• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Policeone.com's - tips on contacts with 'open carry' citizens

Outdoorsman1

Decent article...written by a LEO..... I liked the sidenote towards the end... which has been my philosophy all along.....

"A side note to the citizen carrying openly: You should expect to be contacted law enforcement. You should expect to be feared by some, and considered to be a person of interest to many. Understand that by wearing a weapon in the open, you raise the perceived threat level in the eyes of law enforcement and other citizens. Friendly behavior goes a long way. People key on behavior rather than the weapon. Most folks respond well to a smile, polite behavior or a warm hello rather than a cold stare. I recommend that approach. You will be surprised how many people respond in a positive manner when you do that. Actually, this holds true on both sides of an open carry discussion, contact, or encounter..."

Outdoorsman1

cash50

Thanks admin for moving another thread. We really needed that. We are so dumb you need to come in more often and replace our threads. Also, tell us about any typo's we may have. If somehow a "T" weren't crossed - broken keyboard maybe? - could you change that, too?

cash50

Adherence to proper grammatical sentence structure would require a comma after "Thanks" in the first sentence because you are addressing a particular person or group of people by name. Also, the single quotation mark in "typo's" needs to be deleted because its use in that location would indicate the possessive form of typo versus the plural form of typo which is typos.

Also, please notice that the title of this sub-forum is "Open Carry Questions." Was there a question raised in the opening post?

Up yours LT. I know more about the English language than you, COMMENTS REMOVED BY ADMINISTRATOR: Personal attack / threat How's that for proper?

Claytron

Adherence to proper grammatical sentence structure would require a comma after "Thanks" in the first sentence because you are addressing a particular person or group of people by name. Also, the single quotation mark in "typo's" needs to be deleted because its use in that location would indicate the possessive form of typo versus the plural form of typo which is typos.

Also, please notice that the title of this sub-forum is "Open Carry Questions." Was there a question raised in the opening post?

Is there a question or comment pertaining to the subject of this thread in your comment here? Or are you doing the exact same thing you are whining about that person doing?

Please notice, navyLT, that this sub-forum is indeed for "Open Carry Questions". Thanks for contributing positively to the board in the future.

SavageOne

I believe that this thread was moved from a State sub-forum to this one, one would think by a mod, so that would be why there was no question in the opening post. I believe that was what Cash was referring to originally.

eye95

Comma before "and"?

Lets not get too frisky here, gentlemen.

I hope you are not complaining about the comma before the "and." Two complete and independent sentences can be joined by a comma and a conjunction. It would be improper to leave out the comma in such a sentence.

since9

Campaign Veteran

Then the proper solution is to use vBulletin's Merge function and merge this thread with that one. It's a 30-second chore.[/quote]

If anyone thinks this article was fair and balanced and decent needs to go back and carefully read it.

I went back and carefully read it, Lt. Twice. The second time very slowly, searching in vain for the slightest sign that the article was somehow not fair, balanced, or decent, with only one exception: "In time, perhaps concealed carry laws will pass in those jurisdictions that don’t allow them, and citizens can move on to concealed carry as a means of carrying a weapon legally if they so choose."

Even here, his "if they so choose" indicates he believes the choice should be left up to the citizen.

Given the fact this article was written by an LEO and predominantly to other LEOs, I can't find a thing wrong with it. If you have, you should quote the offending excerpts and critique them here, instead of merely issuing a blanket statement in which you share the article is useless, but without detailing how or why.

Decent article...written by a LEO..... I liked the sidenote towards the end... which has been my philosophy all along.....

+1. Good article, good sidenote, and good philosophy!

Also, Outdoorsman1, good observation on your part!

Last edited: