• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pope Francis poised to redo translation of Lord's Prayer

Doug_Nightmare

Washington Island, WISCONSIN. Out in Lake Michigan
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/dec/11/pope-francis-redo-lords-prayer-translation/

The Sixth Petition. By Martin Luther, in his Large Catechism, on The Lord’s Prayer, from the Book of Concord.
99] And lead us not into temptation.
[ ... ]
101] Temptation, however, or (as our Saxons in olden times used to call it) Bekoerunge, is of three kinds, namely, of the flesh, of the world, and of the devil. 102] For in the flesh we dwell and carry the old Adam about our neck, who exerts himself and incites us daily to inchastity, laziness, gluttony and drunkenness, avarice and deception, to defraud our neighbor and to overcharge him, and, in short, to all manner of evil lusts which cleave to us by nature, and to which we are incited by the society, example and what we hear and see of other people, which often wound and inflame even an innocent heart.
[ ... ]
103] Next comes the world, which offends us in word and deed, and impels us to anger, and impatience. In short, there is nothing but hatred and envy, enmity, violence and wrong, unfaithfulness, vengeance, cursing, raillery, slander, pride and haughtiness, with superfluous finery, honor, fame, and power, where no one is willing to be the least, but every one desires to sit at the head and to be seen before all.
[ ... ]
109] Therefore we Christians must be armed and daily expect to be incessantly attacked, in order that no one may go on in security and heedlessly, as though the devil were far from us, but at all times expect and parry his blows. For though I am now chaste, patient, kind, and in firm faith, the devil will this very hour send such an arrow into my heart that I can scarcely stand. For he is an enemy that never desists nor becomes tired, so that when one temptation ceases, there always arise others and fresh ones.
[ ... ]”

501 years after the Reformation, this pope[sic] still doesn’t get it. Sola Fide. Sola Gratia. Sola Scriptura.

Last edited:

TXOC16

501 years after the Reformation, this pope[sic] still doesn’t get it. Sola Fide. Sola Gratia. Sola Scriptura.

Not sure that "this pope[sic]" was around 501 years ago, but what I, personally, find far more interesting is that the schismatic and heretical adherents of most man-made denominations, which are veritable babes-in-the-woods when compared to the One True Church founded by Christ Himself some 2000 years ago, continue to attack that One True Church. Do these people ever actually read and/or research Church history? Does it never occur to these people that Martin Luther may have been nothing more than a heretical and/or schismatic ingrate or, perhaps, even something more deviant? You are familiar with the good-ole-boy Henry and his reason for "inventing" the Anglican "faith," right? Even if not, do yourself one small favor and Google Scott Hahn, an educated and informed former protestant, until he, too, discovered and was compelled by the Truth.

Also, in addition to the other "solas" often cited by the new-to-the-game "Christians," Sola Scriptura, Sola Fide, and Sola Gratia collapse upon themselves as they exist nowhere as "solas" anywhere in the Scriptures themselves.

The above notwithstanding, this current pope, who enjoys only the ecumenical infallibility as the Vicar of Christ, has quite regularly demonstrated his utter and virtual complete fallibility as a man.

HP995

Wow 16, kudos to you and Hahn for clearing up those thorny theological issues once and for all! Darn them resistant heretics and ingrates so stupid to embrace Sola Scriptura and not Sola Hahn. :LOL:

Back to the OP topic, I wouldn't worry too much about this particular drop in the bucket - the Commie Pope ain't done yet.

solus

Wouldn’t one need to believe in the myth(ology) in the first place to worry about the Pope’s recent pontification?

Why haven’t leaders told the Masses this upcoming holiday period isn’t even close to the birth date of their Deity? [Mormans accepted 2 April which collate to theologians extensive research]

OC for ME

I'm pretty confident that God does not keep a tally of our lives...populist understandings notwithstanding. It's that whole unconditional love thing.

since9

Campaign Veteran
I'm pretty confident that God does not keep a tally of our lives...populist understandings notwithstanding. It's that whole unconditional love thing.

The love is unconditional. Salvation comes with a condition. God's own word says so many, many times. Furthermore, that tally? Still keeping it. The key is that if you satisfy the one condition, the tally will be overlooked.