• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

PC 626 and 626.9

PincheOgro1

imported post

I have been reading CFL and Penal Codes since I bought my gun in November. Everything I have read up tiill now I understand, but with this chapter, I need someone to help me understand the numbering, wording.

PC 626 (c) (2)

"Safe school zone" means an area that encompasses any of the following places during regular school hours or within 60 minutes before or after the school day or 60 minutes before or after a school-sponsored activity at the school site:

(A) Within 100 feet of a bus stop, whether or not a public transit bus stop, that has been publicly designated by the school district as a school bus stop. This definition applies only if the school district has chosen to mark the bus stop as a school bus stop.

(B) Within 1,500 feet of a school, as designated by the school district.

PC 626.9 (e) (1)

"School zone" means an area in, or on the grounds of, apublic or private school providing instruction in kindergarten or grades 1 to 12, inclusive, or within a distance of 1,000 feetfrom the grounds of the public or private school.

does the wording "providing instruction" mean the same thing as "during school hours"?

Why is there a difference in definition? PC 626 seems like a more common sense law, but PC 626.9 makes no sense. No time frame. Does this mean a person can be charged with a 626.9 violation any time , day or night, whether the school is open or closed?Why would it matter, if it was after hours. No children, no school, no teachers. I'd hate to be walking around at night with my wife and get arrested for a 626.9 violation when no school is open.

camsoup

imported post

I have mentioned the "providing instruction" thing before,

To me, it does mean while school is in session. If the school is out for the day, or on a weekend, no one is "providing instruction" I see it has a key describtion in the 626.9 PC.

And it makes no sense to protect the children, or have the law for the children s safety, when children are not present. Just like its only 25mph in a school zone, while children are present... not 24/7/365

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

It is a dangerous game to play. If you get charged you could be facing at least 10 year firearms prohibition and, as a felony wobbler the DA might just go for the jugular.

Carry safe.

Diesel-n-Lead

imported post

My interpretation of the "providing instruction" is that it is meant to clarify the grade level. Simply a more flowery way of saying "K-12 public or private school" as opposed to, say, a trade school.

The legislative intent here is crystal clear. The legislature is saying that anyone who possesses a firearm is a threat to public safety. That whole subsection of 626, like 12031 is based on that false premise.

PincheOgro1

imported post

Theseus wrote:
It is a dangerous game to play. If you get charged you could be facing at least 10 year firearms prohibition and, as a felony wobbler the DA might just go for the jugular.

Carry safe.
Sir,

I have no intention of OCing any where near a school, until I get clarification on the wording of PC 626.9. PC 626 defines a school zone "during school hours". PC 626.9 does not. I have heard of your problems, and I really feel for ya. I have been checking for schools in my area with 2 websites to make sure I am no where near a school. The only problem I have is/are "school bus stops". you can't be within 100 feet of those, as per PC 626. I have a bus stop on the street right behind my house. Either way, I have been transporting in complianceto 12026.1, .2. just to be sure. I like to OC, but it sure is a hassle.

PincheOgro1

imported post

camsoup wrote:
I have mentioned the "providing instruction" thing before,

To me, it does mean while school is in session. If the school is out for the day, or on a weekend, no one is "providing instruction" I see it has a key describtion in the 626.9 PC.

And it makes no sense to protect the children, or have the law for the children s safety, when children are not present. Just like its only 25mph in a school zone, while children are present... not 24/7/365
THIS is exactly what I think.

PincheOgro1

imported post

Diesel-n-Lead wrote:
My interpretation of the "providing instruction" is that it is meant to clarify the grade level. Simply a more flowery way of saying "K-12 public or private school" as opposed to, say, a trade school.

The legislative intent here is crystal clear. The legislature is saying that anyone who possesses a firearm is a threat to public safety. That whole subsection of 626, like 12031 is based on that false premise.

PC 626.9 does state public or private, and the grade levels "inclusive". The terminology of "providing instruction" still is questionable. See "camsoup's" post below, er... above.

I agree with you on your 2nd paragraph though. Don't cars kill more people yearly than guns do ?

Gundude

imported post

IANAL but here is how I read the 626 school thingy.

This part defines a "school"

626 (4) "School" means any elementary school, junior high school,
four-year high school, senior high school, adult school or any branch
thereof, opportunity school, continuation high school, regional
occupational center, evening high school, or technical school or any
public right-of-way situated immediately adjacent to school property
or any other place if a teacher and one or more pupils are required
to be at that place in connection with assigned school activities.

This defines what and when it's a "safe school zone" and a "safe bus stop".

