• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

open plinking / running and gunning on public land

exgabrit

imported post

I'm not familiar with the regs as far as shooting on public land.
Out west it appears you can just drive your truck out to the boonies and shoot a bunch of tin cans and do other running and gunning.
Can you go out to public land in Georgia such as managed areas and set up a target and fire away ?

I always carry

imported post

I don't know about that situation in particular. Good question though and I'd also like to know? I'm fortunate enough to live on 6 acres in unincorporated Kennesaw, that backs up to the woods. I can simply walk out of my back door and shoot away. :celebrate
I called the Cobb County Police to check first. All they asked is that I call them ahead of time, to let them know. If someone called after hearing the gunfire, they could tell them they already know and not to worry. :D

CraigC178

imported post

I always carry wrote:
I don't know about that situation in particular. Good question though and I'd also like to know? I'm fortunate enough to live on 6 acres in unincorporated Kennesaw, that backs up to the woods. I can simply walk out of my back door and shoot away. :celebrate
I called the Cobb County Police to check first. All they asked is that I call them ahead of time, to let them know. If someone called after hearing the gunfire, they could tell them they already know and not to worry. :D
I have a friend in far Southern-Illinois who is similarly situated. He has unincorporated 40 acres, but is very close to town. He cooked up a plan to "train" the neighbors by firing at least one round a day. Some day he'll empty a few 45 mags at a target others he just shoots a stump once with his 22. The sheriff came out on the second day and hasn't been back about shooting since. He's been doing it for years.

BobbySixKiller

imported post

I always carry wrote:
Here in Ga, if you live on 5 or more acres and are far enough away (50 yards) from a public road, it's legal to shoot on your property.

This is only part of the story. As a Fayette County native I am required to live on 20 acres to fire a rifle, and if I am not mistaken 10+ for pistols.

CraigC178

imported post

Its legal here too. We don't even have an acreage or distance from the road restriction in unincorporated areas. I was just saying how he got his neighbors and LEOs use to hearing gunfire and now they make nothing of it... I've shot a coyote with a 30-06 at 1130 PM from his back yard (into a soy field) and nobody made anything of it except for his wife who was trying to sleep.

groats

imported post

I don't worry much about shooting a squirrel or two on my property. You can hear full-automatic weapons being fired quite often, 2-3 days each week. By police, at their range just down the road. Too bad they won't share their range with us common folks.

LegitMW

imported post

I live in Cherokee county. I thought the law was just 150 ft from any public road. maybe thats just out here. well we live on 2 acres, with my grandparents adjoining us with 10 more. shoot almost every day

aadvark

imported post

Georgia Code 16-11-173(e) allows Cherokee County to regulate the discharge of Firearms within the Jurisdiction of Cherokee County.

I too, live in Cherokee County.

The only Cherokee County Code that I can find in regards to this issue is Cherokee County Code 42-21, which provides:

Sec. 42-41. Firearms and explosives.

No Person shall discharge any Firearm or Explosive, including Firecrackers or Fireworks, except with the express written permission of the Director of the Recreation and Parks Department of the County, in any Park or Recreational Facility owned, operated or controlled by the County.

(Ord. of 8-18-87(1), § 6)

This Ordinance is Lawful per Georgia Code 16-11-173(e), but fails to cite Georgia Codes 16-3-21 through 16-3-24.2. However, due to Georgia Code 16-11-173, Georgia Codes 16-3-21 through 16-3-24.2 are incoporated into Sec. 42-41, regardless of whether or not The County intends them to be.

Aye man I'm looking for a place to shoot. If you don't mind me doing target shooting at your place let me know I'll bring beer.