• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pistolsmiths/refinishers in or around Richmond

The Truth

Does anyone know a shop that has the capability to refinish a stainless Sig frame to match a black Nitron Sig slide? Looking for a shop that can make it look 100% factory. "Close enough" ain't good enough. Sig Sauer does not offer frame refinishing.

Thanks in advance. Looking for word of mouth, not just Google searching.

user

Accomplished Advocate
I don't know about central Va., but Sam Hatfield in Manassas is really good at that - "Hatfield's Gunsmiffin' ".

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
I don't know about central Va., but Sam Hatfield in Manassas is really good at that - "Hatfield's Gunsmiffin' ".

Unless they do mail-order that would involve crossing the Ni River. Heck, it also crosses Potomak Creek!

stay safe.

The Truth

TTi said that they were not capable...so I'm still on the hunt. This is very important to me and I am not a cheapskate when it comes to getting something done right. Unfortunately TTi were also unable to refer me to anyone.

The Truth

Hatfield's doesn't do Nitron either. If anyone knows of a shop that does Nitron refinishing on Sigs, please let me know. I've sent messages out to Gray Guns as well as talked with Sig's customer service. I think for policy reasons they aren't allowed to give me hints.

WalkingWolf

Getting any finish to stick to stainless is not easy, Glocks use carbon steel instead of stainless for their base for the black finish. Personally I would suggest black teflon, it soaks into pores of the metal, even stainless. You will probably need to find a industrial teflon shop that teflon coats gears, and see if they can do it in black, typically it is charcoal color.

I had guns coated with gear teflon in the late seventies by a friend who was boss at a gear finish shop. It is the absolute best finish, IMO, but it is ugly. The charcoal looks plastic. Teflon for cooking is black, but pans are a large industrial operation, and I doubt you could find a shop for cooking teflon.

Brownells might sell teflon gun coating by the spray can, not sure of colors.

The Truth

Yeah...I couldn't do that to a rare-ish $1,300 gun. Haha. The idea is to make it more valuable.

Basically... I have an all Nitron black Sig P229 .40 SA/DA with Rosewood grips. The idea is I get a P220 10mm Match Elite SA/DA, have the frame refinished to match the black Nitron slide and put some rosewood grips on it so both guns look the same. Big brother and little brother. Sig only makes their P220-10's in SA/DA in a reverse 2 tone. I don't like SA only.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Yeah...I couldn't do that to a rare-ish $1,300 gun. Haha. The idea is to make it more valuable.

Basically... I have an all Nitron black Sig P229 .40 SA/DA with Rosewood grips. The idea is I get a P220 10mm Match Elite SA/DA, have the frame refinished to match the black Nitron slide and put some rosewood grips on it so both guns look the same. Big brother and little brother. Sig only makes their P220-10's in SA/DA in a reverse 2 tone. I don't like SA only.
Modifying a gun does not necessarily make it more valuable. In fact, it may make it less valuable.

The Truth

Modifying a gun does not necessarily make it more valuable. In fact, it may make it less valuable.

Yeah...I couldn't see the value going down if the Nitron job was stellar enough to look like factory. The Match Elite is already a rare gun, probably a collector in a few years. I just hate that It only comes in reverse 2 tone. I don't know why, but most 2 tone guns are ugly to me.

WalkingWolf

Yeah...I couldn't see the value going down if the Nitron job was stellar enough to look like factory. The Match Elite is already a rare gun, probably a collector in a few years. I just hate that It only comes in reverse 2 tone. I don't know why, but most 2 tone guns are ugly to me.

If the gun is rare, IMO I would leave it alone.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Only you can make that choice.

If your desire is to modify the pistol and carry it is that great, pursue it and make your own decision.

If on the other hand you wish to protect and maximize the value, make it a safe queen, an investment.

You really can't have it both ways.

Last edited:

The Truth

Nah, I'd be carrying it often especially during deer season. I don't really have any "safe queens," I just so happen to like collecting and utilizing rare items such as this, or say, a 3" S&W Model 29 Lew Horton, or a VA State Police S&W model 1076 ;)

Rare as those guns may be, I still plan on carrying them once acquired.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Very informative thread if accurate! I will be hitting up IonBond in Greensboro on Monday!
What really caught my eye was the reference to Ionbond Black on Stainless steel.

If anybody knows how to do it, it would seem to be them. Let us know.

The Truth

Found a guy in NC

Chad at Club Custom Guns in North Carolina sent me this reply today:

"Thanks for the inquiry *****.

I can definitely handle that for you.

If the Black Nitron coating is the same DLC offered through the custom shop at ionbond, (I assume it is, as ionbond coats thousands of guns for Sig) then I feel like I can get it matched up really well.

Give me a heads up if you decide to ride down.

Thanks again and let me know how I can help.
Chad Buie"

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Chad at Club Custom Guns in North Carolina sent me this reply today:

"Thanks for the inquiry *****.

I can definitely handle that for you.

If the Black Nitron coating is the same DLC offered through the custom shop at ionbond, (I assume it is, as ionbond coats thousands of guns for Sig) then I feel like I can get it matched up really well.

Give me a heads up if you decide to ride down.

Thanks again and let me know how I can help.
Chad Buie"
Make sure that Chad understands that you want that over stainless .