folks in UTAH to do..

ron73440

The more you do it, the more comfortable you will be.

First time I did, it really felt like everyone was looking at me.

3 years later, I feel more uncomfortable when I can't.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

solus

your final comment quote: I'm going to continue CC'ing...unquote is your mental security blanket which is holding you back from fulling immersing yourself into the daily routine of OC'g.

be an adult, tuck your shirt into your pants, look spiffy, and OC...enjoy your daily activities.

go find a wally world or sam's to go carry in and stay out of Costco...

ipse

Last edited:

ericcris10sen

You answer all of your own questions,, the main 1 being,,,
Suck it up Nancy,, just do it!
Youre in Fjcking UTAH!!! It is Free Country!!!
You Dont need to be a Military MP,,, to carry a gun,,
It is a natural thing for folks in UTAH to do..

Lol I've been here for about 2 1/2 years and have only seen one or two at most, open carrying. One being very recently at Walmart.

ericcris10sen

your final comment quote: I'm going to continue CC'ing...unquote is your mental security blanket which is holding you back from fulling immersing yourself into the daily routine of OC'g.

be an adult, tuck your shirt into your pants, look spiffy, and OC...enjoy your daily activities.

go find a wally world or sam's to go carry in and stay out of Costco...

ipse

So far I've carried in a grocery store. It was fine but still felt uncomfortable as hell. I'm always nervous about an employee or owner making a scene. I have friends who have guns and enjoy shooting them, but they fricken don't carry them, concealed or openly because "they don't feel the need to". So I'm always on my own with this. I'd just feel a lot more comfortable if I had someone with me who carried lol

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
So far I've carried in a grocery store. It was fine but still felt uncomfortable as hell. I'm always nervous about an employee or owner making a scene. I have friends who have guns and enjoy shooting them, but they fricken don't carry them, concealed or openly because "they don't feel the need to". So I'm always on my own with this. I'd just feel a lot more comfortable if I had someone with me who carried lol
Your uncomfortable feelings are perfectly understandable, but it will get more comfortable over time.

Just take things one day at at time!

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
Did you do anything to help relieve yourself from the uncomfortable feeling...?

If you post your area/region/city in Utah, there may be others from the forum nearby. Open Carry dinner meets have traditionally been a great way for new-to-OC folks to get more comfortable. The fellowship helps, as do the stories of positive experiences.

Of course, just doing it more does help too.

JoeSparky

Centurion
I am from Utah and I've been OC'ing about 95-98% of the time for the last several years---- thinking about 8 or so based one join date to this forum.
What part of Utah are you in? Want a carry buddy?
Open carry becomes more comfortable the more you engage in it.

Last edited:

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I've OC'd in Utah on many occasions, as I travel up to St. George often, and occasionally further. The only people who've looked at me funny were some blue hairs that had just gotten out of a car at the hardware store parking lot. The car had CA plates.

The only other interesting issue was that the teenagers running the counter at Sportsman's Warehouse told me that all open carry required an unloaded chamber, even when you had a permit. They stuck to their story after hearing my credentials as a BCI-certified instructor. My polite letter to management about giving legal advice at the gun counter went unanswered.

ericcris10sen

If you post your area/region/city in Utah, there may be others from the forum nearby. Open Carry dinner meets have traditionally been a great way for new-to-OC folks to get more comfortable. The fellowship helps, as do the stories of positive experiences.

Of course, just doing it more does help too.

Lol meets might be fun. :) Also updated my info

ericcris10sen

I am from Utah and I've been OC'ing about 95-98% of the time for the last several years---- thinking about 8 or so based one join date to this forum.
What part of Utah are you in? Want a carry buddy?
Open carry becomes more comfortable the more you engage in it.

Hey, I live in Hurricane, UT in Washington County. Yea I wouldn't mind a carry buddy lol wish my fricken friends over here did it lol

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Hey, I live in Hurricane, UT in Washington County. Yea I wouldn't mind a carry buddy lol wish my fricken friends over here did it lol

They will be jealous when they see how comfortably you carry a full-size pistol because you aren't trying to stuff it down your pants.

Va_Nemo

If you want comfort go with a good LEATHER owb pancake type holster. It will be less stiff and much more comfortable. And it will look much better and more professional. More expensive also but well worth it. Just google leather owb holster and you will find what you need easy.

Nemo

Taypo

The more you do it, the more comfortable you will be.

First time I did, it really felt like everyone was looking at me.

3 years later, I feel more uncomfortable when I can't.

+1

Just do it. It will be second nature before you know it and you'll be uncomfortable when you have to cover it up.

jackrockblc

Sooo, I want to start OC'ing more, but why the heck does it feel SO uncomfortable?

The short answer to your question is that you were surrounded by all that crap in California. Even though you're one of the few who managed to continue to see the truth of firearms and their roles in our lives, that doesn't mean you weren't affected by the propaganda out there.

My advice is to open carry with a quality retention holster, and it will get easier. But just have a plan to deal with hecklers, protesters, and police. Get a good audio (or video, if you can) recorder and make it accessible to use. So far, I've never had to use mine, and I've had people even shake my hand for open carrying here in Colorado.

Dario

i've had some "suck it up Nancy" moments myself. I've had to tell myself a few times that 98% of the people don't even notice and of the 2% that do, 98% of them either don't care or are glad to see it. As for the .02% that may have an issue, well that's their problem not mine.

Remember that we don't have neon signs that say "GUN HERE" and there are ways to dress, maneuver yourself and position your firearm that present a lower profile, if one is so inclined.