626 (c)(2) "Safe school zone" means an area that encompasses any of the
following places during regular school hours or within 60 minutes
before or after the schoolday or 60 minutes before or after a
school-sponsored activity at the schoolsite:
(A) Within 100 feet of a bus stop, whether or not a public transit
bus stop, that has been publicly designated by the school district
as a schoolbus stop. This definition applies only if the school
district has chosen to mark the bus stop as a schoolbus stop.

626.9 defines what you can andcan't do in a "safe school zone" pertaining to weapons.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

PincheOgro1

imported post

Gundude wrote:

626 (c) (2) "Safe school zone" means an area that encompasses any of the

626.9 defines what you can andcan't do in a "safe school zone" pertaining to weapons.

Gun,

you just repeated the PC. The question here is, according to PC 626 it's only valid during school hours. PC 626.9 doesn't state such, but to me and others the terminology "providing instruction", implies "during school hours". This is thedebate.

I wish we could get a lawyers opinion on this, or a court ruling. Set precedence.

b1ack5mith

imported post

Can we not carry within 100' of a bus stop either!?

See, its LEGAL to carry a gun in CA... they just make it nearly impossible to NOT break any laws!

Gundude

imported post

PincheOgro1 wrote:
Gundude wrote:

626 (c) (2) "Safe school zone" means an area that encompasses any of the

Gun,

you just repeated the PC. The question here is, according to PC 626 it's only valid during school hours. PC 626.9 doesn't state such, but to me and others the terminology "providing instruction", implies "during school hours". This is thedebate.

I wish we could get a lawyers opinion on this, or a court ruling. Set precedence.
If they state something in 626 (c) (4), why would they repeat it in 626.9. That would be redundant. 626 (c) (4) says what a safe zone is and when its a safe school zone, and 626.9 says what you can and can't do in that zone. I don't understand what the debate is about.

Gundude

imported post

b1ack5mith wrote:

See, its LEGAL to carry a gun in CA... they just make it nearly impossible to NOT break any laws!
It seems that what they tried to do. I lock up my weapon till I get to my destination, and then arm myself.

mjones

imported post

626 and 626.9 are separate sections of the penal code.

The definitions used in each only apllicable to the section they reside in unless stated otherwise. The definitions are entirely separate from one another.

The numbering scheme can be confusing until you get used to it.

PincheOgro1

imported post

mjones wrote:

The definitions used in each only apllicable to the section they reside in unless stated otherwise. The definitions are entirely separate from one another.

I Understand the seperation of the defininitions. each to its seperate section. The question is what does the PC 626.9 (e) (1) terminology "providing instruction" infer. Does it, can it, could it mean "during school hours". as stated in PC 626 (c) (2). as stated above by "camsoup". If the school is closed, (after hours) then there is no one providing instruction to anyone !

Theseus

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Arguably the reason they didn't say school hours is because the schools may still be providing instruction outside of those hours. . . say a school play or rehearsal?

I do agree that your interpretation has merit, but like I said, it is a dangerous game. Even in my case a word so plain in meaning as private property was stretched and bastardized enough to get a conviction. If they can twist the plain meaning of such a word without merit what do you suppose would happen to your interpretation?

mjones

imported post

PincheOgro1 wrote:
mjones wrote:

I Understand the seperation of the defininitions. each to its seperate section. The question is what does the PC 626.9 (e) (1) terminology "providing instruction" infer. Does it, can it, could it mean "during school hours". as stated in PC 626 (c) (2). as stated above by "camsoup". If the school is closed, (after hours) then there is no one providing instruction to anyone !
I think the wording is an attempt, albeit apoor one, to distinguish 'active' schools from 'closed' schools. Closed as in 'no longer used to provide instruction'

N6ATF

Banned
imported post

Theseus wrote:
Arguably the reason they didn't say school hours is because the schools may still be providing instruction outside of those hours. . . say a school play or rehearsal?

I do agree that your interpretation has merit, but like I said, it is a dangerous game. Even in my case a word so plain in meaning as private property was stretched and bastardized enough to get a conviction. If they can twist the plain meaning of such a word without merit what do you suppose would happen to your interpretation?
Not even a stretch, bastardization, or twist. Pretty clear the government believes they own everything, and there is no such thing as private property, it's all public. Even your own body is public.

PincheOgro1

imported post

Gundude wrote:
b1ack5mith wrote:

It seems that what they tried to do. I lock up my weapon till I get to my destination, and then arm myself.
Sir PC 626 states that you cannot be within 100 ft of a school bus stop carrying "during school hours", but PC 626.9 does not mention bus stops, only schools.

camsoup

imported post

PincheOgro1 wrote:
Gundude wrote:
b1ack5mith wrote:

Sir PC 626 states that you cannot be within 100 ft of a school bus stop carrying "during school hours", but PC 626.9 does not mention bus stops, only schools.
626 doesn't mention anything about carrying. It only defines what a "safe school zone" is.

626.9 is the gun free zone