• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Passing through

rpyne

Hi, I am a Utah resident and hold both Utah and Arizona concealed permits. I will be passing through Oklahoma next week helping my daughter's family move from Texas to Nebraska. We will be staying overnight in Oklahoma City.

While at home in Utah and visiting family in Idaho, I regularly open carry everywhere I go.

Can someone please give me a quick overview of what I need to know about carrying in Oklahoma and any gotchas I need to know.

Thanks.

hrdware

Here is a link to the relevant firearms laws for carrying a handgun in Oklahoma. http://www.ok.gov/osbi/documents/SDA_Lawbook_NOV_2013.pdf

There are basically 5 places you can't carry:
- government buildings
- prisons
- schools
- professional sporting events
- places that allow para-mutual wagering

Gunbuster signs hold no force of law, but you can be asked to leave and could face a trespassing charge if you don't.

Per state law, LEO have the option to demand to see your permit for absolutely no reason. In practice, the majority of officers won't ask to see your permit.

Hope you enjoy your trip.

rpyne

Here is a link to the relevant firearms laws for carrying a handgun in Oklahoma. http://www.ok.gov/osbi/documents/SDA_Lawbook_NOV_2013.pdf

There are basically 5 places you can't carry:
- government buildings
- prisons
- schools
- professional sporting events
- places that allow para-mutual wagering

Gunbuster signs hold no force of law, but you can be asked to leave and could face a trespassing charge if you don't.

Per state law, LEO have the option to demand to see your permit for absolutely no reason. In practice, the majority of officers won't ask to see your permit.

Hope you enjoy your trip.

Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for. I wish I was going to be able to spend more time in Oklahoma as I have ancestral ties there. My Great Grandfather homesteaded near Fair Valley (Woods County) in about 1901.

Last edited: